Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can i change what the map is like when he dies?
tonitoni1998 Offline

Threads: 54
how can i change what the map is like when he dies?

i want the player to respawn at a point of the map, and the map is supposed to look the same as before. and everything happens again etc. do i need "CreateDataCache" for this? i already have an idea of it, but im not sure though.

When you are looking for someone, to do the scripting for your Custom Story, ask me!
02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: how can i change what the map is like when he dies?

(02-22-2013, 06:09 PM)tonitoni1998 Wrote: i want the player to respawn at a point of the map, and the map is supposed to look the same as before. and everything happens again etc. do i need "CreateDataCache" for this? i already have an idea of it, but im not sure though.

You could try this stuff out before you post a thread..

I would make a copy of the map and load him in there, it's maybe not the best way but it works.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM by OriginalUsername.)
02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

You need to create a checkpoint before the place the player will die at and in that checkpoint function, there is a callback feature (labelled "DEATHMAP" in my example). Give it a function to load the new map. When the player dies, it will call that checkpoint and will load the new map.

Example:
void OnStart()
{
    AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "CPArea", "checkpoint1_func", true, 1); //area the player walks into to create the checkpoint
}

void checkpoint1_func(string &in asparent, string &in aschild, int alstate)
{
    CheckPoint("checkpoint1", "PlayerStartArea_1", "DEATHMAP", "DeathHintCategory", "DeathHintEntry"); //checkpoint with callback for new map
}

void DEATHMAP(string &in asname, int alcount)
{
    ChangeMap("MapName", "PlayerStartPos", "StartSound", "EndSound"); //loading new map upon death
}

Use Ctrl+F to find the functions here so you can get a better understanding of the strings and whatnot:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM by Statyk.)
02-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Find
tonitoni1998 Offline

Threads: 54

(02-22-2013, 08:15 PM)Statyk Wrote: You need to create a checkpoint before the place the player will die at and in that checkpoint function, there is a callback feature (labelled "DEATHMAP" in my example). Give it a function to load the new map. When the player dies, it will call that checkpoint and will load the new map.

Example:
void OnStart()
{
    AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "CPArea", "checkpoint1_func", true, 1); //area the player walks into to create the checkpoint
}

void checkpoint1_func(string &in asparent, string &in aschild, int alstate)
{
    CheckPoint("checkpoint1", "PlayerStartArea_1", "DEATHMAP", "DeathHintCategory", "DeathHintEntry"); //checkpoint with callback for new map
}

void DEATHMAP(string &in asname, int alcount)
{
    ChangeMap("MapName", "PlayerStartPos", "StartSound", "EndSound"); //loading new map upon death
}

Use Ctrl+F to find the functions here so you can get a better understanding of the strings and whatnot:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions

thanks that was what i am looking for Smile

When you are looking for someone, to do the scripting for your Custom Story, ask me!
02-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Find