Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Zelda Majora Mask
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Zelda Majora Mask

Freindly bit of advice Syronix, if you want To play Retro Titles, you are going to have to learn how to cope with challenge, back then, games were designed to challenge the player and reward them with success against insurmountable difficulty, challenge was considered fun, its only been about since 2004 that games have become the hand holding tutorial fests that offer no difficulty at all and even give you an "acheivement" for pressing the X Button that we know today.

i Am sorry if this sounds rude or Dismissive, but, if you are not willing to put up with overcoming challenging difficulty, dieing a lot, forcing to restart whole levels due to one mistake, getting no help from the game at all, and genuinly being put through the mangle, then, it may be best for you to stick to todays extended tutorials, because retro gaming is not going to be for you.

Gaming back then ran on the Developers principle of "challenge is fun" not the Lowest Common Denominator Focussed Fast Buck obsessed marketing department idea of "the mass market will only accept instant gratification" that we have today, so most games, Especially Nintendo published ones (its where the oldschool gamer term "Nintendifficult" for VERY challenging games comes from), were designed to be as hard as possible.

So, if you are going to get into retro gaming, and beleive me, you should try to get into it, as many classic games are just so much more fun than modern games, longer, better stories, harder, and with far better production quality (they wont fritz out every 3 seconds... unlike some modern games, cough, the run, cough). once you get into retro games, you will probably find modern games very easy, very short, very boring, and very unreliable compared to the finest examples of the classics, so its worth persevering with the difficulty of the older titles, but, you have to ask yourself "am i ready to accept challenge?" as Zelda isn't all that hard compared to many other classic titles, it was after all designed to be enjoyed by kids as well as grown ups, so, if you are not ready to accept extreme difficulty, it may be best to avoid retro gaming until you are older and more used to challenge in life, as it probably frustrate you to the point of madness otherwise.

Beleive me, i am not tryng to put you off retro gaming, the more converts we get to it, the better, as i think gaming is heading for a Major hiccup that is going to obliterate the console market, and move casual gaming onto the phones, with PC returning to the "hardcore" days of yore, before 2013 is out, and the more sales the next generation of "throwback" PC games get, from old gamers and converts to retro gaming, the sooner it will become as strong as it was in the 90s, i just want to warn you that you are in for a serious challenge with old games, and i want to make sure you are ready for it, as i have, personally, seen people literally sent mad (im talking full bore nervous breakdown) by how hard classic games often are compared to todays hint fests.

so, are you ready? i hope so, or you are going to miss out on some Seriously good games, both from the past, and possibly, to be seen in the near future.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM by the dark side.)
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

dark side. please separate your post in several paragraphs to improve readability.

Quote:as zelda isnt all that hard compared to many other classic titles, it
was after all designed to be enjoyed by kids as well as grown ups, so,
if your are not ready to accept extreme difficulty, it may be best to
avoid retro gaming,
If this is the case, then what was the point of bringing up such a matter in such a long post on a thread about Zelda?

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
02-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

because i want this user to see what a challenge he is in for, it will help him discover if he is ready, so he can then ignore the challenge and see the games positives, as Majoricas Mask, although not a patch on Ocarina of Time, is still one of the greatest games ever made, so i really want him to enjoy it as that, and not skip it because its "too hard" compared to a modern day title.

wich should hopefully, once he has seen how much better classic titles are, may lead to an interest in other retro games, wich i think he, and pretty much anyone else who wants to continue gaming, unless they want to play iphone games, post hiccup, is going to need in order to appreciate the next generation.

As i think a lot of the next gen titles we have seen, just the usual lowest common denominator pap, but with better graphics, are going to get cancelled when the console market is annihilated in the, in my opinion, inevitable next big games crash, wich i think will happen this year when Biden starts Regulates the media in America, As he promised to do in the wake of conneticut, as i think his research will show that, the current MMS style shooter is attracting a very agressive, highly mentally unstable audience, as oppsed to harder, more old fashioned games, wich tend to attract a more mature, and stable audience, who play them "for the challenge", were as the young audience plays COD and Co "to killz".

(Seeing as 90% of games sales are from games like Call of Duty, Halo, and Battlefieild, and 90% of there sales come from America, with those games banned in America, the companies that make them will suddenly find there main cashflow cut off, leading them to crash wich will crash the games industry when wallstreet gets scared, like they did with atari 83, and pull the money out)

These Cancelled titles will probably be replaced with a lot of Retro Throwback high challenge games to appeal to the older/"hardcore" gamers, mainly in the challenge loving european and asian markets who will stay loyall through the hiccup, as the causal gamers, like they did in '83, will run away to other hobbies again, like skateboarding, and wont be around to ruin gaming again for a good decade. And stay sane when confronted with these more challenging titles .

also, post seperated, sorry.

what has it got to do with zelda. easy. Zelda is a very challenging little masterpiece, and is the perfect game to learn how to cope with "Hardcore retro gaming" so im, just telling the user why i think he needs to learn to cope with zelda, and other retro titles.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM by the dark side.)
02-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Find
Syronix Offline

Threads: 4

Alright bring it I'm ready

By the way

I've already played other retro games ,just so you know
02-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Good on you Syronix Smile

so, other than Zelda, any other faves?
02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(02-03-2013, 10:01 AM)Syronix Wrote: Yeah, I think it will be hard. Though the story is good, I played it with the project 64 emulator like you did. But haven't complete it yet though. Its pretty hardcore, man. I just skip to the ending.

Majora's mask is actually not that difficult. It just takes a little bit of brainwork. Same goes for Ocarina of Time. The Water Temple isn't nearly as bad as everybody says it is. Once you remember the hidden room, that temple becomes rather simple.

Though I suppose I find both games simple because I've completed the both of them numerous times, along with most other Zelda titles.
Ah well. Big Grin

02-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-03-2013, 06:04 PM)the dark side Wrote: wich i think will happen this year when Obama bans Shoot em ups in America, As he promised to do in the wake of conneticut

lol

Posting Freak
02-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Perhaps shoot em ups was the wrong word, i should have said VP Biden's actual world, research into the effects of violent media so it can be regulated. sorry. either way, it still stands, the strongest sales of casual games, are in america, when the american market vanishes, a lot of companies will collapse,. a good thing, it means less mass effect and more zelda!
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM by the dark side.)
02-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

No, Obama never said anything like that anywhere and this just further proves the fact that half of what you say you completely pull out of your ass. For fuck's sake for someone who seems to be so obsessed with video games I'd really hope you don't subscribe to the belief of violent games causing violence.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM by Kman.)
02-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(02-03-2013, 10:36 PM)Kman Wrote: No, Obama never said anything like that anywhere and this just further proves the fact that half of what you say you completely pull out of your ass. For fuck's sake for someone who seems to be so obsessed with video games I'd really hope you don't subscribe to the belief of violent games causing violence.

What? Fuck no, that'd be ridiculous! There's actually a very logical reason for what the dark side thinks. He just needs a new plan for his war on CoD, since the sacrificial murder of a baby lamb -- to summon Satan so that he might use his awesome might to eradicate InfinityWard -- wouldn't fit his work regimen.
02-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Find