Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Good survival horror games?
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Good survival horror games?

Yes, the gameplay of Silent Hill sucks enormously. Even when playing it via PSX emulator.
But keep the hands on it, otherwise you will miss a really good horror game though.
11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

I do not know any good survival horror games. Honestly. Simply because with Amnesia and Penumbra it was the first time in my whole life, when I was scared to shit. I mean really scared how it supposed to be. So seems like Amnesia and Penumbra are simply the first truly horror games I met in my life.

There was a level of the game, when I was scared to shit. That's the Cradle level of the Thief: Deadly Shadows. I was so fucking scared so I nearly could not move forward. But... that is just a one single level of the game. And game itself, Thief: Deadly Shadows, is not horror game at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(11-28-2012, 11:10 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: I do not know any good survival horror games. Honestly. Simply because with Amnesia and Penumbra it was the first time in my whole life, when I was scared to shit. I mean really scared how it supposed to be. So seems like Amnesia and Penumbra are simply the first truly horror games I met in my life.

There was a level of the game, when I was scared to shit. That's the Cradle level of the Thief: Deadly Shadows. I was so fucking scared so I nearly could not move forward. But... that is just a one single level of the game. And game itself, Thief: Deadly Shadows, is not horror game at all.
Personally I was quite unnerved (though perhaps not scared) in The Abysmal Gale (which is one of the coolest ship names in existence) as well. Do yourself a favor though and play Thief: The Dark Project. Seriously, while I do think that The Shalebridge Cradle is one of the most successfully scary levels in videogame history, it comes up a bit short compared to Return to the Cathedral. That level REALLY messes with your nerves. I was so fucking stressed out playing it on Expert I had to use the level skip cheat to pass*.

* For a very good reason too. Believe me, I'm not one to just skip levels because I don't feel like doing them or in this case too scared. The real reason is that on the Expert difficulty setting there are some hidden objectives that get revealed towards the end of the mission. They are TOTAL BS because they are basically undoable if you don't plan ahead, and it would have taken a good 30 minutes to do them. 30 minutes of sneaking through very densely manned areas with very few shadows, past unkillable enemies - THREE TIMES? Yeah, no thanks. Next time I play through it you bet I am going to finish them preemptively (which is what everybody does - I was just unlucky enough to not hear about this essential strategy). I mean, it's not impossible, but after 2 whole hours of constant tension and having my nerves gradually wracked it's just not something any sane person's mind can handle. I love Thief.
11-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

I've played all of the Thief games for nearly hundreds of times Smile I was ghosting all games all levels on the Master difficulty and not for once. It's simply my favorite game at all Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012, 12:15 AM by Alex Ros.)
11-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(11-29-2012, 12:09 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: I've played all of the Thief games for nearly hundreds of times Smile I was ghosting all games all levels on the Master difficulty and not for once. It's simply my favorite game at all Big Grin
Cool, I'm not sure why I assumed you had only play Thief 3 but the way you phrased your sentence implied as much (to me anyway). You have any videos?
11-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

No. Why should I have any? I am not a Let's Player Smile I can't find any other reason to record a video of me playing something... maybe if I was testing a Demo. Maybe that could be a reason...

Anyway. What we are talking about is Off-Topic Sad
11-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(11-29-2012, 12:30 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: No. Why should I have any? I am not a Let's Player Smile I can't find any other reason to record a video of me playing something... maybe if I was testing a Demo. Maybe that could be a reason...

Anyway. What we are talking about is Off-Topic Sad
No, I was just curious. There are plenty of Thief ghost and speed run videos online and recording ghost/challenge runs is a hobby of mine that I find a lot of fun.
11-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(11-28-2012, 05:03 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Silent Hill is scary as hell. In some ways even more than Amnesia. But Amnesia is more "plausible" horror, made for immersing. Silent Hill is more horror with effects. But sounds and music are SCARY. It'sd not a fun game because is has guns. Overture also is not a fun game just because you have a pickaxe. The gameplay is not designed for fun.

You are not the superhero by default when have a gun.

In Silent Hill, like in Amnesia, mainly the atmosphere is the horror, and you can't shoot down the atmosphere!
gglplx pls

[Image: p229xcq]
11-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Find