Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How to become one of them
Racingcreed Offline

Threads: 12
RE: How to become one of them

I've been a Moderator for several forums, big and small; those who think being Moderator is "fun" or something to push forward and aim for are being mislead. I speak from experience here, being a Moderator takes a lot of your free time up, and a lot of it is reading comments, dealing with reported content and misbehaving members of the forums, in fact, unless you're really committed to helping others, resolve issues and are willing to give up your free time to do so, aiming for a Moderator isn't for you.

I mention this because I've seen a lot of members in forums generally backseat moderating in hopes to become noticed, and get the Moderator position; why? Well, a lot of people think being Moderator grants a bunch of permissions which you can essentially abuse, and being a "rank" higher than the standard member instantly gives you additional respect, again, they're wrong.

Being a Moderator requires patience, being able to take approaches on situations on unbiased terms and a frequent knowledge of the content being posted on a daily basis. You should also note that you have to be consistently active in the forums, follow and encourage rules and report inappropriate content to the current Moderators of the forums. Also, asking to be a Moderator won't help you get it, in fact, it's less likely to. Moderators are chosen to those who deserve it, and to those who would do a good job through showing their interest, not given to those who ask.

Just want to put that out there for those of you whom are aiming to being a Moderator, just so you are clear about what it involves. Smile

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. - H.W.B

12-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Since I registered on this forum, I have pretty much signed in every to every other day, whether it be for a minute, or half the day. I've been on a few other forums, such as Bungie.net, and 405th.com, but I have never been to active in a forum as this one. Any of my other forum accounts have not, or barely exceed 100 posts... The active members of this forum really are awesome and it's cool to see them show their personalities, which is what I think keeps bringing me back. It's lively in here every day, so there's always something to read and contribute. Not to mention, you know, I love horror games, and when I played Amnesia, I loved it. I had no idea an old castle could be so terrifying. I was hooked onto everything this forum had. Modding development, cool members, great game with a fantastic team effort to decode the whole AMFP ARG. That was fun.

Though, I always noticed when I saw something out of place on the forums, I felt the need to fix it, such as a spambot or a misplaced thread. Many of you have read how I post before I became a mod. I've never changed nor do I see why I should. >> Any forum I've been to, moderators seem like the most unemotional, higher-headed people I've ever come across. While it's not like that much here, I still didn't feel much emotion throughout the mod team =[ That's why I still post and behave the same way I always have. We're just like normal users, except we move and delete stuff, keep it clean here. Don't hate on me bro!

Honestly, to be a mod made me excited. To be able to help Frictional in any way I could, is, in a way, an honor (I know, sue me) as they're a big inspiration to me, and I like to help out around the forums. I never for a second saw it as "I'm better than yoooou!"... I just like to help. I noticed some mods have been MIA, so I was glad to help cover them. Don't mistake all of us for even bigots. =[ Dats hurts.

Also, Robosprog, a few weeks after we got killed, I logged back in and I was in the same spot where I died and had all my equipment. Bugs ftw =D
12-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

I red what You said statyk... And I just have something to say....

[Image: duurp.gif][Image: duurp.gif][Image: duurp.gif][Image: duurp.gif]
Suck it suck it suck it suck it!!!

I want my humping dog!
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 12:53 AM by Danny Boy.)
12-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Danny, when did this episode of perversion happen to you??? You used to be so appropriate.
12-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

(12-09-2012, 12:53 AM)Statyk Wrote: Danny, when did this episode of perversion happen to you??? You used to be so appropriate.

I used to be a shy mother fucker. Now I just said to myself "fuck it we'll do it live!"
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 12:55 AM by Danny Boy.)
12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I'm seriously tempted to change every moderators title to ''One of them''.
12-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

(12-09-2012, 12:58 AM)Traggey Wrote: I'm seriously tempted to change every moderators title to ''One of them''.
Could you at least give the ability to some people to change the "posting freak" thing to something we desire?
Like "the failed abortion" or "Devil's bitch"?

cuss its kinda annoying seeing only mods being able to do this :c
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 01:03 AM by Danny Boy.)
12-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

(12-09-2012, 12:58 AM)Traggey Wrote: I'm seriously tempted to change every moderators title to ''One of them''.
No balls.
12-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(12-09-2012, 01:02 AM)Danny Boy Wrote:
Could you at least give the ability to some people to change the "posting freak" thing to something we desire?
Like "the failed abortion" or "Devil's bitch"?

cuss its kinda annoying seeing only mods being able to do this :c
Even if I didn't think that was a horrible idea I couldn't do it ^^
12-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

not fair :c you can put "ate your crisps" while I'm stuck whit the "freak"...
12-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Website Find