Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Science of Godzilla and the upcoming 2014 Godzilla
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Science of Godzilla and the upcoming 2014 Godzilla

Life for me is still a bit busy, but still thinking on how my Dark Depths should end and how the other chapters would begin (though still keeping to the 'realistic' feel). While doing that I was reading that a new American Godzilla is coming in 2014 and they want it to be a "realistic approach to Godzilla". I thought we should discuss how they would make Godzilla realistic.

http://www.apeculture.com/movies/godzilla.htm

The above link is to a page discussing why monsters the size and weight of the traditional Godzilla wouldn't exist on land. It's not just his skeleton structure, but all sorts of other problems.

I found this link http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/hokkan...kanen.html that (through skimming, not reading the full math equations) that discusses the upper weight limit for land animals. In a nutshell, the weight range limit for a land animal is 100 tons to 1000 tons. Now the largest/heaviest known dinosaur is 200' long and 122 tons.

So if Godzilla were to be taken in a "realistic approach" it would be at a size who's weight is more reasonable and realistic. Now I know what you people are thinking (as well as me) "How would it be a dangerous and powerful monster if it's smaller?"

My answer (feel free to debate it) is to modify its origins and add abilities to it. Instead of nuke radiation warping a T-rex into Godzilla (which isn't realistic) and have it a genetic creation of either a brilliant scientific mind or by aliens (which was its origin concept for Tristar's 1994 Design; script here http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/GODZILLA.TXT ). Through very advanced genetics, Godzilla could be made to counter act all of the 'problems' with the classic design:

1--Weight would no longer be a problem if it's sauropod dinosaur sized.

2--It's blood vessels and organs would survive better if he/she fell if it was at a more manageable size. Genetically making the blood/organ walls stronger but still flexible wouldn't be ruled out if it helped.

3--At a more realistic size, it wouldn't get over heated because of muscle contractions.

4--Usually Godzilla's fast regeneration is all is needed to survival military battles (as well as monsters), but I think a tough hide would be better. If Aliens/Brilliant Scientist did genetically make Godzilla, they could give it chain mail-like scales. Think of it, if a Knight wore Full Plate Armor he'd have limited movement but tough 'hide'. However, if that Knight wore Chain Mail he'd be protected and have good movements. Granted, Godzilla's scales would have to be tougher than anything seen on Earth to survive against Tanks; M.O.A.Bs; Nukes; etc. (The soft spot would be the eyes, so he'd have to close those eyes to keep them from being blasted).

5--The Atomic Breath/Nuclear Reactor for Godzilla would be more realistic of it were genetically added.

Now the Cloverfield movie did have a few good points to 'realism' despite the movie's drawbacks. The military responses and explosions were realistic, and the monster itself was cool and scary looking despite being too big to be realistic. If that were taken into account with the 2014 Godzilla (and whatever monster will fight Godzilla) then this should be a promising movie.

I once found this fan art some time ago http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u1/Ra...9320_m.jpg Even though its not official, this design I'd wish would be the official one. Godzilla's origin is supposed to be a T-Rex, yet the classic design always reminded me of a carnivorous stegosaurus. This design keeps the classic concepts and compliments T-rex design into it.

Now this thread is not only good for Godzilla, but making other monsters realistic as well (some could be enemies and some could be allies, imagine a more realistic Cloverfield Monster).
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Science of Godzilla and the upcoming 2014 Godzilla

YOU'RE A NERD!! But I am interested.
11-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Find
rji Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Science of Godzilla and the upcoming 2014 Godzilla

(11-14-2012, 10:13 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: So if Godzilla were to be taken in a "realistic approach" it would be at a size who's weight is more reasonable and realistic. Now I know what you people are thinking (as well as me) "How would it be a dangerous and powerful monster if it's smaller?"

You know? I really don't care. I go to a Godzilla film because I want to see a morality play about the nuclear age play out with a guy in a rubber suit destroying a plastic model of Tokyo while swatting a giant space moth hanging from barely hidden wires, I don't care for realism. Especially in this day and age where every pinhead producer thinks a "realistic cg monster" is the way to go, but thanks to budget and time constraints the "realistic cg monster" will always look fake.

The Asylum realizes this, which is why Mega Shark v. Giant Octopus is a work of pure genius and Roland Emmerich's Godzilla sucked ass.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM by rji.)
11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Find