Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Too scared to play Amnesia
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Too scared to play Amnesia

(12-24-2012, 02:10 PM)HitManM Wrote: Wow, the Grunts or Floppy jaws aren't scary AT ALL, I walked up to one in the refinery and I literally lul'd when it looked at me xD The monsters dont creep me out (At the moment) Just the atmosphere and the story line

That's weird. The Grunts are scary as hell, they are no normal "monsters" as you can find in EA's action games. They are so enormous effective and special (when you play the game first time).

I'm sure they will scare you later in the game...
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012, 02:22 PM by Googolplex.)
12-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Find
HitManM Offline

Threads: 1

Maybe it is because I snuck up on him and he didn't sneak up on me, In the refinery he kinda just walks without turning around so I ran up to him and just mucked with him so I wouldn't be AS scared of them.
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Find
HitManM Offline

Threads: 1

You was right about it scaring me O.- I was in the Archive tunnels or something, I got the last part for the drill and then it spawned and I forgot to turn off the lantern, he came sprinting at me, I dodged and he hit a barrel exploding it (Thats one for pewdie) and then I climbed onto the table and he kept trying to smack me from the other side but he just kept missing Tongue
12-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(12-24-2012, 02:22 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 02:10 PM)HitManM Wrote: Wow, the Grunts or Floppy jaws aren't scary AT ALL, I walked up to one in the refinery and I literally lul'd when it looked at me xD The monsters dont creep me out (At the moment) Just the atmosphere and the story line

That's weird. The Grunts are scary as hell, they are no normal "monsters" as you can find in EA's action games. They are so enormous effective and special (when you play the game first time).

I'm sure they will scare you later in the game...

Well, I think dead space's(EA game) enemies look scarier than Grunts... Grunts were scary as hell until I saw one from close.
Games become scarier when you don't exactly know what horrors are hunting you.
12-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yes Googol, but if he's so terrified that he's quitting out of the game before any real monsters even show up I doubt he's even going to be able to experience it the way it was meant to be experienced. If every single level I was quitting out of it because I heard some scary sound effect, I wouldn't be able to focus on the story, the puzzles or really anything else in the game, and if you're going to miss all of that then I don't see much point in playing the game since you're going to miss 80% of it. Besides, if he's quitting out of the game every 5 minutes regardless of how good a job of scaring him it's doing he's going to get bored of it.

Posting Freak
12-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Website Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

At the first point he said he was too scared... And now he isn't any more, to the detriment of immersion (I take it he's even watched playthroughs). Now the game is definitely going to get boring to him.
12-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3

(12-24-2012, 01:15 PM)Earthykiller127 Wrote: you may want to turn a bit the gamma up, and even if you're too scared, turn off the sound.
after that, you'll have to do it without this trick

Turn the sound off? No way! How else will you know when a monster is nearby? Sure, you might know the game like the back of your hand, but there are times and places where you just NEED the sound. This is a type of GOOD fear.

As for my take on the 'fear' level of Amnesia - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw said it best with the closing remarks of his review for it. "....It's unparalleled as a constipation aid." Cool
12-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(12-24-2012, 04:44 PM)Deep One Wrote: Well, I think dead space's(EA game) enemies look scarier than Grunts... Grunts were scary as hell until I saw one from close.

The first Grunt I saw was the one in the Archives at the beginning.
You only can see him very close, he's about 1-2 meters behind you.
And I got scared to the ground.

Dead Spece is not scary because it is action game with "monsters". A Grunt is not a real monster.

(12-24-2012, 04:44 PM)Deep One Wrote: Games become scarier when you don't exactly know what horrors are hunting you.

That's not always correct. In general you have right, but if the whole game is about unknown horror, which is realized by strange effects, you got familiar to that very soon. If the horror is all the same again and again, it will be no longer scary.
12-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

Quote:The first Grunt I saw was the one in the Archives at the beginning.
You only can see him very close, he's about 1-2 meters behind you.
And I got scared to the ground.

Me too, but that was a jumpscare. It doesn't take away the fact how laughable Grunt looks.

[Image: VHg3cDlTeFVDWEEx_o_amnesia-grunt-feels-s...mmaker.jpg]
Now compare ^that^ to this:
[Image: 871000-leaper_super.jpg]

Which one looks scarier?
Keep in mind that I'm not trying to tell that DS is scarier than Amnesia or Penumbra.

Quote: A Grunt is not a real monster.

So what is it then? A fake monster?
12-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

The Grunt looks much scarier, it's not laughable like the other monster you showed. This is laughable because it is a monster in form of a typical computer game enemie. Not really seriously.

A Grunt is not a classical monster, it's a human, a servant of Alexander who drunk some... to become a deformation.

Perhaps it's like a monster.

That's not because of the interpretation, it also looks similar to a human and not like a typical standard monster we can see in Doom or DS for example. It's something really scary because it looks seriously.

A real monster isn't scary because it is too much unrealistic.

That's why I also think the dogs in Penumbra are scarier than the other monster you showed.
Because dogs are real. Of course, a Grunt is not real, but it looks like it could be real.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM by Googolplex.)
12-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Find