Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Entity to Item?
Grimm The Grand Basset Offline

Threads: 1
Entity to Item?

Hi,

I'm working on my own custom story. I'm honestly very new to this, but I have spent literally hours and hours watching tutorials and trying things by myself. And with patience I have managed to solve most of my problems.

However, there is one thing I'm not able to do. I designed a puzzle, and it would require to player use item X, such as tongs, to reach the key. Because the item X will not be very near to the key, it would be better if the item would be stored to players inventory. I would imagine that running around, carrying it all the time, dropping it to open doors and picking up again would be annoying, if anything.

That's why I have tried to edit an entity, pincers.ent, to item, such as key or crowbar. I edited mentioned entity with Model Editor, and in the screen shot is my settings.

The problem is, after I have placed it to
Amnesia -> Redist -> Entities -> Own,
it appears to the Level Editor, yes, but when I try to place it to the map.. It glitches. When I place it to surface, it goes half trough it and is stuck. It won't move, and certainly not go to the inventory.

I have tried to fix it, trough Model Editor and Level Editor, I have restarted my computer, I have restarted my Amnesia, I have closed both Model and Level Editors during the test-run (as I found out, that if I keep Level Editor open it will mess up my map totally), I have made new profile to Amnesia.. It gives no script errors, and everything else works, expect my tongs.

My cooperation with my Amnesia Editor's Tools have not been too easy. My Map Viewer crashes coincidentally, my Model Viewer won't open at all, and my custom floors disappear every time I open Lever Editor again after closing. Last-mentioned is a true pain in the ass, but maybe I will solve it. Someday. But if you could advice me with this problem, I would be so, so grateful.

Thank you already!

Attached Files
.jpg   screenshot.jpg (Size: 205.6 KB / Downloads: 127)
02-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Entity to Item?

You have to make an inventory image for it. Use a 60x60 .png or .tga. This is found at the bottom of the User Defined Variables.

As for it clipping into the desk, can't you just move and rotate it out of the way?
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Find

(02-23-2013, 04:01 PM)Statyk Wrote: As for it clipping into the desk, can't you just move and rotate it out of the way?

Thank you for your time.

Yes, I have tried that. I rotated it and lifted way above the surface, but it was no good. I saved changes I made, closed Level Editor and opened Amnesia, but the place and position of the item were exactly the same as before. And it was still stuck in the table.

Will this inventory image make the item pickable? I'm asking just for make sure, cause when I tried to pick the item up, it did not disappear like other items, as keys. It just.. well. Did nothing.
02-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

You say it gets stuck? Just move the model up so it doesn't conflict with the desk.

Weird thing, though.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

You will not be able to pick up an item without having an inventory image for it.

As for the clipping key, make sure you aren't saving in a backup file or such, and make sure you delete any .map_caches in the same folder the map file is in. If those don't work, could you post some screenshots or something?
02-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Give us an in-game screenshot.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
02-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Find

I have made some progress. I managed to get the tongs out of the table, and now it has that blue light around it, like notes do. But I still can't pick it up. I have attached to this reply screenshot from the game. I would like to mention, that in the game my cursor is pointed directly to the item. For some reason I now can't interact with it at all. I can't pick it up, throw it, anything.

In the second screenshot is the folder where these tongs are. Just to show, that I made that inventory image, 60 x 60, .tga. I also attached the entity and the image to each other in the Model Editor. I checked the Maps folder, and there was not any .map_caches files.

If there is something else you would like me to show with screenshot, please, let me know. I really appreciate your help.

EDIT: I thought to add one more screenshot, just to show that I can interact with everything else in the game, so I think the problem must be in the item. I just don't know where to look the error anymore.

Attached Files
.jpg   Amnesia1.jpg (Size: 306.93 KB / Downloads: 120)
.jpg   Amnesia2.jpg (Size: 105.89 KB / Downloads: 127)
.jpg   Amnesia3.jpg (Size: 311.24 KB / Downloads: 117)
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM by Grimm The Grand Basset.)
02-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-24-2013, 10:48 AM)Grimm The Grand Basset Wrote: I have made some progress. I managed to get the tongs out of the table, and now it has that blue light around it, like notes do. But I still can't pick it up. I have attached to this reply screenshot from the game. I would like to mention, that in the game my cursor is pointed directly to the item. For some reason I now can't interact with it at all. I can't pick it up, throw it, anything.

In the second screenshot is the folder where these tongs are. Just to show, that I made that inventory image, 60 x 60, .tga. I also attached the entity and the image to each other in the Model Editor. I checked the Maps folder, and there was not any .map_caches files.

If there is something else you would like me to show with screenshot, please, let me know. I really appreciate your help.

EDIT: I thought to add one more screenshot, just to show that I can interact with everything else in the game, so I think the problem must be in the item. I just don't know where to look the error anymore.
Um, crap. I don't know what is causing this.....
What is the settings that you put in the User Defined Variables in the Model Editor?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Find

Health - 100

Toughness - 0

MaxFocusDistance - 0.5

MainPhysicsBody - Metal

ShowMesh - Yes

DissolveOnDestruction - No

DissolveTime - 1.0

EffectsOnSound - None

EffectsOffSound - None

EffectsOnTime - 1

EffectsOffTime - 1

EffectsOffLightColor - Black

EffectsOffLightRadius - -1

ShowHints - Yes

StaticMoveCheckCollision - No

StatickMoveStartSound - None

StatickMoveStopSound - None

StatickMoveLoopSound - None

RandomizeAnimationStart - Yes

SubItemTypeName - tongs

ImageFile - tongs.tga

PickSound - Generic

TempVar - 0

It's more than likely that I have not fully understood some settings, 'cause English is not my native language. But if you can help me, I'm grateful.

02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

SubItemTypeName - tongs
Really? Use another SubItemTypeName, maybe it will work.
And also, the correct one is
SubItemTypeName = NAME
Use a = not a -. Maybe.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Find