Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Stories I want to do but unable to
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Custom Stories I want to do but unable to

To get some help, I've decided to list custom stories I thought up and the problem(s) that keeps me from making it. I desire your help and/or feedback on them. If any of you wish to help design this, or want to make for yourself, feel free to mention/ask.

Story Title: The Dark Depths of the Abyss

Basic Story Premise: You're a deep sea explorer in an experimental deep dive suit. On your trip into an oceanic trench, you encounter a bio-illuminescent monster.

Thing(s) keeping this story from being made: While I planned on using a Kaernk-Class monster, I'm unable to add a light as its particle effect when it moves/attacks.

---------------------------

Story Title: The Desert

Basic Story Premise: You're a biologist hoping to prove or disprove the existence of the Mongolian Death Worm... you got more than you bargained for.

Thing(s) keeping this story from being made: My computer really lags when I get to the animations section in my HPL ModelEditor, so I can't attempt to add animations to the Penumbra Worm to have in Amnesia.

----------------------------
Story Title: Madness in the Mansion

Basic Story Premise: You're a police investigator after someone who calls himself 'The Keeper' in an old mansion outside your town.

Thing(s) keeping this story from being made: This adventure would have more than one version of the story. The idea was a script would randomly generate one of several notes on your desk (# of notes is = to # of story variants). Depending on which story you get depends on which version of the mansion you enter. However, I have no clue how to 'add' a script code to a script box to do this. I don't even know Amnesia Scripting so I couldn't tell you how to write this. Plus, while I would use the regular Amnesia/Penumbra monsters, I'd want new monsters to add to that "What lurks around this corner" feeling.

--------------------------------

Story Title: The Asylum

Basic Story Premise: An undercover agent send you an urgent message saying he needs help, something is dreadfully wrong with the Asylum (which he was posing as an insane person) he was in. Upon arriving there, you would encounter 'scientists' much like the one in this artwork I found online http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/1...dan2st.jpg

Thing(s) keeping this story from being made: The style of monster pictured in the link above I can't due because I don't have a working 3D modeling program.
--------------------------------------------

As you can see I have a well of story ideas, but lack the ability to make them at this time.
02-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Custom Stories I want to do but unable to

(02-05-2013, 04:52 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Story Title: The Dark Depths of the Abyss

Basic Story Premise: You're a deep sea explorer in an experimental deep dive suit. On your trip into an oceanic trench, you encounter a bio-illuminescent monster.

Thing(s) keeping this story from being made: While I planned on using a Kaernk-Class monster, I'm unable to add a light as its particle effect when it moves/attacks.

Seems to me the thing you are lacking for this idea is assets to make a convincing deep-sea environment. Adding an animated billboard to a monster is not much of a problem, modelling the bottom of the ocean, and making it convincing, and importantly, interesting, is the real challenge.

I could help you write that part of the script you refer to in 'Madness in the Mansion' if you like, but if you don't know how to script at all then you may have trouble with the rest of it Smile

02-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(02-05-2013, 04:52 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Story Title: The Dark Depths of the Abyss

So what you are saying is that when it moves, the light is absent in that body? Well, you could use a particle so that the water looked crippled with waves, simulating something is there.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-05-2013, 10:33 AM)Adrianis Wrote:

Seems to me the thing you are lacking for this idea is assets to make a convincing deep-sea environment. Adding an animated billboard to a monster is not much of a problem, modelling the bottom of the ocean, and making it convincing, and importantly, interesting, is the real challenge.

I could help you write that part of the script you refer to in 'Madness in the Mansion' if you like, but if you don't know how to script at all then you may have trouble with the rest of it Smile

That's true, I only have a few rock walls and some water to work with. FG really needs an underwater adventure. It would be a challenge to make.

I would be happy and greatly appreciate it if you wrote the script part for 'Madness in the Mansion' story. Yes, I don't know how to script FG scripting (I know some C++, though haven't used this knowledge in years). I also don't know how to 'attach' scripting code to the appropriate script box.
02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

(02-05-2013, 03:14 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I would be happy and greatly appreciate it if you wrote the script part for 'Madness in the Mansion' story. Yes, I don't know how to script FG scripting (I know some C++, though haven't used this knowledge in years). I also don't know how to 'attach' scripting code to the appropriate script box.

"wrote the script part for 'Madness in the Mansion' story"

What I meant was, I'm happy to write the part where there are several random notes, and you go to different parts of the mansion, that shouldn't be very difficult. The rest of the scritping for the rest of the game would be up to you, I'm sorry to say! Spacies keeps me busy enough Smile

If you know even a tiny bit of C++, use of variables, logic statements / loops and functions then you know everything you need for HPL2 scripting - its just a case of 'fitting' in what you know. There are loads of great tutorials that can get you started, it's really simple to learn the basics, then you can fit in what you know from C++. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'script box', but the script code file (.hps) is 'attached' to a map file (.map) simply by name, and being in the same folder...

