Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
Obscurity - FULL RELEASE
Obsidiaguy Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Obscurity - FULL RELEASE

I'm still working up the courage to finish this one. It's pretty sweet. Grats on the exposure ElectricRed!

Still love that music every time it plays TGST.

Voice actor always looking for work!
Check out my Portfolio
01-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
Obsidiaguy Offline

Threads: 2

(01-30-2013, 06:35 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Obsidiaguy, I have to say this.. your voice acting was fantastic in this, by far best I've heard in an amnesia mod so far and really made the story come to life - don't get me wrong others were good too but yours was just outstanding.

Thanks a lot dude. I cringe when I hear my own stuff, so it's great to hear when someone appreciates it.

Voice actor always looking for work!
Check out my Portfolio
01-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39

I've seen a small preview of how this custom story is and wow...

I'm scared to try this... But I'm going to go for it.
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Just played, and beat this. I have to say that this is a pretty damn well made custom story.

The strongest point of the story I'd have to say is that you successfully pulled off the feel of the game world, or in this case "village". It doesn't feel like static rooms from a video game, to me it really felt somewhat like a believable, structured village. Sure, this may not have been done absolutely perfectly, but it's definitely among the better up there, and the mod's greatest strength.

Another thing I fairly enjoyed was the use of foreshadowing to cause tension. More than once, you allude to something that's happening/happened somewhere that the player is in close proximity to, and/or is likely to visit. It adds a sense of dread knowing that the "thing" the note mentioned is right there.

Spoiler below!
One of the best examples of this is the inn's office closet. After reading the note, and KNOWING that the guy had hidden inside the closet, hearing the closet open was a huge "oh shit" moment.

I don't like it being handled as a jumpscare though. What I think might've been better was for the closet noise to play, which would also result in the closet being slightly open. The player would then go investigate, and upon doing so a mutilated body falls out (FALLS out, not "flies" out) resulting in a bit of sanity damage. IMHO, this would still be a creepy scare, and would not break atmosphere so much.

Then the mod's story. It's a fairly standard story, but I think it was executed well enough. Although I think a bit of the voice acting could've been better in some parts though.

Things that bugged me in the mod though were some slight mapping issues, particularly towards the end. There were quite a lot of stretched textures, and clipping.

All in all though I think this was a blast to play, and jolly good job to you for making it! 8.5/10

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39

Just finished the custom story and wow... I'm damn surprised about the ending. It reminded me of an RPG game I watched some YouTuber play.

Anyway, I would definitely give this story a 8.5/10 as well.

Pros:
- Amazing atmosphere (Though I need to talk about this in the "Cons")
- Custom soundtracks definitely went well.
- Custom models? AWESOME. I loved the custom models you used. The new monsters definitely were cool looking (For some reason, one of them reminded me of a Resident Evil boss)
- No stupid jumpscares (Or well, I thought they were a little bit dumb [But I'm sure others didn't - By the way, no disrespect, it's just criticism] - but at least it wasn't those stupid naked guy ones).
- Decent enough storyline to "get the job done" (By decent I mean it isn't the best, but it isn't the worst, ether. Not as bad as other silly stories out there, lol).
- Voice acting! I love it when custom stories have voice acting, instead of just making the player read.
- Good supply management; By this I mean you didn't just scatter tinderboxes and oil all over, or just not give us anything, you actually did a good job on supplying them.
- Good mapping (More info. on that in the "Cons" section - But I'm sure you already know what they are).
- No game-breaking bugs or bugs in general.
- Good scares, not cheap ones (However, more info. about this as well on the "Cons")

Overall, a damn well made CS.
----------------------------------
Cons:
- Atmosphere and scares got predictable (Can't say how because I don't know how to use that spoiler box thing, I forgot what it was).
- Voice acting could of been better, however this isn't your fault. Although it was decent enough and good to keep the story going, I felt like it could of been a bit better, with more emotion and right tone of voice (No disrespect to the voice actors - at least you guys can voice act :p I wish I could).
- The mapping was good, but definitely could of been better. However, I'm not gonna go full detail, because I'm pretty sure you already know - since there are already reviewers before me that told you what's up :p .
But I'll quickly say what improvements can be done: Lighting, textures, and some placements of the walls (I saw a wall go through another wall on one map).

And I think that's it! Overall, not that much cons! Basically, just things you can improve on Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013, 01:32 AM by SonOfLiberty796.)
02-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

Threads: 13

(01-31-2013, 04:26 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Just played, and beat this. I have to say that this is a pretty damn well made custom story.

The strongest point of the story I'd have to say is that you successfully pulled off the feel of the game world, or in this case "village". It doesn't feel like static rooms from a video game, to me it really felt somewhat like a believable, structured village. Sure, this may not have been done absolutely perfectly, but it's definitely among the better up there, and the mod's greatest strength.

Another thing I fairly enjoyed was the use of foreshadowing to cause tension. More than once, you allude to something that's happening/happened somewhere that the player is in close proximity to, and/or is likely to visit. It adds a sense of dread knowing that the "thing" the note mentioned is right there.

