Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Tech Demo vs Overture vs Black Plague
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21
Tech Demo vs Overture vs Black Plague

If you played them all, witch one you like more?
For me is Black Plague, the game is really good. Them is Overture, that has lots of enemys, a down point to me and in last is the tech demo
05-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Tech Demo vs Overture vs Black Plague

Hmm... Actually I'm not sure. They all are good in they're own way so I cannot say which is the best Penumbra. Smile

05-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

I think the tech demo was the best; it seemed the spookiest, then black plague, then overture
05-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Find
AnttiApina Offline

Threads: 1

Overture was best because it was the first game in the series (Tech doesn't count).
Game was fun and scary even without the bad combat system. It was also very long in my opinion, but when you look at the BP it's much more shorter game. Those are the reasons.
05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

All three are great and I can´t choose a favourite.

The Tech Demo however, is just a demo though, so when it comes to the length of the game, it falls short (of course).
05-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

I'm not really judging on length of game, just what scared me the most. sure, overture did, but tech demo had a scarier atmosphere. my opinion anyway
05-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Tech Demo - Far scarier atmosphere, mainly due to the fact that the rooms were smaller (claustrophobic). Also, there weren't any patroling enemies so you a bit jumpy at times. It waxs far more super-natural than Black Plauge or Overture.
They planned the Tech Demo to be much longer, but they had to shorten it to get it into a game competition.
Fun Fact: When going through the files of the Tech Demo, they have alot of un-used concept textures. Bathrooms, kitchens, sofas, texture for dead body, guts, and so on. No extra models though.. Sad

Overture would have to be next. But, alot of the scare factor was removed due to too many enemies, and predictable level layouts. Also, the tunnels were too big/too symmetrical.
If they were smaller, sometimes headed in a different direction (maybe sometimes upwards), and had more detail they would have bee much, much better.

I'm rating black plague as the lowest. I had several problems with the game;
-Too Dark
-Disappointment in using same level-type designs as Overture
-Technical difficulties (still unresolved, thanks frictional for moving my topic to modifications!)
-Too few enemies
The storyline and Clarence idea were great. But Clarence's 'humor' brought him down greatly, also his large speaking abilities.
The environments were boring. Very, very boring. Oh look, another hallway. Oh look, another room with a chair in it. Oh how fun!
The levels I thought were often too dark, even an occasional light would spruce it up.
I didn't feel entrapped like I did in Overture. This was because things were alot more modern and 'people' like. Also, you were very close to the surface.
Finally, my biggest gripe with the game. You found your father too fast!!
Fun Fact: I think that finding your father was the end of Episode 2, when they thought that they were still doing episode 3.

So; Tech Demo>Overture>Black Plague

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:Fun Fact: I think that finding your father was the end of Episode 2, when they thought that they were still doing episode 3.

I don't think it's a fact, just a conclusion. Nothing says that episode 2 would have ended there.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Find
sybesis Offline

Threads: 5

nackidno Wrote:
Quote:Fun Fact: I think that finding your father was the end of Episode 2, when they thought that they were still doing episode 3.

I don't think it's a fact, just a conclusion. Nothing says that episode 2 would have ended there.
Aw you just ruin my day...spoil tag aren't here for nothing Sad
05-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Find
Sepai Offline

Threads: 10

sybesis Wrote:
nackidno Wrote:

Aw you just ruin my day...spoil tag aren't here for nothing Sad

i think we need a spoiler tag nazi in here :/

oh i think all had thier best good moments in each I would say overture was good since i hade to sneek past them alot and at the time it did not work well i sure as hell made me jump
but the most scary i say is on techdemo when i shut the door scrambling to find a way out before they make there way in
but i loved the Black plague story a bit better (possibly because it progressed while playing it)

so over all story win Big Grin
05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Find