Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
[RELEASE] What Lies Beneath - Chapter One
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: [RELEASE] What Lies Beneath - Chapter One

Lighting looks good! Looking forward to play this one!

EDIT

REVIEW:

Spoiler below!

Meh.. I can't say i enjoyed it.
I didn't really get the story... What happened to Nathan? Why are all those monsters there?

Lighting: It was ok. You should look at it a bit more and ask yourself... Does this look realistic? Should the ceiling really be pitch black sometimes?

Scares: Nothing really... I'm sorry to say it, but most of it was just monsters, and jump scares... Though i liked the one where you walk down the stairs in the stairwell... That was kinda funny...
But seriously... You had a grunt walking on the ceiling in the office? Wtf?
Also, encountering 2 monsters at a time, is too much! Frictional Games never did that unless they wanted you to die...
You use too much poofers! I don't really understand poofers. I mean who would be able to imagine a monster running towards you ready to slash you with its claws and then... SMOKE TO THE FACE!

Mapping: Work on it... There was door frames that didn't fit... I was able to break nearly all the windows in the office, with a chair!
Also you don't even need the sledge hammer to break the crumbling wall... You actually have 2 crumbling walls and i broke the other one too, just to find, the nothing... I would be able to fall into the void.

All-Around... I would say you should work a little bit more with your custom story... It is playable, but i didn't get the story, and didn't get scared...

Also... The room where you keep teleporting... ... ... ... Why???

Sorry for saying all those bad things, but... That is how it is

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
10-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Find
Vic7im Offline

Threads: 9

(10-14-2012, 01:46 PM)beecake Wrote: Lighting looks good! Looking forward to play this one!

EDIT

REVIEW:

Spoiler below!

Meh.. I can't say i enjoyed it.
I didn't really get the story... What happened to Nathan? Why are all those monsters there?

Lighting: It was ok. You should look at it a bit more and ask yourself... Does this look realistic? Should the ceiling really be pitch black sometimes?

Scares: Nothing really... I'm sorry to say it, but most of it was just monsters, and jump scares... Though i liked the one where you walk down the stairs in the stairwell... That was kinda funny...
But seriously... You had a grunt walking on the ceiling in the office? Wtf?
Also, encountering 2 monsters at a time, is too much! Frictional Games never did that unless they wanted you to die...
You use too much poofers! I don't really understand poofers. I mean who would be able to imagine a monster running towards you ready to slash you with its claws and then... SMOKE TO THE FACE!

Mapping: Work on it... There was door frames that didn't fit... I was able to break nearly all the windows in the office, with a chair!
Also you don't even need the sledge hammer to break the crumbling wall... You actually have 2 crumbling walls and i broke the other one too, just to find, the nothing... I would be able to fall into the void.

All-Around... I would say you should work a little bit more with your custom story... It is playable, but i didn't get the story, and didn't get scared...

Also... The room where you keep teleporting... ... ... ... Why???

Sorry for saying all those bad things, but... That is how it is

Spoiler below!

Remember the letter to Nathan in the first level? He said to itself to crawl down in the Section VI, place the book on the altar and stab it, NOT opening it. When you see the human pieces scattered all over the altar you see that the book IS open. So Nathan opened the book and something happened to him.

The lightning in the library looks gloomy for a reason that will be later revealed. "Breakable" walls in the Office can't become un-breakable (tried with static physics, blocking boxes, everything, but didn't work)

Yes, a walking grunt on the ceiling. Adds to the atmosphere in my opinion (dafuq?). The only door frame I found unfitting was the one in the first map, PM me what you've found please. The windows shouldn't be breakable but again, can't really stop the engine from doing what he's been told to (the windows in the office are made by different static objects and entities, the one making the actual glass is the entity used in Amnesia when you have to break the window and get outside... other than setting it on static I can't do much to avoid breaking).

The only two poofers are the one in the library and the one in the office. The one in Section VI should be a normal monster but I forgot to check the hallucination mark maybe. Oh yeah, of course the first one in the first map.

The teleporting was a bit of an experiment, I'll re-add the old note you find in the other side of the room telling you the right way to cross the labyrinth.

About the scares, it's just too late for actually scare someone. Amnesia wasn't that scary (at least, to me) and people have played it over and over again. I don't expect people to be frightened because we've simply seen too much scares to be really scared of something. I tried working on the atmosphere (library, sounds in the section VI) but apparently they didn't work.

10-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Spoiler below!

Oh the ambience worked good... But you put too many monsters in there... It kind of destroyed the ambience...

10-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Find
Vic7im Offline

(10-14-2012, 06:12 PM)beecake Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Oh the ambience worked good... But you put too many monsters in there... It kind of destroyed the ambience...

Spoiler below!

Good to know. I'll cut some out in the next chapter.
Now that you're making me notice that, the suitor in the office is just off, there should only be one grunt there, the one that kept chasing you from the library. I'll collect some feedback then revamp the levels and add the second chapter. Needless to say, thank you for your feedback =)
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM by Vic7im.)
10-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I'm stuck:

Spoiler below!
I'm in the first level, and I've opened all the doors except the one with cellarbase. I only have laudanums, sanity potions and oil, what do I have to do? I can't get out :$ I've already opened the shelf, and there is where I'm stuck.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Find
Vic7im Offline

(10-14-2012, 07:28 PM)The chaser Wrote: I'm stuck:

Spoiler below!
I'm in the first level, and I've opened all the doors except the one with cellarbase. I only have laudanums, sanity potions and oil, what do I have to do? I can't get out :$ I've already opened the shelf, and there is where I'm stuck.
Spoiler below!

Behind the shelf there's a table. On the table there's a letter addressed to Nathan written by himself. Read it to have a little clue on what to do next

Or, if you don't want to

Spoiler below!
The painting in the corridor is moveable

or, if you did get the rusty key

Spoiler below!
Then you died while being chased, simply exit the level
10-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Gonna see right now.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Find
Vic7im Offline

Bump, would love if someone makes a "Let's play" of my mod, for letting both of us known =)

Feel free to do it, you have my ok.
10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Somebody is already doing it Wink Just search "what lies beneath amnesia" on youtube

10-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Find
Vic7im Offline

(10-16-2012, 10:51 PM)beecake Wrote: Somebody is already doing it Wink Just search "what lies beneath amnesia" on youtube
Nah that's just the water part in the Dark Descent :<
10-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Find