Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
FULL RELEASE: Eternium - Prologue. [IFC]
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: FULL RELEASE: Eternium - Prologue. [IFC]

NO ROBO DARLING DONT ADD ANY HINTS THAT WILL ONLY SATISFY TEH NEWBS!!!11!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

Threads: 13

Alright, I finally got around to playing this. I'm not good at writing reviews, so bear with me.

When I started Eternium, the first thing I noticed was the excellent lighting. The billboards were used quite well, almost FG quality. The sound design was also excellent, there were neat ambient effects throughout the map that really added to the atmosphere.

As for the map design itself, I think it really needs more detail. Many rooms were very open and empty, and the house just didn't feel very realistic. The level design/layout also did not feel very cohesive; I didn't know where I was supposed to be going and just felt like I was wandering around aimlessly, finding things along the way.

I really liked how the player was able to examine objects, similar to Penumbra. This is a great idea and it makes the player feel more connected to the environment. Notes were well placed and there seems to be an interesting backstory. However, you gave me no reason to care about it. Upon first launching the game I had no idea who the main character was or why he was in that cellar. Later on I read the ModDB description, but in my opinion the player shouldn't have to do that to understand what's going on. When I reached the end, I was just confused.

Here's what I would do to improve Eternium. (This is just my opinion.) The player should start off in the front of the house where he entered, and should have to make his way to the cellar. Along the way, maybe a narration explaining why he's there. In addition, I'd make the house more "mansion-like" with a grand foyer and a more realistic layout in general if that makes sense.

Overall, I think Eternium is a decent effort and is a good demonstration of your potential. If you expanded on some of your ideas here and improved the map quality a bit, then I think your next Custom Story could be much better. I'm not going to give you a score, as I don't like "ranking" things. In the end, playing Eternium was an enjoyable experience though. Thanks!

[Image: 9lkjf4.jpg]

02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(02-22-2013, 10:21 PM)Robosprog Wrote: That's.. a brilliant idea..
*smacks self on head*
Why didn't I do that?
But thank you for the review and I shall try to work on the layout a bit as well as transitions, and that idea is brilliant, Electric, though having seen Obscurity's brilliant narrative I'm really not that surprised. And yes, I seem to have gotten a lot on that and I thank you for your review again.
Haha, well Obscurity's was not brilliant by any means and had its fair share of problems. Thank you though!

So now that you're continuing the Eternium series, will the next one start where this one finished? After viewing the Chapter 1 thread, the story seems very intriguing!

02-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

Haha, maybe make it a quick time event. I hear that's what all of the cool kids are doing these days.

02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Find
ThoseRandomGuyz Offline

Threads: 2

(02-22-2013, 10:35 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(02-22-2013, 10:32 PM)ElectricRed Wrote: Haha, maybe make it a quick time event. I hear that's what all of the cool kids are doing these days.

I'm sold.

All I have to say: lolBig Grin

I will review all of your custom stories (when I find time!)!
02-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Find
ManoloKS Offline

Threads: 0

I'm stuck D:

Spoiler below!
I gotta make the trap with the knife and the meat. I alredy got de rope but I don't know where to put it. The crane is broken and it said it couldn't be repaired so I've been looking for other place to put it but i can't come across anything. Please help me!

I also want to say how much i'm enjoying this mod. It is quite scary, and you don't even had to use crappy jumpscares or something. The atmosphere fricking give the creeps... and I love it. Another cool thing is the lantern, it's pretty original. However, it'd be better if it lit more :/
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Find
zeldazx Offline

Threads: 4

Let you know it is not work. Maybe I put wrong place for folder. Where I can put it?
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(03-03-2013, 07:15 PM)zeldazx Wrote: Let you know it is not work. Maybe I put wrong place for folder. Where I can put it?

Remember, this is an isolated full conversion, so the extracted folder goes into the "redist" folder, and not the custom stories one.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I can't get out from the room where i spawned. HELP!

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(03-04-2013, 09:34 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I can't get out from the room where i spawned. HELP!

Spoiler below!
There is a shovel next to the shelf you find all your lantern, and equipment. Pick it up, and hit the door with it.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Find