Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blender Modeling High Mesh
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
Blender Modeling High Mesh

What does it take for computer specs to support 10-20 million polygons. I can barely get up to 5 million and whenever I move my viewport (sculpting is sluggish), my FPs goes to 0-5 fps. I've read in a few places to help optimize it like Smooth Shading and Display Only Render or Hiding some of the model (I'd rather look at the whole thing.)
Is their any other optimization I'm missing?

I've seen people on youtube go to 8-12 million with no problems. But all they can tell me is that someone else says this computer is good for modeling. (store)

Some specs...
560ti Video Card
8 Core 3.6GHz AMD
12g of RAM.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM by Rapture.)
11-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Blender Modeling High Mesh

You could try soft-modding your card, but that may be too advanced of a thing for you.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

What the hell... 20 million polygons? I didn't even know that was possible... but, those that work perfectly, do they have a f**king cool computer or they have a normal one? Are they professionals?

Because if you are a normal dude with a normal computer, is logical that your computer (not the user) says "I can't handle this".

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Hm... I've never worked in Blender but I know from other programs that displaying the wireframe on a high res mesh is very bad for fps. Since you're sculpting I would assume you have it turned off already, but well, just in case you haven't, it might help.
Also, in 3D programs there's often an option somewhere that tells the program how much memory it's allowed to use. If this is set too low it will run more sluggish.
There might also be an option (Mudbox has this for example) that tells it where on your hard drive it can store temporal files. If the assigned drive has very little free space this can also impact performance.

Quote:What the hell... 20 million polygons? I didn't even know that was possible... but, those that work perfectly, do they have a f**king cool computer or they have a normal one? Are they professionals?

Because if you are a normal dude with a normal computer, is logical that your computer (not the user) says "I can't handle this".
Oh, it greatly depends on which program you're displaying the 20 million polygons in. ZBrush for example has a unique way of calculating them, which allows for high fps on an average computer, even with tons of polygons on screen. 3ds Max on the other hand can make your PC explode if you try loading the same mesh into it Wink
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2012, 11:46 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Well I finally finished my Terrain Mesh (Even at 2.6 million polygons, the FPs is really god awful.) and I retopology it to 11k tris.

After about a dozen various bakes and fixing up odd vertices, the Normals and AO bakes make the model look amazing.

But texturing, god I hate it. It's the only thing holding me back right now because Blender is such a freaking pain in the ass with it.

This is a problem that I've always had with all my models. Is that whenever I put a texture into Blender, I swear it stretches each one out. I've tried 2000x2000+ textures and they still come out really crappy when I put them into Blender. (Whether it's UVs or Texture Painting.)

So I'm trying out "Texture Painting" it's great, but the resolution it's displaying on the model is really bad. I'd to know how to use the tool better and get a better resolution.
11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(11-21-2012, 08:20 AM)Rapture Wrote: This is a problem that I've always had with all my models. Is that whenever I put a texture into Blender, I swear it stretches each one out. I've tried 2000x2000+ textures and they still come out really crappy when I put them into Blender. (Whether it's UVs or Texture Painting.)

You're probably trying to keep the "islands" within the bounds of the texture, and so you get lower quality when rendered on the mesh.

(11-21-2012, 08:20 AM)Rapture Wrote: So I'm trying out "Texture Painting" it's great, but the resolution it's displaying on the model is really bad. I'd to know how to use the tool better and get a better resolution.

Aside from the quality of the texture used for the brush, depending how close you're viewing the mesh in the viewport, Blender will normally adjust the size of the paint according to the size of the brush, and so it gets reflected on the UV image. There's probably a way to get Blender to keep the brush/viewport ratio even, but i don't remember.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(11-21-2012, 08:20 AM)Rapture Wrote: Well I finally finished my Terrain Mesh (Even at 2.6 million polygons, the FPs is really god awful.) and I retopology it to 11k tris.

After about a dozen various bakes and fixing up odd vertices, the Normals and AO bakes make the model look amazing.

But texturing, god I hate it. It's the only thing holding me back right now because Blender is such a freaking pain in the ass with it.

This is a problem that I've always had with all my models. Is that whenever I put a texture into Blender, I swear it stretches each one out. I've tried 2000x2000+ textures and they still come out really crappy when I put them into Blender. (Whether it's UVs or Texture Painting.)

So I'm trying out "Texture Painting" it's great, but the resolution it's displaying on the model is really bad. I'd to know how to use the tool better and get a better resolution.
Yea, UV/Mapping is the things I like less in this modelling world Sad

So, you could try setting the strenght paint at it's best, or... well, trying a bigger texture so it doesn't look so bad.

I don't really know what you could do... except UV/Mapping the model in a bigger image.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Find