Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everything's blue, graphics help please!
Damian Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Everything's blue, graphics help please!

So I poked around in some of the help stuff but I haven't found anything mentioning this.

I'm on a Mac, OSX, previously a PC user so this is a bit new to me.

Bought the game off Steam and installed it there.

The game play is fine, everything's working great and I haven't had any errors, but my coloration is all wonky and I have no idea how to fix it. There seems to be some super blue spectrum dominance going on here. For instance, blood splashes when Daniel is injured are purple, candles and lantern emit blue light, the fleshy stuff that's growing everywhere is blue, rose petals are blue, and so on, so the game is much, much darker than any of the trailers or game play videos that I'm seeing. The light streaming in through the windows is yellowish though so I'm guessing that's fine?

On one hand, it's really cool ambiance, but on the other hand it's kind of irritating and I'd like to be able to see some junk when I've got the lantern out or have expended a tinderbox.

I looked at the game's graphics settings and I didn't see anything obvious that might affect why everything is so blue in my game. Anyone run into this before, or know of something to do about it? If it turns out that this is one of those games where 'the beginning is just like that' then I'll deal with it, but I'm hoping not. (For reference here, I've never played this game before, and have just gotten down the elevator.)

Thanks Smile

Also, this may or may not have any bearing on anyone's reply, but I noticed in watching the game's beginning on youtube.com that items picked up have a blue aura when your mouse touches them, whereas in my game they have a red aura, like there's a total color swap happening.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM by Damian.)
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Everything's blue, graphics help please!

Can't recall having heard anything like it before. It is only in the game it is odd? So all others games, software and general usage of the computer is with that seems to be a normal colouration?

Maybe you can see if there is a control panel for the graphics card in System Preferences or Application/Utilities/ and see if there are any settings to change and test if that helps. You can also try running the game at different resolutions, in window mode and to turn off/down all graphics settings in game and see if it goes away. Then you can turn things on again in steps until you find the cause of it.
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Website Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(01-07-2013, 02:48 PM)jens Wrote: Can't recall having heard anything like it before. It is only in the game it is odd? So all others games, software and general usage of the computer is with that seems to be a normal colouration?

Maybe you can see if there is a control panel for the graphics card in System Preferences or Application/Utilities/ and see if there are any settings to change and test if that helps. You can also try running the game at different resolutions, in window mode and to turn off/down all graphics settings in game and see if it goes away. Then you can turn things on again in steps until you find the cause of it.

I've noticed that using the Level Editor temporarily resets the gamma and other color settings that I have set in my graphics card control panel, specifically whenever the Level Editor window is in the foreground.

Amnesia seems to be fine, although mine might not be the same as other people's since I've some modified files.

OP: I definitely have no idea what your issue might be, but I'd try reinstalling the game if you haven't yet, also if you have any other OpenGL games on your computer, I'd test them out, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Find
Damian Offline

I know, totally bizarre and random, right?
I poked around at the Graphics section of the Options before making the post here, the only thing that made any significant change was the Sepia option, and really that just brightened things up a little and pulled it out of being really dark blue. No change to the color swap though, checked the other options one by one with restarts in between, no changes either. I didn't think to try different resolutions though, so I'm going to give that a whack and I'll let you know how it turns out Smile
Hadn't touched any editing aspects at all, just the generic Start New Game part.
Also, it's the only game I've got that's acting oddly, I have several other games on Steam and they're all just fine, last finished playing Bard's Tale, no probs there. Anyhoo, back to the resolution/windowed vs full screen checking.

Okay so there's good news/bad news on the blueness. Turns out the suggestion did work, mostly! It took some dedicated picking through the different resolutions, (I'd only looked at a few before this), and found the point where the blue comes and goes. Bad news is it just happens to be at the resolution that actually fits my screen in Full Screen mode. Sad In Windowed mode, (which I didn't try at all before this), I can use any resolution and there's no blue effect. That's good news, but damn, windowed mode!
Like I said in my first post, I'm a Mac newb, do either of you happen to know of a way to hide the uh... the dock down at the bottom of the screen? I know how to make it tiny, but naturally a monster is going to jump around the corner, scare the crap out of me, and instead of fleeing while screaming like a girl, I'm going to end up opening WoW and get killed Cool

Oh also, another newb question, how do I go about reinstalling my game? I know other stuff I just trash it and that's it but I haven't done that with a Steam game. Do I just search in Finder for Amnesia and then move that to the trash? I didn't want to THINK I know what I'm doing and end up hosing the whole damned thing and have to ask even sillier questions Smile
Also, thanks for the help, much much much appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 05:16 PM by Damian.)
01-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+uninstall+steam+games

Only thing I can think of is that your color profile is somehow changing when you open Amnesia. I did a little search and found this: "this issue is related to switching the GPU from the integrated one to the discrete". Here is the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401741

Does your Mac have both a discrete and an integrated GPU?

Btw... how about a screenshot? Tongue

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

In Steam you right-click on a game and select delete local content to uninstall the game.
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Website Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

Are you on a laptop.
Or are you even on a legit mac non hackintosh stuf Tongue
as said above http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/gfxc...ics-cards/
01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Find
Damian Offline

Yeah, I'm on a laptop, it's totally legit, nothing bootlegged. I have absolutely no idea on that GPU question though, but I do have someone I can ask about that when they get back home, so I've got that link up too so I can offer that as some help. Until then, I can give reinstalling a shot, I wasn't very far into the game so I'm not too bummed out about that. Hopefully some junk works out!
01-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

I think you can try looking up your model's technical specs on google - there should be info on your graphics unit. Smile

^(;,;)^
01-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Find