Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Learning stuff?
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Learning stuff?

Quote: are some graphics and physics engines limited to certain level design
and gameplay schools? or does they just handle rendering and environment
physics?
They just do exactly what they say they do: Graphic engines handle rendering, and physics engines do physics simulations on the world.

I dunno about Cryengine, but UDK requires that you get a professional license with them before you get access to their source code.

I'm also not the best person to ask about that stuff because I've never done a large-scale project, you can go to an engine-specific discussion forum and ask there.
Quote: you do know programming,
I'm not an expert, I'm afraid. I know enough programming logic to read code, hack together things that I need to work with, and to hold onto educated conversations.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(09-23-2012, 09:27 PM)the dark side Wrote: i know that this is not related to amnesia modding aldigheri, its just a question on game programming..

are some graphics and physics engines limited to certain level design and gameplay schools? or does they just handle rendering and environment physics?
I think The chinese room are developing some sort of "open-world" game in Cryengine. Wheter that is what you're looking for or not..

If you wish to continue the conversation I ask that you create your own thread for it Smile
(09-23-2012, 09:04 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: There isn't a lot of theoretical learning stuff, which I think is equally important to the technical. Game design, level design, environment design. General topics that need to be covered.
Hmm.. I haven't theoretically read as much on that. I create and plan levels without "reading up on it". Perhaps this section be done by someone else. If not, I also know a lot of links to be linked for curious users.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(09-22-2012, 11:32 AM)Robosprog Wrote: HOW TO MAKE BUMPY FLOORS! >Sad
Zbrush
09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(09-24-2012, 01:30 PM)Danny Boy Wrote:
Zbrush
That depends entirely on what floor it is Smile Zbrush would be great for creating outside ground with a seemingly random pattern. Otherwise, if creating inside floors, I'd say using maya/max/blender is preferable.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(09-24-2012, 01:59 PM)Acies Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 01:30 PM)Danny Boy Wrote:
Zbrush
That depends entirely on what floor it is Smile Zbrush would be great for creating outside ground with a seemingly random pattern. Otherwise, if creating inside floors, I'd say using maya/max/blender is preferable.

Or Mudbox if you're good enough. :[

If anyone wants to use a free version of Zbrush, look for Sculptris.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I think i'd be put more into the scripting rather than the modelling. Computer science etc. >_<

[Image: luv.gif]
09-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(09-24-2012, 05:39 PM)Lucke Wrote: I think i'd be put more into the scripting rather than the modelling. Computer science etc. >_<

You have a good point. A lot of people have been stumped by scripting/ coding (as the term is more accurate... scripting is the creation of a script- mainly used for the story creation and such). A lot of them don't understand it because they don't understand the language (like me), so they piece everything together and get people to write it out for them (a lot of that has been in support development).

Did you go to college for computer science? If you did, your input here could help out TONS of people! :]

I've been busy trying to help people out with animation/ modeling advice/tutorials.

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

I'm currently studying Computing in college yes, but only just started so I barely know anything yet and apparently the course will only involve a little amount of coding/programming.

I'm not sure if you're mistaking college for the american term (i.e University) So you might be thinking i'm studying at a higher level or something.

At the moment i'm learning more about how computers actually work through logic gates and binary etc, so nothing to do with coding or programming yet :{

09-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(09-24-2012, 10:35 PM)Lucke Wrote: I'm currently studying Computing in college yes, but only just started so I barely know anything yet and apparently the course will only involve a little amount of coding/programming.

I'm not sure if you're mistaking college for the american term (i.e University) So you might be thinking i'm studying at a higher level or something.

At the moment i'm learning more about how computers actually work through logic gates and binary etc, so nothing to do with coding or programming yet :{
I assume you're from Wales? Aye, I am probably mistaking College for University; however, my "University" was called "College for Creative Studies", granted, it was specialized. I was an art major. So, I don't know if I am correct in asking if you go to "College", but yes, I was wondering if you were in a higher level of education.

What is a College considered to be in your country (this is suiting to be in the off-topic part of the forum XD )?

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2012, 02:39 AM by crisosphinx.)
09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(09-24-2012, 10:52 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 10:35 PM)Lucke Wrote: I'm currently studying Computing in college yes, but only just started so I barely know anything yet and apparently the course will only involve a little amount of coding/programming.

I assume you're from Wales? Aye, I am probably mistaking College for University; however, my "University" was called "College for Creative Studies", granted, it was specialized. I was an art major. So, I don't know if I am correct in asking if you go to "College", but yes, I was wondering if you were in a higher level of education.

What is a College considered to be in your country (this is suiting to be in the off-topic part of the forum XD )?

How did you know I am Welsh Tongue?

We can start college here at 16 and join at any later did if we wish. It is free if you're full time and sometimes you can get paid. The alternative to going to college is going to what we call "Sixth Form", which is more like the american system. Its where you stay on at your school for an extra two years. For some it can be better going there because less people go to them, but your options of studying is limited.

So to put it simply; College is a higher form of education once you have passed school at 16 (GCSE's etc.)
Once you have qualified in your subjects, you earn points (UCAS Points). Many subjects in University require a certain amount of points. The better Uni's will want you to have more than the not so good ones.

09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Find