Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange (possibly normal?) Lantern Issue
TheBlindHouse Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Strange (possibly normal?) Lantern Issue

First I'd like to say that I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't find an answer anywhere. I just got this game via Steam about an hour or 2 ago.

Basically, when I press the "f" key to take out or put away the lantern, Daniel's hand and the lantern sort of...stutter, I suppose. I wish I had a better way to explain it, but that's basically what it is. As he's pulling out or putting away the lantern, the animation sort of hitches as if the frame rate were dropping, but as far as I can tell, it's not. Just the animation itself gives this effect. I do have some overclocked components, so I'll try putting those at stock speeds to see if that fixes anything, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

Here's my system specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
RAM: 4 Gigs of DDR3 @1333Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 XFX Double D (OC'd core clock to 1050Mhz)
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1

*edit

Just added hpl.log

Lowering details does not help.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.84 KB / Downloads: 113)
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 05:17 AM by TheBlindHouse.)
11-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Strange (possibly normal?) Lantern Issue

Possibly that is the way it always is, hard to know, so might have to live with it.
11-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Strange (possibly normal?) Lantern Issue

A video on this might help us see how bad this is...
11-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Find
TheBlindHouse Offline

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvRzWEMX...e=youtu.be

I lowered all the game's quality settings and tried to get good enough video quality to be able to see the issue. I recorded in 60fps and slowed it down to half the speed so you can get a better idea of how it looks. I find it harder to notice at normal speed via a video and Youtube (*edit* from my experience) caps the fps to 30 anyways. It's much easier to see when slowed down.

Notice that everything else (other than my twitchy hand moving the mouse) is pretty much smooth.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM by TheBlindHouse.)
11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Why does your lantern sound like that? I mean, I got mine on steam with the recent version and yours sounds completely different...

The animation looks fine to me, but I'm questioning whether you're lying to us about a steam purchase or not... Try verifying the game cache if you did buy it on Steam...
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM by Statyk.)
11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

Threads: 18

If you pirated the game, you're wasting our time and yours. Because everything we suggest doesnt help pirated copies

11-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

I don't see any issue in the video even if the video has been slowed down. Also, as far as i know, Youtube doesn't cap videos to 30 FPS.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Website Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

They obviously don't. There's these guys called TheSlowMoGuys. They have a video at 10,000 FPS. With a slow-mo camera.

11-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Website Find
TheBlindHouse Offline

(11-02-2012, 06:30 PM)Statyk Wrote: Why does your lantern sound like that? I mean, I got mine on steam with the recent version and yours sounds completely different...

The animation looks fine to me, but I'm questioning whether you're lying to us about a steam purchase or not... Try verifying the game cache if you did buy it on Steam...

It sounds like that because it's slowed down to half the speed. I did verify the game cache.
*edit* Oh, and I'd liked to add that it is very possible that the way MSI Afterburner's recording software is rendering the audio is causing it to sound different.

(11-02-2012, 06:38 PM)TheBlastPassage Wrote: If you pirated the game, you're wasting our time and yours. Because everything we suggest doesnt help pirated copies

It isn't pirated, it has been purchased off of Steam. I'm not sure if it would officially prove it or not, but you can check my Steam Profile and find that it is in my games list ( Username: The Blind House).

(11-02-2012, 06:54 PM)Your Computer Wrote: I don't see any issue in the video even if the video has been slowed down. Also, as far as i know, Youtube doesn't cap videos to 30 FPS.
(11-02-2012, 06:56 PM)TheBlastPassage Wrote: They obviously don't. There's these guys called TheSlowMoGuys. They have a video at 10,000 FPS. With a slow-mo camera.

I have no actual proof of it other than what others have said and my own eyes. I know what you mean about the SlowMoGuys, however If you take a movie like Sherlock Holmes, which like most movies is rendered at 24 frames, you will notice that the slow-motion scenes are proper slow-motion. I suppose there is always the chance of a movie having a specific set of scenes rendered differently, but I wouldn't know.

What I'm trying to point out is a stutter in the last 3/5s of the animation when pulling out the lamp (it's less noticeable when putting away). Overall, I suppose I'm content as long as it's something normal and not something wrong with my computer.

As a last note, this happens on a Radeon HD 3650 as well, so if it is indeed something abnormal, then it may not be video card related.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 07:56 PM by TheBlindHouse.)
11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

I really didn't notice anything strange with the lantern animation. So if there is something strange going on, it's so minor that I'm surprised you noticed. If you suspect that there may be some lag, try lowering settings. But as far as I know, there's no problem with your game or computer

11-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Website Find