Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Tips for lighting
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
Tips for lighting

So, I'm working in a very serious CS, and I would like some tips from this forum. I work a lot the lights, but there's always something basic that makes them look ugly. I even make cool lights sometimes, but I would like to know:

-How creating, designing, and putting correctly a billboard
-Particles (which I should use)?

And others. When this thread is complete, I will ask someone to move it to development articles, because lighting is something basic for a story, and maybe somone founds the tips useful. The time where my CS is right now is at night. I would appreciate too tips for day and night.

Have a nice day! Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
09-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: Tips for lighting

I'm not 100% sure about this. But I am certain that placing a boxlight in the entire map (very very low amount of light) can make things look a little better.

For windows, using a PointLight should help. Make sure that it is aligned properly (pointing downwards).

Particles, well, dust particles are good. I used those, and they are great.

Billboards = zero knowledge on them. So I can't help at that.

Hope I helped.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Step 1: Have 2 level editor windows open. One of them with your level.
Step 2: Open a level from Amnesia the Dark Descent, which is themed the same as your level.
Step 3: Observe, and "copy". Get inspired. That's what i do. They made the billboards and lighting work really good!
It was also that way i learned about pointlights attached to lamps.

Sorry for not telling you the direct way, but there is none.
Think about where the player will be looking at the billboards, and remember: The billboard will always look strange if you focus your eye on them.

Tip: Use low colors for billboards. 0.3 or 0.2 for each color.

EDIT: And light_dust particles work for windows.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012, 07:46 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(09-28-2012, 07:42 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: I'm not 100% sure about this. But I am certain that placing a boxlight in the entire map (very very low amount of light) can make things look a little better.

For windows, using a PointLight should help. Make sure that it is aligned properly (pointing downwards).

Particles, well, dust particles are good. I used those, and they are great.

Billboards = zero knowledge on them. So I can't help at that.

Hope I helped.
It actually helped, thanks Wink

(09-28-2012, 07:45 PM)beecake Wrote: Step 1: Have 2 level editor windows open. One of them with your level.
Step 2: Open a level from Amnesia the Dark Descent, which is themed the same as your level.
Step 3: Observe, and "copy". Get inspired. That's what i do. They made the billboards and lighting work really good!
It was also that way i learned about pointlights attached to lamps.

Sorry for not telling you the direct way, but there is none.
Think about where the player will be looking at the billboards, and remember: The billboard will always look strange if you focus your eye on them.

Tip: Use low colors for billboards. 0.3 or 0.2 for each color.
In the back hall or rainy hall should be great lighting. I'll see what I can do Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012, 07:46 PM by The chaser.)
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(09-28-2012, 07:45 PM)The chaser Wrote: It actually helped, thanks Wink
Now I'm finally happy for once.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Well, I'm in need of help. There is a stove with a bonfire inside. When the bonfire is lit, a spot light gets activated. If the stove is closed, the spotlight will cast the shadows from the stove "door". But, I want this stove to create billboards. I've connected the desired billboards to the spotlight, but when I lit the bonfire the billboards do nothing (they stay invisible).

What should I do? Realism is very important, and the place where the stove is placed is a place with dust.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
09-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Find