Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Depths *Update*
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
The Dark Depths *Update*

Got some news concerning my story The Dark Depths. One good and one bad (unfortunately).

Good News: After spending time on thinking a good story, I finally thought up one that should be great. Although the story overall would be short, it should be plenty scary.

Bad News: In Blender, when I first open it, creates a simple cube. I decided to test its .dae export and exported the simple cube to try to open in Amnesia (before trying to make a monster for Amnesia). While the ModelEditor claimed to have imported the dae file, when I selected it (as I put no textures on it) nothing appeared; even after using its material option to give it a texture it was still invisible (not even a visible wire frame as with the Penumbra stuff). I decided to import this dae into Blender to see if it had some kind of problem, but it opened fine in Blender.

I still plan on doing the story, but currently thinking on how to have my monster seeing I can't use Blender to do it. If any of you have suggestions other than using a model editor, please feel free to post them. Although I will be busy, I will read all you post here (so I want to thank you ahead of time Smile )

I will keep my story a secret, but below are the basics just to help you think on a monster---

1: Darkness You're deep down in the ocean, thus you're in the layer with no sunlight whatsoever. You have no carry-on light source (got damaged during descent) so you're sight is limited. Should a creature or object be seen you'd have to be very close to it.

2: Realistic/Possible After re-playing "Penumbra" I loved its semi-realistic feel. Things like the Tuurngait and monster-sized land worms are more scifi aspects, but over all felt real. I want this story to be one that this could really happen. So I want a monster that is realistic/possible. The ocean is largely unexplored, seeing that only 5-10% is explored. The 43' Giant Squid, while living at a known depth of 2000 meters, has remained elusive to all attempts to record it in the wild. Below are the basic stats I want my monster, while keeping to the realistic/possible feel.

**[Spoiler] This monster I want living 4000 meters down; swims up to eat the Giant Squid at times; is powerful/strong enough to stand up to a 60' male Sperm Whale (as they also eat the squids so a contest between the two would be inevitable. Thus far in history, other than man, only a Megalodon has been known to take on a fully grown male Sperm Whale). [End Spoiler]**

Considering that you see an object when it when you're basically right on it, the monster would be seen at some point, even though you might not see all of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Now if one of you want to work with me in this project, feel free to ask.

As it is Halloween, a scary monster would be great. I jsut found this fella online http://chanarchive.org/content/14_x/9566...817420.jpg No idea who made it, but did a wonderfull job on this giant horror. Looks like ot could swallow a MEG whole! Happy Halloween!
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM by The Rock Worm.)
10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: The Dark Depths *Update*

Sounds like this will be short, sweet and without unneccessary fancyness - just the way I like it Wink As for your problem, maybe you could try using Maya instead? There are free student versions available, you just need to register on the Autodesk site. Those versions can then be used for three years or so, which should be more than enough ^^

Also, in general I think that having good and new sound effects will be way more important for the kind of story you want to create than anything graphics-related. First of all to create that special underwater-atmosphere, but also because that giant sea beast would even work without a model - only by using sound and indirect clues to its location (particle effects of mud being stirred up, subtle camera shakes, small fish around you suddenly fleeing... that sort of thing)
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: The Dark Depths *Update*

I can give you tips for that blender thing Wink I make models with it.

The mechanism sounds really cool, but the monster would surely require a lot of modelling- But, maybe... Angel

Now I'm open for models. You can send me P.M's so I can help you.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Next Story after "The Dark Depths"/Deep Sea Concept Discussion

I still think having scary deep sea critters in Amnesia would be great, but some concepts like piloting a mini-sub I'm not sure how to do. I'm still finishing The Dark Depths which doesn't require these things, as you're in a futuristic suit, but would love to have mini-subs and such.

Officially, after doing The Dark Depths, I want to do an inspired version of MEG: Hell's Aquarium. Any idea on how to pull off something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I would put this in my "MOD wish list" thread, but I was the last one to put a post and I don't want to double post.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM by The Rock Worm.)
11-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Next Story after "The Dark Depths"/Deep Sea Concept Discussion

I have to agree with Robosprog here. I admire your creativity, but I believe that its starting to hamper your efforts more than it helps. Instead of posting about new custom story ideas every time you see a movie or read a book, you should focus on channeling your creativity into one project for the time being.

Just make a list somewhere for your new ideas, so you don't forget them, but put your efforts into making The Dark Depths as cool as possible for now. Nobody will remember you for making five rushed out, mediocre stories, what people will remember is the one story that was really cool. Don't ya think? Wink
11-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(11-09-2012, 11:13 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: I have to agree with Robosprog here. I admire your creativity, but I believe that its starting to hamper your efforts more than it helps. Instead of posting about new custom story ideas every time you see a movie or read a book, you should focus on channeling your creativity into one project for the time being.

Just make a list somewhere for your new ideas, so you don't forget them, but put your efforts into making The Dark Depths as cool as possible for now. Nobody will remember you for making five rushed out, mediocre stories, what people will remember is the one story that was really cool. Don't ya think? Wink
I'm completely agree. Your ideas are amazing but it's simply impossible to make all of them (with your actual state). If you had a team, and they really wanted to make these stories, maybe you could success, but by the moment focus on your CS.

You could make a thread of "The Rock Worm CS ideas" and there putting everything.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

I agree with you all, both the 'Rock Worm CS Ideas' and the rest. I am focusing my full attention to my Dark Depths story, just thought I would throw an idea to generate debate. My 'giant monster' mod described above cold work, if the player and such were shrunk down "but from game perspective everything looks normal sized"

After I finish my Dark Depths story, and people actually play it, maybe I will look into forming a team/joining a team to make this.
11-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Find