Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Shadowgate remake on Kickstarter
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2
Shadowgate remake on Kickstarter

Anyone here play Shadowgate? It's a classic point and click from Mac/PC and NES. Had an awesome soundtrack on the NES version. Insanely difficult, but some witty writing and a lot of crazy deaths. I remember being terrified of the dragon's den as a child.

This game definitely deserves to be remade, two of the original creators started up a new studio and acquired the rights to Shadowgate along with Uninvited and Deja Vu.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate So far the concept work is looking good. I really hope the funding goes through, only 10 days left.
11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Shadowgate remake on Kickstarter

Havent really played any other point and click games then Magnus and Myggen, and a few others. So this is not really the kind of game i typically play, And I dont even think I was born when this game came out, but everyone can agree that the visuals of shadowgate are abselutely stunning, and it looks nice with the animations in it aswell. The feutures mentioned seem pretty standard (in my current eyes ), but thats not really a bad thing, since it all depends on how well its done, and seeing how much experience the team has, I think it will be pretty good for the people who are into Point and click. If it gets good reviews when its out, I might buy it to try something new and interesting, but with my limited knowledge of the genre I dont think I will throw my money into this kickstarter, since im not really sure exacly what I am supporting, But if you want to tell me why you like it I will make sure to listen ;)
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Shadowgate remake on Kickstarter

Probably not much I can do to sell you on it. But, for a lot of people nostalgia will be involved. The game is memorable. I was fascinated in it as a kid and even scared by it.

Playing it today, the game still stands on its own for me as well. Just, the music is great and the puzzles are fun to go through. Doing a puzzle incorrectly will often lead to an immediate death, which is accompanied by interesting descriptions. The game also had a cool torch feature which had you holding torches that would slowly burn out as you moved through rooms and solved puzzles. You had to collect other torches from the castle walls and light them up to keep yourself alive.

The remake plans to update the puzzles and add much more depth to the game. It should be interesting for old fans and newcomers.

I'm also a big fan of the dark fantasy style in the game, overall. It also has some light horror tones to it. The N64 sequel continued that trend, it was very atmospheric and had a subtle eeriness to it.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012, 03:01 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Find