Spoiler below!
One of the best examples of this is the inn's office closet. After reading the note, and KNOWING that the guy had hidden inside the closet, hearing the closet open was a huge "oh shit" moment.

I don't like it being handled as a jumpscare though. What I think might've been better was for the closet noise to play, which would also result in the closet being slightly open. The player would then go investigate, and upon doing so a mutilated body falls out (FALLS out, not "flies" out) resulting in a bit of sanity damage. IMHO, this would still be a creepy scare, and would not break atmosphere so much.

Then the mod's story. It's a fairly standard story, but I think it was executed well enough. Although I think a bit of the voice acting could've been better in some parts though.

Things that bugged me in the mod though were some slight mapping issues, particularly towards the end. There were quite a lot of stretched textures, and clipping.

All in all though I think this was a blast to play, and jolly good job to you for making it! 8.5/10
Thank you very much for the kind words! The foreshadowing was definitely intentional, and I'm glad someone picked up on that. Tongue

About the closet scare, I almost regret adding that in. Originally a body just fell out, but I made a last minute decision to make it a jumpscare. Personally I think it's good and makes sense, but it hasn't been very well received around the forums. : /

(02-01-2013, 01:30 AM)ComputerFreak796 Wrote: Just finished the custom story and wow... I'm damn surprised about the ending. It reminded me of an RPG game I watched some YouTuber play.

Anyway, I would definitely give this story a 8.5/10 as well.

Pros:
- Amazing atmosphere (Though I need to talk about this in the "Cons")
- Custom soundtracks definitely went well.
- Custom models? AWESOME. I loved the custom models you used. The new monsters definitely were cool looking (For some reason, one of them reminded me of a Resident Evil boss)
- No stupid jumpscares (Or well, I thought they were a little bit dumb [But I'm sure others didn't - By the way, no disrespect, it's just criticism] - but at least it wasn't those stupid naked guy ones).
- Decent enough storyline to "get the job done" (By decent I mean it isn't the best, but it isn't the worst, ether. Not as bad as other silly stories out there, lol).
- Voice acting! I love it when custom stories have voice acting, instead of just making the player read.
- Good supply management; By this I mean you didn't just scatter tinderboxes and oil all over, or just not give us anything, you actually did a good job on supplying them.
- Good mapping (More info. on that in the "Cons" section - But I'm sure you already know what they are).
- No game-breaking bugs or bugs in general.
- Good scares, not cheap ones (However, more info. about this as well on the "Cons")

Overall, a damn well made CS.
----------------------------------
Cons:
- Atmosphere and scares got predictable (Can't say how because I don't know how to use that spoiler box thing, I forgot what it was).
- Voice acting could of been better, however this isn't your fault. Although it was decent enough and good to keep the story going, I felt like it could of been a bit better, with more emotion and right tone of voice (No disrespect to the voice actors - at least you guys can voice act :p I wish I could).
- The mapping was good, but definitely could of been better. However, I'm not gonna go full detail, because I'm pretty sure you already know - since there are already reviewers before me that told you what's up :p .
But I'll quickly say what improvements can be done: Lighting, textures, and some placements of the walls (I saw a wall go through another wall on one map).

And I think that's it! Overall, not that much cons! Basically, just things you can improve on
Thanks! I'll see if I can tighten up the mapping a bit in the next update as a lot of people are saying the same thing. : )

[Image: 9lkjf4.jpg]

02-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Spoiler below!

Dude, that stupid guy on the closet gave me head attack. And an ear rape.
I was playing this using my headphone in half volume to make it more scarier.

Still not finished, but what do I do with the acid ?

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(02-01-2013, 02:51 PM)No Author Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Dude, that stupid guy on the closet gave me head attack. And an ear rape.
I was playing this using my headphone in half volume to make it more scarier.

Still not finished, but what do I do with the acid ?

Spoiler below!

Use the acid to burn the "weak" padlock near the entrance.

02-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Find
Crafted Offline

Threads: 1

After the entrance to Crypt gets blocked, then the main door of the Crypt suppose to be locked, I just went into the crypt again after completing the Crypt quest, I saw there was caved stones, yeah whatever, but when I tried to return back, the door was locked and I stuck myself up! -_- (Fix it)

Now I gotta redo the story from the beginning and continue the Lp where I left off. Sad

EDIT: BTW, the story is going very well! Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM by Crafted.)
02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Website Find
ElectricRed Offline

(02-02-2013, 08:11 PM)TheCraftedPerson Wrote: After the entrance to Crypt gets blocked, then the main door of the Crypt suppose to be locked, I just went into the crypt again after completing the Crypt quest, I saw there was caved stones, yeah whatever, but when I tried to return back, the door was locked and I stuck myself up! -_- (Fix it)

Now I gotta redo the story from the beginning and continue the Lp where I left off. Sad

EDIT: BTW, the story is going very well! Big Grin
Sorry about that, that will be fixed in the next update!

02-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Find