Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem

TL;DR - Can you export a .dae from Blender 2.66a and get it to show up correctly in the ModelView/Model Editor on one try. Or get anything to work.

I'm having issues exporting again, been going nuts going over my procedures of getting it right.

I thought then using another model that I know have exported correctly and hasn't been touched since. 3 models to be exact, all failed at the ModelView.

So either I'm screwing up or this 2.66a update has broken something. (Not surprisingly)

Unless someone can give me a positive answer that it still functions and I'm just brain dead atm.

Might their be some new option that I have to pay attention to?
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM by Rapture.)
03-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem

What are the export options you have selected at the time of export?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Just the normal ones, I choose ".dae" like always.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 3192013blenderexportpro.png]
03-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

I meant after picking to export as DAE. There are export options to the left for DAE: which ones are active and which ones aren't?

03-20-2013, 03:40 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

I have never noticed that before, could they possibly put something like that in a worse place? (Bottom left)
Spoiler below!

I'm assuming I have to check a combination of the boxes for "Texture Options" I'll play around with it, unless you can give me one of your insanely quick responses back...

Btw, do you stalk the forums 24/7? I really, really appreciate the fast responses, but I feel like you have a computer chip embedded in your skull that notifies you the instant a post is made on the forums! :O

Are you a real human being!?
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013, 03:46 AM by Rapture.)
03-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Quick run-through of the texture options (though, do note there's probably more to these options than what i mention here):

Only Active UV layer: I haven't taken the time to look into this, but leaving it off hasn't ruined anything for me yet.

Include UV Textures: Are you using external textures? Check this option!

Include Material Textures: Did you generate textures in Blender? Check this option!

Copy: Do you want to copy all textures (external and internal) to where the DAE file is exported to? Check this option!

@"Are you a real human being?!"

Yes and no.

03-20-2013, 03:53 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks.
03-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Decided to use this same thread since the problem is similiar...

Spoiler below!
Basically you can see the actual triangles of the model on the texture, it's their because of the normal map. I played around with the Diff/Norm/Spec settings in the ModelView, it's only the Normal Map that causes the issue.

I have had this issue before with a really large terrain I made a long time ago, I never deduced if the problem was because of the AO or the Normals, but I'm thinking it was the Normals. I don't have this issue with my other models, none of them show the Triangles appearing.
But whether it's in the ModelView/ModelEditor/LevelEditor/Game, the triangle appear if you look at it closely.

But in Blender and the texture files, their is nothing to say that this bizarre problem should show up. They look no different from my other models...

Blender Render Test
Spoiler below!
[Image: 3202013forkrendertest.png]

Normals
Spoiler below!
[Image: 3202013forknormaltest.png]

Diff
Spoiler below!
[Image: 3202013forkdifftest.png]

//Related but at the same time unrelated questions...
(1) How can I make and/or bake a "spec" map in Blender? I noticed that they tend to be greenish when I looked at examples from the FC models or the web.

(2) Why is that Blender messes up copying the materials over to the Exported folder location? I have all the textures in the same folder, but it either doesn't bring them over; renames them wrongly ("Untitled.png", "Untitled.Untitled003.png" or makes them completly black??)

(2a) Sometimes the ".mat" file generated has the wrong name ("Untitled.mat")

If I try to rename it, the ".dae" file won't recognize it. I tried looking through the file for "Untitled" and got a crap load of them, so I won't bother replacing. I just want to know how to avoid this...

(3) At the top left of the "ModelView" what is the "Texture memory usage: ... / ...Mb" mean exactly? A couple of my models averaged about 9000 kb / somewhere around 9.2Mb or only 9.2Mb.
03-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(03-21-2013, 04:04 AM)Rapture Wrote: Basically you can see the actual triangles of the model on the texture, it's their because of the normal map. I played around with the Diff/Norm/Spec settings in the ModelView, it's only the Normal Map that causes the issue.

I've never had that issue.

(03-21-2013, 04:04 AM)Rapture Wrote: (1) How can I make and/or bake a "spec" map in Blender? I noticed that they tend to be greenish when I looked at examples from the FC models or the web.

(2) Why is that Blender messes up copying the materials over to the Exported folder location? I have all the textures in the same folder, but it either doesn't bring them over; renames them wrongly ("Untitled.png", "Untitled.Untitled003.png" or makes them completly black??)

(2a) Sometimes the ".mat" file generated has the wrong name ("Untitled.mat")

If I try to rename it, the ".dae" file won't recognize it. I tried looking through the file for "Untitled" and got a crap load of them, so I won't bother replacing. I just want to know how to avoid this...

(3) At the top left of the "ModelView" what is the "Texture memory usage: ... / ...Mb" mean exactly? A couple of my models averaged about 9000 kb / somewhere around 9.2Mb or only 9.2Mb.

1. I think specular maps require some kind of light source in the environment in order to be baked.

2. Blender will name the files according to what you have the textures named in Blender. Also, i don't think the diffuse map will turn out black unless perhaps you're trying to bake on the active diffuse map.

2(a). I've never had that issue before.

3. How much memory is required for all textures loaded for the model. What resolution are all your textures at? And are they DDS format?

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 05:33 AM by Your Computer.)
03-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: //Related but at the same time unrelated questions...

(1) How can I make and/or bake a "spec" map in Blender? I noticed that they tend to be greenish when I looked at examples from the FC models or the web.
Hm...I've never heard of baking specular maps... it doesn't make much sense when you think about it. A spec map is bright where the object is supposed to be shiny and dark where it's supposed to be dull. So how could you bake that? Unlike lighting information, a specular highlight is dependent on the camera position after all.
So you'll have to make it by hand, in Photoshop, either by painting it or by using filters and adjustments on the diffuse for example. (It might however be useful to use a baked heightmap or ambient occlusion map as a starting point for your spec!)

The reason FC's spec maps are greenish instead of black and white is that they are actually a combination of spec and gloss map. Basically, specular tells the object how bright its shiny highlight is, the gloss tells it how soft or harsh the highlight is. (For example brushed metal has high spec, low gloss, a polished billard ball has high spec, high gloss!)
Now to save texture space, FC are putting the spec map in the maps red channel and he gloss map in its green channel. It's quite clever actually! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Find