Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WIP: A very basic mapping tutorial
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
WIP: A very basic mapping tutorial

I see tht a lot of users on this forum have problems with mapping. I understand you, mapping is a process that takes time to learn and utilize at it's full extent.

Hopefully this tutorial will help you people!

I: The Basics
  • NEVER leave huge stashes of oil, laudanum, sanity potions etc around the map! That's awfully immersion-breaking and makes the mapper look lazy!
  • Detailing must make sense! You don't find any boxes in libraries (unless it's a paper storage), any carpets in cellars or any cogwheels in bedrooms!
  • Don't make rooms too big and empty unless it's some sort of hall!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Find
Chap Offline

Threads: 16
RE: WIP: A very basic mappping tutorial

It's more a very very stripped down 'dos and don'ts' list xD

[Image: 20643.png]
09-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(09-20-2012, 06:29 PM)Chap1400 Wrote: It's more a very very stripped down 'dos and don'ts' list xD
I said that it was a WIP.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(09-20-2012, 06:35 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(09-20-2012, 06:29 PM)Chap1400 Wrote: It's more a very very stripped down 'dos and don'ts' list xD
I said that it was a WIP.
A tutorial would more include what parts you have to configure/ program/ script/ modify/ what to place next to each other and what not to.

But I am looking forward to more updates! At the moment, it just seems like game developer advice and not really a WIP tutorial. ;]

(You should include some examples of pictures + the coding or editing of what you need to do to make something revolve correctly or something to interact with, etc. That would surely help the people in development support who can't seem to figure out how to get levers and such working right! Big Grin )

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Find
Chap Offline

Threads: 16

Quote:I said that it was a WIP.
Oh my bad, sorry xD GL anyway =)

[Image: 20643.png]
09-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Find
Shambles Offline

Threads: 4
RE: WIP: A very basic mapping tutorial

I agree...It is not so much a tutorial as it is an advice guide. Maybe add some images to show examples for newcomers to map making? ;P
Don't forget nonsense decals or the annoying case of lazy roof syndrome LOL
09-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Can any mapper add to this or is this just by Corinithian Merchant™?

I rate it 3 memes.
09-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Well, then, I'll add some:

-Don't put flickering walls. They look horrible.

-Go with care with the billboards. They can look very bad if seen by somewhere.

-The lights. GO WITH CARE. The point lights can ruin the atmosphere by crossing a wall (fotons don't go through solid objects)
-The spot lights. I've seen a lot of CS's that put the spot light gobo backwards. That ruins EVERYTHING.

-Add particles. They are those small details we see every day but that we don't pay attention to.

-As corinthian said, detailing must make sense.

-Go with care with the decals. They add cool things, but they can look horrible.

-The items. Is good to have the player with resources, but don't add them in each room. If it's a storage, add oil, hammers and that stuff. If it's some kind of hospital add laudanum.

-Notes must make sense. Also, you don't find them in dark dungeons, saying "Today I went to the store and I loved it".

So, I could include a lot more, but my lazy ass doesn't let me to do so.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

I hope these basic rules list might help someone. It's quite simple and really basic, but somehow useful and easy to remember. As for me personally it's a good way to check what you're working if it's good or bad and how to improve it and make better.

----------

1. Story Telling Environments

What is your maps general story? Why is the player there? What is the purpose behind your environment? The depth of your game world will reflect how long you've spent on designing the background story.

Your environment should always be designed to tell a story without having to explain it. "Set dress" your level to have "character". Put clues into the level that if a player looks around, they could piece together a story of what happened here. Environment design should tell a story and let the player put the puzzles of the environment together. Visually show the environment's story through set design. Let the player fill in the gaps. Why is the specific prop placed there? How did it get there? How did each room became to be this way? What happened?

To help you become better level designer, become a "player" level designer. Put yourself in the environment you are creating. Think of how would the environment came to be? What is the story behind each prop placed? How did it get there?

2. Pick a Theme

Theme is a unifying idea. Theme is the consistency of your environment. It shows through story, from one map to another. What is your theme for your environment? Dark night? Romantic bright moonlight rays or creepy foggy disorientation? Rainy dark night? The choice between interior and exterior could make the difference.

3. Side Rooms

Side rooms allow for the player to experience a bit more choice and freedom in the environment, rather then following a linear approach. Let the player explore without taking them away from the main path too far. You can include items, spawn infected and create rescue closets within the side rooms.

Give the player ways to get to the same location different ways. Give them an option of going A or going B. Either choice leads to the same location, but having the freedom to choose is important.

4. Psychology of Guiding the Player

We tend to seek light and higher ground. You can guide the player subconsciously to locations in your level by using lights and having higher ground (make them go up the stairs for example). If presented a choice with going up the stairs to a lit room or going downstairs into a dark basement, majority will choose the stairs going up to the light without consciously thinking about it. Use this in your own campaign design.

6. No Way Back

Way to add tension to the level is have the player drop down to the unknown, such as a hill slope or sewers. It helps to build tension. From level designers point of view it helps with performance by closing off the area where the players have been with portals.

7. Interactive Environment

Nothing helps to add believability to the environment then having the player interact with their surroundings. But make the player's choice matter.

8. Color Palette

Color theory is very important to designing the feeling and emotion of your environment. It has a huge impact on the visual quality of your environment. One of the ways is to balance cool vs warm color palettes.

9. Attention and Contrast

Show where the player needs to go with contrast. Broken wall holes, or holes in the floor. Broken tree stumps among the forest. Use silhouettes that add contrast and grab attention of the player. Contrast of objects out of place. Contrast light vs darkness. Contrast in geometry.

10. Interesting gameplay spaces

Design interesting gameplay spaces. Spend time researching your location, setting up the story and picking a theme. Don't open the editor until you have something interesting that hasn't been done before. If it has been done, just make it your own way and better.

----------

Taken from a great site with a real lots of interesting articles http://worldofleveldesign.com/
10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

Thank you chaser and Alex for updating this.

10-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Find