Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on animating
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20
Question on animating

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask something about animating for Amnesia - I've been reading the animation threads by Acies and Crisosphinx, and I read that Amnesia doesn't like controllers and things in the model. I've seen these being used in Maya videos and they look really useful. I was wondering if its possible to use these for animating a character, and then somehow disable them before exporting to Amnesia? Or are these kinds of controls a complete no go?
12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Question on animating

If I'm not mistaken, constraints and controls are only to be used when animating the model. When you have your animation done, bake the animation by its bones. Then you must export WITHOUT constraints or controls. HPL2 only works with bones, none of the IK goodies.
12-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Ok, thanks, I'll have a go with them and see how I get on.
12-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Talk to crisosphinx if problems arise : ]

Good luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

12-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

(12-20-2012, 04:28 PM)Acies Wrote: Talk to crisosphinx if problems arise : ]

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll definitely be after him when the shit hits the fan! Haha. I'm following the guides closely so hopefully I can avoid some of the pitfalls...

Edit - Just wanted to ask, is it possible to have the hammer attach to the hand so it moves along with the hand, without busting anything? I thought of making a seperate joint for the handle, and parent it to the hand joint, and bind the skin, but that would result in two skeletons and two skins which is bad, right?
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM by JonnyAnomaly.)
12-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(12-20-2012, 10:35 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 04:28 PM)Acies Wrote: Talk to crisosphinx if problems arise : ]

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll definitely be after him when the shit hits the fan! Haha. I'm following the guides closely so hopefully I can avoid some of the pitfalls...

Edit - Just wanted to ask, is it possible to have the hammer attach to the hand so it moves along with the hand, without busting anything? I thought of making a seperate joint for the handle, and parent it to the hand joint, and bind the skin, but that would result in two skeletons and two skins which is bad, right?

You could have the hammer as the final hand (like the brute's sword). The attack animation would be him striking with the hammer, of course.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-20-2012, 10:35 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Thanks, I'll definitely be after him when the shit hits the fan! Haha. I'm following the guides closely so hopefully I can avoid some of the pitfalls...

Do not add a joint between the "hand" and the "shoulder". If you have a joint where an elbow would technically be, your arm is going to bend, and if it's a hammer, then... it'll be awkward. Smile

EDIT: If you wish to contact me quickly about animation in Maya and transferring it to Amnesia, add me on skype. My username is the same as it is here. I can answer quick questions, give helpful hints and if you wish for critique - be prepared, lol.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM by crisosphinx.)
12-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Ah, no my character is holding a hammer in his hand, its not like a "hammer arm" sort of thing. Sorry, should have explained that better! Although I think you helped me there anyway, I can just make the hand and hammer a single joint, so the wrist will move the hand and weapon together. The weapon never needs to move independently of the hand so I guess that will work. Maybe an easier way would be to just make it a seperate entity and attach it to his hand in the model editor?

Thanks for the input, I'll post a video when I get this guy moving!
12-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-21-2012, 12:56 AM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Ah, no my character is holding a hammer in his hand, its not like a "hammer arm" sort of thing. Sorry, should have explained that better! Although I think you helped me there anyway, I can just make the hand and hammer a single joint, so the wrist will move the hand and weapon together. The weapon never needs to move independently of the hand so I guess that will work. Maybe an easier way would be to just make it a seperate entity and attach it to his hand in the model editor?

Thanks for the input, I'll post a video when I get this guy moving!

The model editor will not allow you to attach a weapon to his hand. All monsters have the weapon (hands or sword) attached in Maya and exported. The game does not support item snapping/ linking.

I had to learn the hard way. Sad

In the Intelligencer (I don't know if you've seen the animations yet or not), the knife was attached and combined as an object in with the intelliegencer. The joints met up with the hand+knife so I could rotate the hand+knife and animate like so.

Seriously, though, feel free to add me on Skype. I'm always on it, I'm good for skype calls and reviews if you need it. I try not to be a nuisance (though I'm sure the others must think I am to some extent~~ Statyk~~~ jk I think).

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM by crisosphinx.)
12-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Ah, I suspecting it would have to be done in Maya. I think I might have to unbind my skin to make the other arm the right way... guess I got to repaint the thing. Ah well, glad I found out now rather than later...

I'll add you on Skype, my microphone is busted at the moment but hopefully type chat won't be too much of a problem?
12-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Find