Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Model view crashes after importing 3ds
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13
Model view crashes after importing 3ds

So I just downloaded a 3ds model and converted it to collada using blender.
But now I am missing the .ent file of the model, and the model viewer crashes whenever I import the mesh, any clues on what is wrong?
03-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Model view crashes after importing 3ds

(03-17-2013, 10:13 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote: So I just downloaded a 3ds model and converted it to collada using blender.
But now I am missing the .ent file of the model, and the model viewer crashes whenever I import the mesh, any clues on what is wrong?

The .ent file is created using the model editor and not the export or model viewer.

As for the modelviewer crashing make sure that:
-the model is triangulated
-that a material is applied to your model, along with the texture you will be using, before exporting. also make sure its using uv cordinates.
-make sure that your texture is stored in the same location as were you export you model, prior to exporting the model!
-make sure that "include uv textures is checked" and that "copy" is unchecked.
-If you have anything else then you model in the scene, but only wish to export your model then you must make sure you only select your model, and check "Selection Only" before exporting.

These are not necesary to avoid a crash but pretty damn important as well
- Check if your normals are facing the right way. You can do this by going to display in the navigation tab/menu and checking "backface culling"
To fix the normals select the face were normals are facing the wrong way, press W to bring up the specials menu and hit "flip normals". can also be found in the toolbox.
-make sure you apply the rotation and scale by press CTRL + A. You will likely also want to apply the location but make sure you put your object at the center of the scene before doing so, else the model will be offset when exported.

Please tell me if there is any misspellings or incorrect information here if you notice any.
03-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

(03-17-2013, 10:35 PM)martinnord Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 10:13 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote: So I just downloaded a 3ds model and converted it to collada using blender.

The .ent file is created using the model editor and not the export or model viewer.

-that a material is applied to your model, along with the texture you will be using, before exporting. also make sure its using uv cordinates.
-make sure that your texture is stored in the same location as were you export you model, prior to exporting the model!
-If you have anything else then you model in the scene, but only wish to export your model then you must make sure you only select your model, and check "Selection Only" before exporting.

- Check if your normals are facing the right way. You can do this by going to display in the navigation tab/menu and checking "backface culling"
To fix the normals select the face were normals are facing the wrong way, press W to bring up the specials menu and hit "flip normals". can also be found in the toolbox.
-make sure you apply the rotation and scale by press CTRL + A. You will likely also want to apply the location but make sure you put your object at the center of the scene before doing so, else the model will be offset when exported.

Please tell me if there is any misspellings or incorrect information here if you notice any.

Oh, what have I got into...
I thought it's simple, I just downloaded blender to import a model into Amnesia and I really appreciate your effort of writing this but I actualyl don't understand anything of what you said because I simply have no knowledge in modeling.
Is there any tutorial based on importing 3ds to dae?
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(03-17-2013, 10:47 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote:

I thought it's simple, I just downloaded blender to import a model into Amnesia and I really appreciate your effort of writing this but I actualyl don't understand anything of what you said because I simply have no knowledge in modeling.
Perhaps you could send me the model and I will try to do it for you as a static object that is. if you want to make it an entity you will have to fool with the model editor yourself, but I can take care of the exporting for you if all goes as planned.
03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

(03-17-2013, 10:56 PM)martinnord Wrote:

Perhaps you could send me the model and I will try to do it for you as a static object that is. if you want to make it an entity you will have to fool with the model editor yourself, but I can take care of the exporting for you if all goes as planned.

That will be uber amazing if you could do so!
It doesn't matter if it's static or entity as the model will not be used and will only be environmental.
03-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(03-17-2013, 11:00 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's static or entity as the model will not be used and will only be environmental.
I be awaiting a pm with the files attached then, you may not get the model today since I am going to bed soon.
dont forget to send the texture along.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 11:03 PM by WALP.)
03-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

(03-17-2013, 11:02 PM)martinnord Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 11:00 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 10:35 PM)martinnord Wrote: The .ent file is created using the model editor and not the export or model viewer.

I be awaiting the pm then, you may not get the model today since I am going to bed soon.

I've PM'd you, and I am also going to sleep now so no rush Smile
03-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Find