Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Monster Question
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Custom Monster Question

I want my first story to make a good first impression. I can think up a scary short tale and such, but I also wanted a new monster (either a re-skin or a brand new monster).

My question is, would it be okay to find a free and animated 3d model online to have in a custom story... or do I need to do something else for a new monster?
12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Custom Monster Question

I'm not an experienced modeler, but I think it would take a lot of work to get the model and animations working in the HPL2 engine. It's probably also pretty difficult to find a good free monster model wich includes animations and all that good stuff.

In Ruins [WIP]
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM by NaxEla.)
12-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(12-28-2012, 11:18 PM)NaxEla Wrote: I'm not an experienced modeler, but I think it would take a lot of work to get the model and animations working in the HPL2 engine. It's probably also pretty difficult to find a good free monster model wich includes animations and all that good stuff.

You make a good point. I probably should stick with trying to make, for example, the Penumbra Worm to work/re-skin monsters already in Amnesia.
12-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

I didn't want to discourage you! You should still try to find a monster, and read a tutorial about animating it, and getting it work in HPL2 (I think there's a tutorial somewhere on this forum). If things don't work out, you can use the the worm/re-skin as a backup plan.

In Ruins [WIP]
12-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

The Rock Worm, making a new monster would involve you needed to have modeling and animation experience. If you learn fast, it could take up to a year to fully understand how to do it. If you don't, well, college told me people learn how to use 3D programs in 3-4 years.

I have a tutorial for importing animation and how it you need to set it up. If you don't have animation experience, then your animations will still look... Meh.

To be honest, if you want your first CS to make it big, make sure you advertise, get your name known here (which it is) and make sure your story is really good. If your story is mediocre, it's almost not worth having new monsters.

I was the first person on these forums to fully model and animate a character with correct animation. It's not possible to really just "re-skin" a model on top of animated joints. You can re-skin on the t-pose joints (found in the .dae) but then you have to re-weight paint it, create all the animations, learn how to do all the above, etc. You're better off finding one that's already done (usually won't look good if it's free from some other website) or asking around the forum for help.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(12-29-2012, 03:20 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: The Rock Worm, making a new monster would involve you needed to have modeling and animation experience. If you learn fast, it could take up to a year to fully understand how to do it. If you don't, well, college told me people learn how to use 3D programs in 3-4 years.

I have a tutorial for importing animation and how it you need to set it up. If you don't have animation experience, then your animations will still look... Meh.

To be honest, if you want your first CS to make it big, make sure you advertise, get your name known here (which it is) and make sure your story is really good. If your story is mediocre, it's almost not worth having new monsters.

I was the first person on these forums to fully model and animate a character with correct animation. It's not possible to really just "re-skin" a model on top of animated joints. You can re-skin on the t-pose joints (found in the .dae) but then you have to re-weight paint it, create all the animations, learn how to do all the above, etc. You're better off finding one that's already done (usually won't look good if it's free from some other website) or asking around the forum for help.
I didn't know that it would be harder than I thought to re-skin a monster. Yes, I don't have 3d modelling abilities, let alone animation skill.

I have tried looking for Free 3D Models for the past few days. Sometimes I find a model I don't need but it has animation, other times I find a free model that would be great but lacks animation.

When omeone here is not busy, then maybe one of them cna help me. Story ideas, for me, isn't hard. I can think up puzzles, depending on the area depends on the puzzles.

For my Dark Depths story, I have the area materials to make it, and story ideas for it, but lack deep sea critters/horrors for it. I wanted a realistic scenario for an Amnesia Custom Story, so the 'monsters' need to be possible for the unexplored deep sea (since it's unexplored, it gives me play room for any kind of deep sea monster).
12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(12-29-2012, 03:56 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I didn't know that it would be harder than I thought to re-skin a monster. Yes, I don't have 3d modelling abilities, let alone animation skill.

I have tried looking for Free 3D Models for the past few days. Sometimes I find a model I don't need but it has animation, other times I find a free model that would be great but lacks animation.

When omeone here is not busy, then maybe one of them cna help me. Story ideas, for me, isn't hard. I can think up puzzles, depending on the area depends on the puzzles.

For my Dark Depths story, I have the area materials to make it, and story ideas for it, but lack deep sea critters/horrors for it. I wanted a realistic scenario for an Amnesia Custom Story, so the 'monsters' need to be possible for the unexplored deep sea (since it's unexplored, it gives me play room for any kind of deep sea monster).

Well you should try giving the re-skinning and animation a try. Can't hurt. It might end up in frustration. The biggest problem about reskinning are all the joints. If you want to have a slimy, crawling, sea creature, you can't use the grunt's skeleton to do that. It won't work.

If you want to have a walking, slimy, sea creature, you can try. If you want to re-skin, you'll have to animate it.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Find