Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Late Night Drink
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: A Late Night Drink

(03-12-2013, 03:57 PM)DeAngelo Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 02:59 PM)Adrianis Wrote: You guys maybe want to elaborate on why you don't like the screens? Cause atm those are pretty insulting comments, explaining why could turn it into useful criticism

No no, I like criticisms.

Of course! I apologise, I only meant that it could be useful to you if you knew why they didn't like it.

On another note, both/all the download links I can find are broken, as per Kiandra's comments xD
But I'd love to check it out, if you don't mind sorting out some other means? If you'd rather I just left it until the next version comes out then that's no problem.

03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

(03-12-2013, 07:50 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 03:57 PM)DeAngelo Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 02:59 PM)Adrianis Wrote: You guys maybe want to elaborate on why you don't like the screens? Cause atm those are pretty insulting comments, explaining why could turn it into useful criticism

No no, I like criticisms.

Of course! I apologise, I only meant that it could be useful to you if you knew why they didn't like it.

On another note, both/all the download links I can find are broken, as per Kiandra's comments xD
But I'd love to check it out, if you don't mind sorting out some other means? If you'd rather I just left it until the next version comes out then that's no problem.

It's all good. I honestly don't see how someone can make any headway in modding if they can't take criticisms. I'm putting this out and saying "HEY, YOU! Yeah, YOU!!! Come over here, take time out of your day, and play this." So I have to be ready to be told what I've done wrong.

I'm gonna try 1 more uploading site. Dropbox. Here's the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/bruu8rsdj34k7y...0Drink.rar

If that doesn't work, PM me your email address and I can pop it over to you in an email attachment. It's only like 9mb so it's not that hard to do it that way. I honestly don't know why the downloads won't work but oh well. I'll update my OP to tell people to PM me their emails if they can't download it. Smile

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

That works! Although the size is smaller than the other download sites which is slightly disconcerting

03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(03-12-2013, 03:57 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: Thanks. I have some pretty unique ideas in the works for the remake, stuff I'm relatively sure nobody has done before. But I'll make sure I don't release it till my lighting is up to snuff. I'll post here when I'm almost done and maybe you can test it for me
[...]
Guys, As I said earlier, this custom story was 20% me learning HPL Editor and 80% learning how to script. As someone who has made levels in LBP, I already understood the drag-n-drop mechanics of building a level, and as such I didn't spend much time worrying about lighting and whatnot. I do, however, think that for someone who went from knowing literally nothing about scripting to finishing a small level in 3 weeks, I did pretty good in the scripting area. I'm currently working on an extended version of this level that should have much better areas. I'll attach a sample of the work I've done in the area of learning lighting, particle effects, and other stuff. I've still got a ways to go though

I will say however that while you can comment on the screenshots, I'd love you to try out the level itself. It's very short and should take you literally 10-20 minutes start to finish. I've worked really hard on getting good at scripting and I do think it shows Smile

I second him on that, the scripting was really cool (if my opinion is worth anything Tongue)

If you want help with lighting/particles, I can explain a few things. I did the opposite of what you did and spent 80% of my effort on mapping and 20% on scripting (hence all my noob questions in the support section of the forum) Big Grin

Edit: This website: http://halo.bungie.net/forums/posts.aspx...D=48657907 has plenty of useful tips for the actual map designs and forcing the player to do what you want them to subconsciously. It's written for Halo, but a lot of the stuff (excluding combat and weapons) is applicable to the HPL2 engine.

2nd Edit: This website as well http://tower22.blogspot.ca/2011/11/finis...etail.html

(in case you missed them on the first page of the screenshot criticism thread)

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Just finished. I enjoyed it! There's some interesting ideas in there that could be executed better then they are, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do when you give yourself more time to develop them.

I'm happy to give some more extensive feedback if you would like it, in PM form so nothing gets spoiled. Particularly on some techniques you can use to clean up the script Smile

03-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

(03-12-2013, 08:37 PM)Adrianis Wrote: That works! Although the size is smaller than the other download sites which is slightly disconcerting

I just redownloaded all 3 copies and they're all the same size once downloaded. Probably just different sites having different ways of calculating the size or some crap :p

(03-12-2013, 09:15 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Just finished. I enjoyed it! There's some interesting ideas in there that could be executed better then they are, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do when you give yourself more time to develop them.

I'm happy to give some more extensive feedback if you would like it, in PM form so nothing gets spoiled. Particularly on some techniques you can use to clean up the script Smile

Go ahead. I'm definitely interested in anything that can improve on what I've done and clean up the script (not sure what that means but I'm ready to learn)

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM by DeAngelo.)
03-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Find