Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you launch the game?
User1 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago How do you launch the game?

Noob question. First game I've tried to play on Linux. The Amnesia Dark Descent Demo. Installed, expected a launch icon or something. All I have is a folder with files. I have no idea how to actually launch the game, so how is this done? Latest Ubuntu, BTW.
09-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: How do you launch the game?

(09-21-2012, 09:35 PM)User1 Wrote: Noob question. First game I've tried to play on Linux. The Amnesia Dark Descent Demo. Installed, expected a launch icon or something. All I have is a folder with files. I have no idea how to actually launch the game, so how is this done? Latest Ubuntu, BTW.
It should have installed a desktop menu under the Games menu.. check /usr/local/share/applications/AmnesiaDemo.desktop (or search for that desktop file on your system).

Otherwise just run the AmnesiaDemo.bin.x86 (or .x86_64 for 64bi).

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Website Find
User1 Offline

Threads: 1

I managed to figure it out. Apparently the .Desktop folder was in the main AmnesiaDemo folder located under Home Folder. I couldn't launch it though until I chmod it. Now, for the future (like if I decide to purchase the full game), is there a way I can install properly so I get it under the game folder with a desktop icon and proper permissions set?

Thanks
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

The installer puts a copy in the game folder, AND uses the freedesktop xdg-desktop-menu to install it. Now there are some known issues with the older installer (the one used for the Amnesia demo) and newer ubuntu system, specifically when installing in a system folder. The newer installer which was used to package the latest Amnesia (full version) as well as close to a dozen other games I've ported for the Humble Bundle have worked flawlessly on Ubuntu 12.04. So I don't think you'll have any issues..

I should probably rebuild the Amnesia demo installer to resolve the issue you described here.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Website Find