Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Do I need two licenses to my two operating systems (Win and Mac)?
robertoog Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Do I need two licenses to my two operating systems (Win and Mac)?

Hi, I own a MacMini and a Windows 7 PC, and I am wondering if I need to buy two licenses to play in both or if I'll just need one license to play in my two computers.

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM by robertoog.)
10-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Do I need two licenses to my two operating systems (Win and Mac)?

I *think* when you buy the game you are able to use it on either. I may be wrong - when I bought GTA: San Andreas I also got a mac version (that I did not need) for free. I don't know for sure with this though.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012, 12:00 AM by darkely.)
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Do I need two licenses to my two operating systems (Win and Mac)?

The serial key you obtained when purchasing the game (if any) is not dependent on the operating system. However, having the game available to you only via a DVD is generally dependent on the operating system.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(10-22-2012, 11:52 PM)Your Computer Wrote: The serial key you obtained when purchasing the game (if any) is not dependent on the operating system. However, having the game available to you only via a DVD is generally dependent on the operating system.
YC was I correct in what I said? because I am not sure...

10-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-23-2012, 12:00 AM)darkely Wrote: YC was I correct in what I said? because I am not sure...

Concerning San Andreas or Amnesia or in general?

Neither of us know of how the user obtained a copy of Amnesia. Many online distributers (e.g. Steam, Desura) of Amnesia allow downloading Amnesia for multiple operating systems, including the Frictional Games store. I only know of the PC version for Amnesia on DVD.

10-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(10-23-2012, 12:26 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 12:00 AM)darkely Wrote: YC was I correct in what I said? because I am not sure...

Neither of us know of how the user obtained a copy of Amnesia. Many online distributers (e.g. Steam, Desura) of Amnesia allow downloading Amnesia for multiple operating systems, including the Frictional Games store. I only know of the PC version for Amnesia on DVD.
I was just using San Andreas as an example (on a slightly unrelated note: I am pretty sure that all GTA games before IV have a mac version) but I was actually referring to Amnesia. Like you said though online services (steam/Desura/etc.) allow you to install it on either mac or PC if its available. If the user bought it retail than I don't know but if he bought it on Steam he should be able to install on any computer.

I may be wrong about this but don't most games today that are for both mac and PC have the installer on the same disc? or am I mistaken? I think I am correct though.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM by darkely.)
10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Find
robertoog Offline

Threads: 1

(10-23-2012, 01:06 PM)darkely Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 12:26 AM)Your Computer Wrote:

I was just using San Andreas as an example (on a slightly unrelated note: I am pretty sure that all GTA games before IV have a mac version) but I was actually referring to Amnesia. Like you said though online services (steam/Desura/etc.) allow you to install it on either mac or PC if its available. If the user bought it retail than I don't know but if he bought it on Steam he should be able to install on any computer.

I may be wrong about this but don't most games today that are for both mac and PC have the installer on the same disc? or am I mistaken? I think I am correct though.
I've not bought any license yet, I would like to buy one that allows me to play the Amnesia game in my Windows PC and my Mac, also would be great if I could play on my Ubuntu Linux too, where should I buy the Amnesia game to play in all my operating systems? (I don't want the DVD version).
10-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-23-2012, 01:06 PM)darkely Wrote: I may be wrong about this but don't most games today that are for both mac and PC have the installer on the same disc? or am I mistaken? I think I am correct though.

Most games don't even support operating systems beyond Windows. Developers like Blizzard might include an installer for both Mac and Windows on the same CD/DVD, but i don't know of any others that would.

(10-23-2012, 03:39 PM)robertoog Wrote: I've not bought any license yet, I would like to buy one that allows me to play the Amnesia game in my Windows PC and my Mac, also would be great if I could play on my Ubuntu Linux too, where should I buy the Amnesia game to play in all my operating systems? (I don't want the DVD version).

Getting the game from the Frictional Games store will allow you to download for the three major operating systems. Desura may also do so. Steam allows for Mac and Windows, and a Linux port of Steam is in the works.

10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Website Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

Threads: 18

If you buy the game on Steam, I know that Amnesia has SteamPlay which lets you play it on both with the same licence. Just log in to your Steam account and Download it

10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Website Find