Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Rant Thread
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: Rant Thread

(09-15-2013, 02:52 PM)Tiger Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 01:31 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: No, it's the idiotic fanboyism.

Which side of the coin?

Both.

"ermahgerd teh gaemplayy is wut maeks a game game a game 0/10 this Der Esthar 2"

"nuuuh the writting is bettur limited interacion was guud 2deep4u pleb"

AMFP had its ups and downs but fanboyism just kills any intelligent discussion.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 03:17 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
09-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(09-15-2013, 03:16 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 02:52 PM)Tiger Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 01:31 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: No, it's the idiotic fanboyism.

Which side of the coin?

Both.

"ermahgerd teh gaemplayy is wut maeks a game game a game 0/10 this Der Esthar 2"

"nuuuh the writting is bettur limited interacion was guud 2deep4u pleb"

AMFP had its ups and downs but fanboyism just kills any intelligent discussion.

It's like combining a man and a pig in AAMFP. The result is disturbing and crazy as fuck.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(08-16-2013, 01:01 AM)Bridge Wrote: I've had just about all I can take with Syberia. Oddly enough this game makes me incredibly apprehensive and impatient, and I consider myself very patient when it comes to games (especially adventure games). The game is so fucking slow - the animations are really drawn out and the movement controls are fidgety. I think the story and graphics are decent. The plot is somewhat intriguing but almost every other aspect of the game works totally against it. The puzzles are either insultingly easy or incredibly hard, mainly due to the fact that you almost never get any instruction or even hint as to what it is you need to do to progress. Basically you just walk everywhere, talk to everyone and if you see an interactable item, you impose your will on it even if you don't know what purpose it serves. Considering it takes about 20 whole minutes to explore every area on the starting map (running), you can imagine how frustrating wandering around looking for a puzzle is. The voice acting also sucks and I don't find the music amazing.

Am I missing something? Why does this have a 9.1/10 rating on Gamespot and why is it being heralded as the "savior of adventure games"? I don't care if it sparked a renewed interest in the genre, it completely sucks. I just can't take it anymore - I can literally feel every irretrievable second this fucking game is taking.
That's a bit disappointing to hear. I've bought both a few months ago when they were in sale. Started it up, played for a few seconds and stopped (I need to be in specific moods to play certain type of games).

Haven't looked at it since.

And I really wish Far Cry 3 was better. I loved it, don't get me wrong. It was fucking great for what it was and they really improved the gameplay and mechanics from Far Cry 2. Even the narrative was surprisingly good (douchebros and all) but the narrative missed an opportunity.

Far Cry 2's The Jackal was an incredible character in a game that was good, if a bit clunky gameplaywise. I was expecting more of that tone because of all the ''insanity'' talk pre release. The tone felt more like a cross between a good action movie plot and something a taaaaaaaad deeper. But still wish it had a continuation of the tone from FC2. Can't complain though. Was still a surprisingly well done narrative and the gameplay was boss.

And besides, the world got to revel in the massive fuckwin that was Blood Dragon thanks to FC3's success so...my rant is silly and moot.

/rant
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM by Cuyir.)
09-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I hate how people on Steam are pissing about whether Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is a game or not.
Some people even had the guts to ask for a refund, ending up with their request denied.

I know AMFP isn't as scary or as we expected from the last game, but it still had many memorable moments that I would never expect in the average horror game, such as the church, the pig nest, shining a light on a lock with a spotlight to solve a puzzle, the pigapocalypse, and even whatever the heck the "Trippery" is.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
09-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(09-15-2013, 05:27 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I hate how people on Steam are pissing about whether Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is a game or not.

Some people even had the guts to ask for a refund, ending up with their request denied.

Spoiler below!
I know AMFP isn't as scary or as we expected from the last game, but it still had many memorable moments that I would never expect in the average horror game, such as the church, the pig nest, shining a light on a lock with a spotlight to solve a puzzle, the pigapocalypse, and even whatever the heck the "Trippery" is.
pls keep ur shiz under spoilers

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM by Froge.)
09-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

So i'm not the biggest Minecraft player or fan around but I find it oddly therapeutic.

For example, I was going through some stuff once and I had just bought Minecraft. So what did I do? After spending way too many hours of getting used to the game I decided to build a monument that symbolically represented that specific ''stuff''. Building it, dying over it, spending a massive amount of time making sure everything was centered was incredibly helpful. hahahaha.

>Although in reality the only thing that Minecraft did was engross me so much that I stopped giving a fuck and I may be giving it way too much credit.
09-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I'm tired of all of these whiny kids saying "OMG no inventory NOGOODGAME!"

Inventory management was a system developed to regulate player hoarding in games, so that players had to pick and choose which items they kept so as to focus on strategic item use. Mostly used in early dungeon-crawling RPGs, which are known for deep strategy and thought.

Nearly every item you picked up in TDD had a use in the game, so there was no advantage to keeping them in your backpack as opposed to introducing them near the puzzle area. In fact, I'd argue that if TDD puzzle design was more like MFP it would have been a much better game.

Actually, I'd be so bold to claim that every single system in MFP was superior to TDD. The particular use of those systems leaved something to be desired, but each individual system was an improvement on the original.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

I know it's the ''rant thread'' and all but why not (Zoidberg?) save that for the actual threads that discuss it. I'm tired of both sides already. Missing the quiet middle of the road crowd.

I came here to rant and read rants about random stuff, not what 90 percent of the forum's chock full of.
09-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-16-2013, 12:53 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: I know it's the ''rant thread'' and all but why not (Zoidberg?) save that for the actual threads that discuss it. I'm tired of both sides already. Missing the quiet middle of the road crowd.

I came here to rant and read rants about random stuff, not what 90 percent of the forum's chock full of.

I was venting more than discussing, but I would probably get better response if I posted it to a MFP thread, I agree.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-16-2013, 12:45 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: In fact, I'd argue that if TDD puzzle design was more like MFP it would have been a much better game.

Implying taking the 1 movable object in an environment and wiggling it around the immediate area until it stuck to something counts as a puzzle.

(09-16-2013, 12:45 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: Actually, I'd be so bold to claim that every single system in MFP was superior to TDD.

thanks for the laugh

I rate it 3 memes.
09-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Find