Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Slender: The Arrival Beta
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta

(02-22-2013, 06:36 AM)NightSshadeGaming Wrote: First of all the first slender was much harder.

The full game will have a hardcore mode. From the FAQ:

The game seems easier than The Eight Pages

We intentionally designed the game to be easier than The Eight Pages. This is so a broader audience has a better chance at completion especially when we have further levels we want them to be able to progress to. But fear not, we have a 'Hardcore' difficulty mode for the ambitious.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
02-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(02-21-2013, 03:07 PM)Brosive Wrote:
(02-21-2013, 03:04 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Crazy combination:
Play Slender, Slender: The Arrival, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and finally Amnesia one after the other. YOU CANNOT SLEEP FOR 2 MONTHS!

Why would you put Slender on that list, it isn't even scary. (IMO)

Please...just, stop, right there right now.

Don't talk

Because what you just said, is extremely ignorant

Slender IS scary, just because it's not scary to you, doesn't change the fact that other people do enjoy the game and find it genuinely frightening.

What is and isn't scary is completely subjective to the person playing it, I've met people who think Amnesia is a yawn-fest, and I've met people who think Dead Space is terrifying, because jump scares get them really bad.

So to fix your statement

Slender isn't scary to me and I don't feel it belongs on that list

Voila, I just changed your statement, from a statement of fact, to a statement of opinion
02-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

You realize by that logic you could say Justin Bieber is a great musician because a few people enjoy his music right?

Besides, it should be pretty obvious that that was just his opinion based on the fact that he was saying it. That would just be dumb if everyone had to say "in my opinion" before saying anything opinionated, that should be a given. And on that note if you're going to complain about him saying it's not scary shouldn't you also be complaining about people who say it is scary? I mean, I don't see people saying anything about it being their opinion in any of the posts saying that it is scary.

Posting Freak
02-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Website Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(02-22-2013, 11:57 PM)Kman Wrote: You realize by that logic you could say Justin Bieber is a great musician because a few people enjoy his music right?

Besides, it should be pretty obvious that that was just his opinion based on the fact that he was saying it. That would just be dumb if everyone had to say "in my opinion" before saying anything opinionated, that should be a given. And on that note if you're going to complain about him saying it's not scary shouldn't you also be complaining about people who say it is scary? I mean, I don't see people saying anything about it being their opinion in any of the posts saying that it is scary.

You realize I didn't just say that right?

Nowhere did I say because it's an opinion that something is 'great' 'good' or 'bad'

And no, he stated it as a fact, not an opinion
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013, 12:36 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
02-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(02-23-2013, 12:35 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Nowhere did I say because it's an opinion that something is 'great' 'good' or 'bad'

"Slender IS scary, just because it's not scary to you, doesn't change the fact that other people do enjoy the game and find it genuinely frightening."

(02-23-2013, 12:35 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: And no, he stated it as a fact, not an opinion

(02-21-2013, 03:07 PM)Brosive Wrote: Why would you put Slender on that list, it isn't even scary. (IMO)

Did you just completely skip over that or

Either way, it should be pretty obvious that he was saying it's his opinion regardless of if he said "in my opinion" at the end. By that logic anytime you ever say "I like ___" or "I really think ___ sucks" or something like that you have to say "in my opinion" at the end or you're obviously stating it as fact, which is stupid.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013, 12:49 AM by Kman.)
02-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(02-22-2013, 09:06 AM)Kman Wrote: I dunno how games manage to make people lose sleep. I know you're probably joking with that post, I'm just talking about people who say they actually lose sleep over a videogame. With a movie or book or short story I can understand because you're being presented a story that you're not actively part of so when it ends it's easy to apply aspects of it to your own life, but with games I'm only really scared when I'm actually in the game.

Are you unaware of the contradictory nature of your post? Games can make you lose sleep exactly because you are an active part of them. Movies and books are all predetermined, in the sense that you are merely a spectator watching the story unfold. They can be scary too, but games are much scarier by default because you have to make all of the decisions. By extension, they are much easier to apply to your own life because everything in them does happen to you. The chemical imbalance due to epinephrine release and the stress involved with fear can easily cause loss of sleep. On top of that, after playing a game for a very long time (which is when I normally lose sleep because of games) causes certain images to be "burned" into your mind's eye (because the brain has been focusing on it for so long) which reminds you of the stress you went through, making you even more afraid. To be honest, I'm stunned how you can think books or movies have a more profound effect on you.
02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

The way I see it when I'm in a game I'm in a seperate world with its own horrors and story and such. When I turn it off, it's over. This isn't just some kind of coping mechanism either, that's just the way it's always been for me, I've never been able to see a game world and the real world as one of the same. Whereas I could easily name you a dozen or so movies that I've watched, and probably a couple dozen stories I've read that I've lost sleep over.

Posting Freak
02-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Website Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Bump this game is now out. I installed it though I haven't been able to play yet, work comes first. Thoughts from those who played it?
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

It's funny how people keep saying I COULDN'T SLEEP FOR DAYS AFTER I PLAYED THE GAME/SAW THE MOVIE but we all know it's bullshit.

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Website Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

I've played through the first couple stages. First stage is a prologue and it has a really creepy atmosphere, like what they did with it to set up the game. Second stage is just the same thing as the level people played in the beta. Really looking forward to the rest of the game...
03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Find