Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spoiler Should there be achievements in AMFP?
Thinker Offline

Threads: 4
Should there be achievements in AMFP?

So I finally finished Amnesia again, and Justine, and I have a mac, so it is quite difficult to download Custom Stories, and I couldn't help thinking how much more content there could be if there were achievements.

It would grant access to a bunch of new activities, like killing monsters, or getting different endings (including the three secret ones) or reaching certain parts in the story.
I'm warning you now. I'm not sure how to bring up the "Spoiler Prevention" window, so I'm just going to write it out, completely un-prevented.

Examples:
"Houdini" For escaping the Cells without dying,
"My Greatest Triumph" For escaping Brennenburg, unphased by the Shadow,
"Demon Hunter" For killing a Brute (it's possible),
"Invisible Man" For engaging a hallucination in battle,
"Hospice" For making sure Hazel lives,
"Happy Hunger Games" For finishing Justine, killing everyone (I call it that because the recordings of Justine remind me of Effie Trinket)

It doesn't bug me as much as the subtitle glitch, but it would add another layer of things to do once you've finished. Wink

We need to go deeper.
10-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Should there be achievements in AMFP?

Firstly, spoilers are made like this (no spaces):

[ spoiler ]
text goes here
[ / spoiler ]

Secondly, this isn't Xbox live. If you treat Amnesia like a game instead of experiencing it for what it's truly worth - the amazing music, atmosphere & story - then you're completely missing the point. Why ruin the game with achievements when the original was amazing on it's own? If you would like to play something "fun", try Borderlands 2 - Amnesia is "immersive", and needs to stay that way.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I agree with Andy on this one. Once you throw some achievements in there, you kind of take away from the experience and remember you're playing a game. Then you focus on the achievements and not the story or atmosphere.

Also, was this discussed already?
10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

No. As it has been said already, everything that makes the player focus on the gameplay aspects of an Amnesia game goes completely against the unique design philosophy behind it.
I've heard they're even getting rid of the inventory in a Machine for Pigs, in an attempt to remove the last bits of UI that could remind the player that he's playing a game. The decision to get rid of weapons was not only so the player would feel more vulnerable, it was mostly because merely seeing a usable weapon automatically put players in a "gamey" mindset which was not what Frictional wanted to achieve.
Quote: It doesn't bug me as much as the subtitle glitch, but it would add another layer of things to do once you've finished. Wink
Wait a second - you're that guy who pirated the game and then dared complain about some little typo that got fixed ages ago! Quite frankly - I think you're just trolling again and this thread should be closed.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2012, 02:22 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

NO. NOOOOOO!!!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
10-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Find