Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubleshooting
Browntail Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Lightbulb  Troubleshooting

-=Audio Triggered Lags=-

Recently the game would run perfectly and smoothly, the only performance problem I have is when a sound effect is triggered, including footsteps, object collisions, and doors.

Every time a sound just starts to play, the framerate freezes for 1/4 of a second.

So for every step, every time an object hits something or bounces, the framerate freezes more or less frequently.

I have defragged and verified all the caches and such, and even reset and changed the graphic/audio settings.
But no changes have occurred. Has anyone else had this sort of problem on mac?
If so, is there a solution?
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Find
stokesie95 Offline

Threads: 29
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Troubleshooting

hi there, not had the problem you are having right now but you could try doing a removal of the game then doing a reinstall to make sure there is no file errors around. the MAY fix the problem but then again it may not but its worth a try.

(01-05-2013, 09:27 AM)Browntail Wrote: -=Audio Triggered Lags=-

Recently the game would run perfectly and smoothly, the only performance problem I have is when a sound effect is triggered, including footsteps, object collisions, and doors.

Every time a sound just starts to play, the framerate freezes for 1/4 of a second.

So for every step, every time an object hits something or bounces, the framerate freezes more or less frequently.

I have defragged and verified all the caches and such, and even reset and changed the graphic/audio settings.
But no changes have occurred. Has anyone else had this sort of problem on mac?
If so, is there a solution?

Looking for scripting work
01-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Find
Browntail Offline

I completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, but hadn't had any luck. The game still lags when a sound effect plays.
01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Find
Browntail Offline

One thing I think I should mention is that I have it on mac, through steam.
I got it when I had Snow Leopard. I had updated to Lion some time ago... so could it be possible that Lion's causing a problem in some way?
01-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Should work fine on lion as well. maybe try to completely uninstall the game, including deleteing the frictionaö games folder in home/library/application support/ (will delete saved games) and do a fresh install.
01-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Website Find
Browntail Offline

(01-13-2013, 11:16 AM)jens Wrote: Should work fine on lion as well. maybe try to completely uninstall the game, including deleteing the frictionaö games folder in home/library/application support/ (will delete saved games) and do a fresh install.

I did a full uninstallation and deleted the Frictional Games folder. After downloading the game and going through the process of the introduction and creating a new profile, the same effects take place: Great framerate and smooth gameplay until a sound plays (Collision, triggered sound, footesteps, even music). Each causing a half second long freeze.
I gave Justine a try, just for the heck of it. That game also has the same effect.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM by Browntail.)
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I don't know what it could be. probably some hardware or software conflict, maybe some setting in the system preferences. If you use some none standard sound card/box then try the default builtin sound, if you can think of any unusual software you might have try tp diaable it and so on.
01-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Website Find