Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra and At the Mountains of Madness
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
Penumbra and At the Mountains of Madness

I've almost finished reading Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and I love it. I also noticed that there is a lot of similarities with Penumbra games, like arctic location, excavations, ancient alien race buried underground and so on... It makes me think that this novel inspired FG to create Penumbra. Now I love Penumbra even more!*starts playing Overture again*

In case if you haven't read it, do it. If you like Penumbra, you will love At the Mountains of Madness!
09-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: Penumbra and At the Mountains of Madness

Penumbra definitely may have some similarities to that. What if the inspiration partially came from there?

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(09-13-2012, 07:39 PM)Deep One Wrote: I've almost finished reading Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and I love it. I also noticed that there is a lot of similarities with Penumbra games, like arctic location, excavations, ancient alien race buried underground and so on... It makes me think that this novel inspired FG to create Penumbra. Now I love Penumbra even more!*starts playing Overture again*

In case if you haven't read it, do it. If you like Penumbra, you will love At the Mountains of Madness!
I've read "At the Mountains of Madness" and really enjoyed it! Now that you mentioned it, the two are similar! Granted both have different characters and reasons for being there, but still very close! I will have to replay now Big Grin.

At times I've wanted to make "At the Mountains of Madness" as an Amnesia Custom Story. The snow Penumbra has, but the textures (not to mention the monsters) would have to be a custom job.
09-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2012, 07:50 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(09-13-2012, 07:39 PM)Deep One Wrote: I've almost finished reading Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and I love it. I also noticed that there is a lot of similarities with Penumbra games, like arctic location, excavations, ancient alien race buried underground and so on... It makes me think that this novel inspired FG to create Penumbra. Now I love Penumbra even more!*starts playing Overture again*

I've read "At the Mountains of Madness" and really enjoyed it! Now that you mentioned it, the two are similar! Granted both have different characters and reasons for being there, but still very close! I will have to replay now Big Grin.

At times I've wanted to make "At the Mountains of Madness" as an Amnesia Custom Story. The snow Penumbra has, but the textures (not to mention the monsters) would have to be a custom job.
At the Mountains of Madness-CS would be awesome! Though I don't know how well HPL2 would handle a large outdoor map... Source-mod anyone?
09-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-14-2012, 08:15 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(09-14-2012, 07:50 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: At times I've wanted to make "At the Mountains of Madness" as an Amnesia Custom Story. The snow Penumbra has, but the textures (not to mention the monsters) would have to be a custom job.
At the Mountains of Madness-CS would be awesome! Though I don't know how well HPL2 would handle a large outdoor map... Source-mod anyone?
Not sure myself, haven't tried making a large outdoor area, let alone one as big as the one described in the book!
09-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Hell, even though my modding skills are worse than monkeys, I just watched "How to make mountains with hammer editor" -video and started to download Source SDK base... At least I know the basics of hammer editor!
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM by Deep One.)
09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-14-2012, 08:34 PM)Deep One Wrote: Hell, even though my modding skills are worse than monkeys, I just watched "How to make mountains with hammer editor" -video and started to download Source SDK base... At least I know the basics of hammer editor!
Good for you, I don't know what a 'hammer editor' is, but good to know the basics!

Here is an image I found that shows a plane flying over the Elder Thing City (image not mine) http://a.tuis.free.fr/images_color/AtThe...adness.jpg
09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2012, 09:27 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(09-14-2012, 08:34 PM)Deep One Wrote: Hell, even though my modding skills are worse than monkeys, I just watched "How to make mountains with hammer editor" -video and started to download Source SDK base... At least I know the basics of hammer editor!
Good for you, I don't know what a 'hammer editor' is, but good to know the basics!

Here is an image I found that shows a plane flying over the Elder Thing City (image not mine) http://a.tuis.free.fr/images_color/AtThe...adness.jpg
Hammer editor is map creation program for Valve's engine, source. It's like HPL editor, but it has more features and stuff.
Edit: very nice picture!
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM by Deep One.)
09-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Very little of the novel would translate well into a real game. Almost all of it is a description of archaeological observations punctuated by a final chase sequence. A computer game adaptation of sorts would have to be quite different in the way it presents its world and bad guys. Penumbra was probably the best way to adapt it, despite the obvious differences in story.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

Guillermo del Toro was going to make a movie adaption of At the Mountains of Madness, but then he saw Prometheus and decided against doing it.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
09-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Find