Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story made by the whole community.
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Custom Story made by the whole community.

Hmm, Kman just might have a point.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
03-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

As well, I have thought the same thing as kman, where people have this idea in their heads that as soon as a CS becomes a FC, it's somehow greater. Too many FCs are being made where it still takes place in an 1800s castle, but they throw in the flashlight from White Night. That does not make it better, that makes it far worse! If something like this were to happen, I would recommend it staying a Custom Story, because not only is it easier to keep the thing organized, it's easier for everyone to adapt to, and it can be played on any OS. PC, iOS, or Linux. When you make something a Full Conversion, it becomes MUCH more difficult for Mac and Linux users to play, sometimes not being able to play it at all.

In short, Full Conversions are bad here, Custom Story is good.
03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-04-2013, 05:51 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I dunno, one could also interpreting JustAnotherPlayer's facepalming as facepalming at himself. That's where my mind went the first time I saw the post at least.

Oh well if that was the case I'd have no problem, I just don't like being called an idiot by someone who can't even refute the point I was making.

Posting Freak
03-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I've just read through the whole thread and examined the differents posts carefully. After spending some time thinking it finally dawned on me: Kman does have a point.

There are many ways to do this but organizing the whole deal is going to be the greatest challange. You would have to align the wills of everyone in the group so that everyone works towards a common goal. If it was a "do-your-own-map-and-then-connect-through-hub" it's easier since it's basically a compilation of a few great maps (if the modders making them are good of course). If it's supposed to be a coherent story however the modders would have to be of approximately equal skill (to get some sort of level consistency) as well as organized and with a clear vision of the "end product". That might be hard since people often have different ideas of "what is good/where we should take this". It's not impossible, I'm saying it's harder though considering the fact that this group (the team assembled across the forum) will probably have more difficulties in meeting the "of equal skill" and "shared vision" demands.

I think it's a great idea though! Very "do-able" if proper dedication is there. I won't join, but I wish you the best of luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM by Acies.)
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

yo tengo un punto

Posting Freak
03-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Fine, fine! Custom stories are bad. Now that i do think of it, fc's such as White Night that has Suitors doesn't go in the theme here. Modern setting is equal Modern enemies.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(03-05-2013, 05:00 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Fine, fine! Custom stories are bad. Now that i do think of it, fc's such as White Night that has Suitors doesn't go in the theme here. Modern setting is equal Modern enemies.

No, full conversions aren't bad. Like I said before, It's just that it being a full conversion does not mean it has to be better than a custom story.

[spoilers]btw, 300th post ^^<[/spoilers]
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM by Tiger.)
03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Find
jiersk Offline

Threads: 12

A FC has a potential to be better than a normal custom story. When the game really changes. But great things can be accomplished with normal custom stories aswell.

Life is a joke made by someone with a bad sense of humor.
03-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Find