Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What new features would you add in a non-Amnesia Frictional Games Adventure?
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: What new features would you add in a non-Amnesia Frictional Games Adventure?

(09-11-2012, 12:29 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Ah if only AI wasn't so hard to do... I mean c'mon, graphics and physics and whatnot have been improving like crazy the whole time but most enemies in games haven't gotten past the point of see player > attack player yet. If an NPC soldier ducks into cover or tries to flank you, that's already the best you'll get in most games nowadays...
So yeah, I'm all for AI innovation.

Also as for a feature I'd like to see a more open world. This has to be treated carefully of course, because the more open the world is, the harder it gets to "stage" cool stuff (like monster encounters) and get a proper dramatic pacing into the game.
On the other hand it would make for a more organic experience and it would work well with that whole thing of making the player come up with his own motivations that I like so much. If we take Rockworms setting from the first post for example, let's say you could explore the whole university. Now it is up to you - do you try to find a way out? (Smash a window, look for keys, try to find a phone and call for help maybe?) Or do you want to find out what happened? (Look for evidence, follow the trail of blood into the cellar?)
The thing is, I wouldn't want this to play out like a choose your path adventure, it should more feel like a world you can interact with. So maybe this setting wouldn't be optimal for that, as it seems very plot-driven.

Free-roam-ish. I like it.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: What new features would you add in a non-Amnesia Frictional Games Adventure?

Just thought up another one...
Feature (?)---More objects to interact with: When I played Amnesia 1, I was surprised that I couldn't grab everything. Candlesticks, books, and more are immovable! In real life, we can pick up almost everything in our house. Granted some things are too heavy for one person, but still a simple candlestick or book we can hold and carry with us. If your flashlight/lantern is out, we should be able to grab odds and ends to make our own torch!
09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(09-11-2012, 04:09 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Just thought up another one...
Feature (?)---More objects to interact with: When I played Amnesia 1, I was surprised that I couldn't grab everything. Candlesticks, books, and more are immovable! In real life, we can pick up almost everything in our house. Granted some things are too heavy for one person, but still a simple candlestick or book we can hold and carry with us. If your flashlight/lantern is out, we should be able to grab odds and ends to make our own torch!
In a custom story, you could carry a torch. Dunno which one though.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-11-2012, 04:11 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: In a custom story, you could carry a torch. Dunno which one though.
Gary Dark Secrets

Making everything interactable is pretty easy though. Just spend a lot of time in the model editor, and everything can be interactable.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-11-2012, 04:11 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
Really? I didn't know that!

(09-11-2012, 04:20 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-11-2012, 04:11 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: In a custom story, you could carry a torch. Dunno which one though.
Gary Dark Secrets

Making everything intractable is pretty easy though. Just spend a lot of time in the model editor, and everything can be intractable.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that it would be easy!
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM by The Rock Worm.)
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(09-11-2012, 04:21 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(09-11-2012, 04:11 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
Really? I didn't know that!
It is "Gary: Dark Secrets". Kreekakon just posted it.

09-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-11-2012, 04:20 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
Gary Dark Secrets
So have you played "Gary: Dark Secrets"? Is it good?
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-11-2012, 04:29 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: So have you played "Gary: Dark Secrets"? Is it good?
I think it's pretty awesome. The story is fairly simple as of chapter 1, but the execution of said story is just so good that it keeps me interested. The voice acting, and cinematic moments help a lot too.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

I saw a video of it. There was a part that made me crack up, only to be replaced by a creepy ambience.

You'd best play it yourself. Because explaining isn't enough.

EDIT: Dang! Same thing again. 2 posts at the same time!

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM by Robby.)
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Website Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

Feature (?)--Enemies stay
You know, in TDD you can just sit in corner until search music stops, letting you to know that you're safe. There is no need to sneak past the enemies, unlike in Black Plague. I don't ever forget the moments when I had to sneak in dark hallways where the infected patrolled! Even if you changed the area and came back, they weren't gone. I also found Justine to be a bit more scary than TDD because monsters didn't disappear!
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Find