02-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-05-2013, 03:46 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(02-05-2013, 03:14 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I would be happy and greatly appreciate it if you wrote the script part for 'Madness in the Mansion' story. Yes, I don't know how to script FG scripting (I know some C++, though haven't used this knowledge in years). I also don't know how to 'attach' scripting code to the appropriate script box.

"wrote the script part for 'Madness in the Mansion' story"

What I meant was, I'm happy to write the part where there are several random notes, and you go to different parts of the mansion, that shouldn't be very difficult. The rest of the scritping for the rest of the game would be up to you, I'm sorry to say! Spacies keeps me busy enough Smile

If you know even a tiny bit of C++, use of variables, logic statements / loops and functions then you know everything you need for HPL2 scripting - its just a case of 'fitting' in what you know. There are loads of great tutorials that can get you started, it's really simple to learn the basics, then you can fit in what you know from C++. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'script box', but the script code file (.hps) is 'attached' to a map file (.map) simply by name, and being in the same folder...
Thanks for the explanation. I planned on the "several random notes, and you go to different parts of the mansion" being the only scripted event. Now figuring out the different ending notes in the 'end credits' section I will figure out once I get there.

Now let's see if I understand this correctly. Let's say we have a script coding called "RandomNotes". I then make a the script area in the LevelEditor (represented by a red box) also called "RandomNotes". Would this mean the coding knows to start once you enter the script area of the same name?
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

(02-05-2013, 04:11 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Now let's see if I understand this correctly. Let's say we have a script coding called "RandomNotes". I then make a the script area in the LevelEditor (represented by a red box) also called "RandomNotes". Would this mean the coding knows to start once you enter the script area of the same name?

Ohhh, thats what you meant by script box Tongue Ignore what I said then.

There are two ways of 'connecting' a script area to a piece of code.
Lets say you have a function called 'RandomNotes', and the script area called 'SA_RandomNotes' (the SA stands for 'script area', to make it obvious what it is)
For me, the simplest way to connect these two is like this...

void OnStart()
{
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "SA_RandomNotes", "RandomNotes", true, 0);
}

void RandomNotes(string &in strParent, string &in strChild, int inState)
{
// stuff happens when you go into script area
}

The line in OnStart, 'AddEntityCollideCallback', basically means that when the first item on the list ("Player") comes into contact with the second ("SA_RandomNotes"), it 'activates' (or, 'calls') the function named in the third ("RandomNotes").

The other way of doing it is within the level editor, if you select the script area and go to the 'Area' tab (think its called area, sorry at work at the moment so can't check!), you can add the collide callback by writing the function name that you want to activate into the appropriate box. This I don't personally like, as it makes things more complicated if you want to change the function names (you'll need to remember to change them in the level editor too, rather than just the hps)

02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-05-2013, 04:46 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(02-05-2013, 04:11 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Now let's see if I understand this correctly. Let's say we have a script coding called "RandomNotes". I then make a the script area in the LevelEditor (represented by a red box) also called "RandomNotes". Would this mean the coding knows to start once you enter the script area of the same name?

Ohhh, thats what you meant by script box Tongue Ignore what I said then.

There are two ways of 'connecting' a script area to a piece of code.
Lets say you have a function called 'RandomNotes', and the script area called 'SA_RandomNotes' (the SA stands for 'script area', to make it obvious what it is)
For me, the simplest way to connect these two is like this...

void OnStart()
{
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "SA_RandomNotes", "RandomNotes", true, 0);
}

void RandomNotes(string &in strParent, string &in strChild, int inState)
{
// stuff happens when you go into script area
}

The line in OnStart, 'AddEntityCollideCallback', basically means that when the first item on the list ("Player") comes into contact with the second ("SA_RandomNotes"), it 'activates' (or, 'calls') the function named in the third ("RandomNotes").

The other way of doing it is within the level editor, if you select the script area and go to the 'Area' tab (think its called area, sorry at work at the moment so can't check!), you can add the collide callback by writing the function name that you want to activate into the appropriate box. This I don't personally like, as it makes things more complicated if you want to change the function names (you'll need to remember to change them in the level editor too, rather than just the hps)

Wow! Thank you! This really helps in explaining how to 'connect' the two together! Big Grin

Whenever you're not busy, maybe we can work on this (if you need help with the game your working on, let me know and I can see what I can do.)
02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

I'm rarely not busy, but feel free to drop me a PM anytime, hopefully I'll be able to help you out Smile

02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-05-2013, 05:06 PM)Adrianis Wrote: I'm rarely not busy, but feel free to drop me a PM anytime, hopefully I'll be able to help you out Smile

Will do, once I too am not busy Smile
02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Find