Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia should have CO-OP... ;P

I think two player co-op could work if the players move on different paths that have some interaction betwean them, like say that they walk on different floors in the same house. They can make noice to attract attention so save the friend. But one think i think would be cool would be that if the player you are playing with is directly affected by your playstyle, if you play as a coward, your friend should get in trouble and so on. To put some social pressure into the picture could really make the game even worse to play...with a friend^^.
02-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Find
LSunday Offline

Threads: 1

I was thinking something like that- if you had areas that force players to split up. Using an idea posted earlier, where each player has a different item essential to both their survivals, you could then have a situation where, say, the character with the map cant walk though the water, but the hallway above is filled with a flammable gas so you can't bring the lantern. One player has to tread through water alone, and another has to go through a hallway where you can't have any light.

I do agree that anything competitive like suggested earlier is a bad idea. Just knowing that there is a human on the other side removes too much atmosphere.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM by LSunday.)
02-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Find
Doctorcheese Offline

Threads: 28

(02-10-2011, 05:34 PM)swedishTOASTER Wrote: I hoped maybe frictional games could make a mode for amnesia so u can play co-op campaign or custom story's or maybe a side co-op story.... All i want is to take my friend and make him buy the game and then play co-op with him Smile would have been really nice Big Grin.........Tongue

Burn the witch!

''Sick, twisted child... You'll burn for this!''
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

The voice attenuation and enemies hearing you sounds like what I've been told Splinter Cell mutliplayer between covert and mercs worked. I mean, it's a neat idea for a stealth game, but when you're still trying to maintain the atmosphere and horror of Amnesia, asking people to play the same maps with concrete objectives independent of mystery or a plot won't cut it.

A multiplayer of Amnesia would be most appropriate implemented like the indie game Sleep is Death - where the two players are telling a story together through a dynamic environment and elements, and cutting competitive play completely out of the picture. Sleep is Death works because in a 2D simple environment, elements can be swapped around easily, and getting that kind of play working in Amnesia's fairly impressive 3D engine would be daunting if not impossible. But that's the only kind of multiplayer I could see living up to the current Amnesia.
02-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Find
Need4Power Offline

I thought about something like this:
You have a very big map,huge.

The humans have some certain goal,that only they know.
The monsters role is to patrol the place and kill the humans.

There are 4 players,two humans and two monsters.
Players humans can communicate by basic set of words and phrases through sound built into the game.
(if you prees '1',player say "Let's Split", if you prees 4 player say "Help Me!".)

Monsters can't communicate,they just can make scary voices and growls.
The humans are running faster than the monsters,so monsters must caught them by suprise or in close places.
Only monsters can attack,but humans can set traps to slow them down and run away.

For humans,monsters are invisible in the darkness. Monsters have long-range night vision.

Sound pretty good to me Tongue

(Oh and sorry if i had any english mistakes,i don't speak english Big Grin)
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM by Need4Power.)
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Find
Conan Offline

Look, let me say up front that, maybe with the exception of Left4Dead, co-op and mp are vastly overrated in the gaming world. Dodgy

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, if Amnesia had co-op it would have to be done right. One scheme that might work is to keep the players isolated in different parts of the castle, and to allow them to talk over headsets (similar to what The Scariest Places on Earth series did). Hearing your friend screaming through your headset may amplify the terror, plus the fact that you can't help him/her.

But then again, some games are best experienced alone. Smile
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Done right, done right...
Can anyone see how Amnesia atmosphere can be carried to Co-oP with that "done right"... thing?
Amnesia is meant to be a single player game, after that "done right" it won't be Amnesia.

Claiming it will, please someone explain to me how it will be "done right".

02-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(02-20-2011, 10:20 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Done right, done right...
Can anyone see how Amnesia atmosphere can be carried to Co-oP with that "done right"... thing?
Amnesia is meant to be a single player game, after that "done right" it won't be Amnesia.

Claiming it will, please someone explain to me how it will be "done right".

I don't think anyone wants them to shoehorn co-op into Amnesia. I think most people in this thread are looking for an experience designed from the ground up to be co-op, and with the atmosphere and style of Amnesia.
02-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(02-20-2011, 11:04 PM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: ...with the atmosphere and style of Amnesia.

That I can't see how it will be.

02-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Website Find
LSunday Offline

Atmosphere and style doesn't mean that it plays on the same fears. "Atmosphere" means dark, creepy, spooky noise, etc. "Style" means the basic gameplay mechanics such as the opening of the cabinets and the throwing/rotating objects that you're carrying. It also means being unable to fight back, and feeling helpless.

None of those are inherently contradicted by the theoretical addition of Co-Op. It just changes HOW they accomplish the same fears and atmosphere. Basketball isn't a 'ruined' version of soccer because they changed how the teams compete.
02-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Find