Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help to make custom item
technologist Offline

Threads: 2
Help to make custom item

Hello, newbie here. I have a model in dae format, made in 3ds max and a 60x60 picture in png. I would like a step by step guide how to make a custom item from them. I searched but didn't find what i wanted. For now I need it only to be able to glow then picked up and read about it in the inventory. The last step i already know if it is the same as notes and keys. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM by technologist.)
08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Help to make custom item

1) Create a shape around the item, then pick the shape after properly scaling and translating it, and on the right, pick "Create Body" in the shape tab. It will turn green and you can apply mass to it to give it physics rather than it be static. Apply the mass, depending on your model. Then go over a few tabs on the right to Attachment. Pick "Su" button to grab the mesh. Pick Attach, pick the model, and pick Done. Your model now has a body that holds the physics.

2) Go to Edit > User Defined Variables and make Type: Item, SubType: Puzzle.

3) at the bottom of the User Defined Variables window, you will see SubItemTypeName. That is the label of the item you put in your extra_english.lang to give it a name and description. Then in your .lang file, it would go like this, say the name in the entry box is "ITEMNAME":

<Entry Name="ItemName_ITEMNAME">Item Title here</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_ITEMNAME">Item description goes here. What is displayed in the little box at the bottom.</Entry>

4) Under the SubItemTypeName, there is ImageFile. This is the image you see in the inventory, with the image in parameters of 60x60, which is what I assume you already have made. Apply it, same it as a .ent file and you should be good to go.
08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Find
technologist Offline

My problem is that i can't open (actually can't see) the dae files in the model editor. A have a 3ds max file and i can make dae from it but i don't know how to create ent files what seems to be the things the editor need. Tried to search with no luck.
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

So your .dae doesn't load in the modelview? Does modelview crash or is the model missing? Are you using OpenCollada plugin, or the standard .dae exporter?
08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Find
technologist Offline

Well, i don't know if i have to use dae or ent or what type. When i try to open a dae i can't because it can't be seen in the model editor. If i try to import it is seen but after import its missing. And i don't know how to create ent files if i need them not dae. Thanks for helping this hopeless case person by the way.
08-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Only been experimenting with all this Model Editor stuff for a few days myself, but what can I say... I simply don't know when to shut up.
So! After importing your .dae file (import mesh, not open), your mesh might be invisible in the model editor if it doesn't have a material applied yet. Click on View>Outline. If you see the name of your mesh in the window that opens, click on it. Now in the options that appeared to the right, click on the three dots under Material and select your prepared material file (.mat file created with the material editor). You should then be able to see your model and save it as an .ent file via "save as".
08-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Find
technologist Offline

Thank you, now i was ablte to create the files i need. I will try the things Statyk said and if i won't face any problems i will make this topic solved. Altough this might take a while cause i have a lot of things to do. Thanks again for the help both of you.
08-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Find