Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Plot
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Horror Plot

(04-01-2013, 06:49 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Eldrich is just a peculiar word that Lovecraft used -- that means quite that: peculiar; strange.

Oh, yea ok i get it Wink

Trying is the first step to success.
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

And I agree with Kreekakon. Imagine how infuriating writing would be if everyone called death out as a cliche.

"Oh well then, Mr. Poe! I thought you weren't like those other poser phonies! Lenore dies? Now, where have I seen this before, dickhead?"
04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Next thing you know in horror, scaring people is going to be a cliche.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(04-01-2013, 06:55 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Next thing you know in horror, scaring people is going to be a cliche.

"Oh wow. Just used the irony of my own character's tyrannical image to describe death of own child, and now my character's been driven to an anarchist madness because of it. I feel wet liquid dripping down my leg. How unoriginal can you get!?"
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

(04-01-2013, 06:35 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:
(04-01-2013, 06:33 PM)dnalange Wrote: Mental Memorial!
The 2 main characters stay alive!
Even better, one of the main characters must be saved\rescued...
One of the very less mods out here that has a plot like that.
NOT SAYING THIS CAUSE IT IS MY MOD!!!

But from what i've seen
Spoiler below!

Isn't there a dead man in the start?

-
Thought you ment for a MAIN-character.
Sorry, Didn;t understood or read it good enough!
There are some "Dead" people but NONE of the "main Characters" die in Mental Memorial.
I apoligize for the Miscconvinience
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-01-2013, 07:13 PM)dnalange Wrote:
(04-01-2013, 06:35 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:
(04-01-2013, 06:33 PM)dnalange Wrote: Mental Memorial!
The 2 main characters stay alive!
Even better, one of the main characters must be saved\rescued...
One of the very less mods out here that has a plot like that.
NOT SAYING THIS CAUSE IT IS MY MOD!!!

But from what i've seen
Spoiler below!

Isn't there a dead man in the start?

-
Thought you ment for a MAIN-character.
Sorry, Didn;t understood or read it good enough!
There are some "Dead" people but NONE of the "main Characters" die in Mental Memorial.
I apoligize for the Miscconvinience

It's ok Smile

04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

"Your name is [NAMEHERE]. You read about an article in a newspaper about an [SETTINGHERE]. It says that people went in and out of there became insane in just 5 years. Intrigued, you venture in there."

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Well, death is an obvious choice when you're trying to scare people, that's right. But there are indeed other fears you can use. Take the basic premise of Silent Hill - The Room for example: A man wakes up in his apartment one day and finds that no matter what he does, he can't leave. His door is chained shut, the windows don't open, the phone is dead and even though he can see people through the windows or the door's spyhole, no one can hear him scream. The only way to escape is a strange, dark hole that has appeared in his bathroom and that seems to get bigger every day...

Sure, there are people dieing in the story, later on, but the initial setting has nothing to do with death, it's the fear of being imprisoned and trapped that they are using. And I, personally, found that way more scary than all the death and gore that comes later!
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Continuing off of Hirnwirbel, you could always pick a phobia from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias and go from there. Sure, there are strange ones like hylophobia, the fear of trees, but there's also chronophobia, the fear of time marching forward. The latter would make for a very interesting, more psychological game.

Alternatively, find other ways to introduce tragedy into your story. That's the main function of death, anyway. Timorem knows that well, given some of our holiday maps. Have a particularly endearing character who makes a horrible decision that the player is helpless to stop, even when presented the chance to do so. Betrayal is a good thing to use in this fashion, too.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-03-2013, 12:14 PM)Miss Rigi Wrote: Continuing off of Hirnwirbel, you could always pick a phobia from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias and go from there. Sure, there are strange ones like hylophobia, the fear of trees, but there's also chronophobia, the fear of time marching forward. The latter would make for a very interesting, more psychological game.

Alternatively, find other ways to introduce tragedy into your story. That's the main function of death, anyway. Timorem knows that well, given some of our holiday maps. Have a particularly endearing character who makes a horrible decision that the player is helpless to stop, even when presented the chance to do so. Betrayal is a good thing to use in this fashion, too.

Haha. It's funny that you mention it. I created the Digressiophobia, based on a made up phobia from being separated. (2 friends being separated).

Oh well, thanks for the link. Might as well take a look.

04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Find