Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

*SPOILER* the ending of ep2 - fairly disappointed
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
RE: *SPOILER* the ending of ep2 - fairly disappointed

I personally was satisfied with the ending of BP.
It made sense, when I remembered all the events, notes and bizzare places I stumbled upon in Overture and put them together with the new findings from the second episode - most of the story's loose ends tied up logically and quickly. But yeah, the ending came quite abruptly and felt a little rushed...
The only thing that dissapointed me, is the absence of a climax in the Hive's lair - I was expecting, that I will enter an ancient ice cave of some sort and find an old meteoritic rock or spacecraft burried under the glaciers of Greenland for a few million years (heck, like in Smilla's Sense of Snow or the X-Files ! :-) )... And that only then will the Hive beg me to do, what I must (tell the world about the secret base and seal or destroy it forever)...

I really don't understand those players, who complained, that Black Plague had a sudden sci-fi twist. If they would read the notes more closely and put the encounters with the mutated animals from Overture together, they would realise, that this is not your typical "run-of-the-mill-sorry-excuse-for-a-silent-hill-rip-off" type of game. When I finally reached the office room in the first mine, read the old notes from WWII and then tried the mysterious artefact mentioned in it, I was sure, that this is going to be some sort of "ancient alien visit" type of story... :-P :-) Because I am an old sci-fi maniac, the sentient virus, mutated researchers and the whole thing about the ending didn't feel overly surprising to me. But it was a wonderfully told tale. :-)

I'll miss Philip and the rest of the fictious bunch, though... :-(

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
06-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Find
ZaRboN
Unregistered

Petike, u scurvy pirate, u forgot to tag it as a spoiler (im not sure thought)

and DEAR JAMHaW, i was the first who thought about the fanumbras thingie and most of us agreed! AYE? Angry
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM by cool4345.)
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

I am still certain that it was Penumbra fan but just to make it official I think we should have a poll to decide.
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Find
Petike Offline

ZaRboN Wrote:Petike, u scurvy pirate, u forgot to tag it as a spoiler (im not sure thought)

and DEAR JAMHaW, i was the first who thought about the fanumbras thingie and most of us agreed! AYE? Angry

Well, this thread is about the ending, so it is "spoilerish" anyway... :-)

06-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Find
darthvulture Offline

Threads: 2

i really liked the ending, really puts humans in theyre position, when up against something unknown and what we believe is far superior,we try to exterminate instead of let them be alone, because thats us, we want to be best,superior. The ending revealed that,yes the whole incident happened because some scientist digged to far, and found a meteor or something, where there were "aliens" instead of just leaving it alone they did theyre thing, and suddenly years later something happens and everybody turns into a zombie. the tuurngaits tells he just wants to be friends, he simply ended up in the wrong world. We humans will always be like this, we cant accept what is better than us, and there are ofcourse differences in this "ego", some bear more pride than others...
Well, just to conclude, this ending gives us a picture of a typical human being, scared,pissed off and has a darn big pride, yes this ending was nice, instead of some boring,typical ending with a white screen with some text on, where everything is explained, but the meaning of it might not be so good. This ending gives us questions, and makes us think, thats how endings should be like, but ofcourse, it shouldnt bring to many questions, it will be harder to answer, because we will after all want answers in the end...
Hopefully, the expansion game thats coming out will bring us that Smile

After Darkness, Comes Light.
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Find
Petike Offline

darthvulture Wrote:i really liked the ending, really puts humans in theyre position, when up against something unknown and what we believe is far superior,we try to exterminate instead of let them be alone, because thats us, we want to be best,superior. The ending revealed that,yes the whole incident happened because some scientist digged to far, and found a meteor or something, where there were "aliens" instead of just leaving it alone they did theyre thing, and suddenly years later something happens and everybody turns into a zombie. the tuurngaits tells he just wants to be friends, he simply ended up in the wrong world. We humans will always be like this, we cant accept what is better than us, and there are ofcourse differences in this "ego", some bear more pride than others...
Well, just to conclude, this ending gives us a picture of a typical human being, scared,pissed off and has a darn big pride, yes this ending was nice, instead of some boring,typical ending with a white screen with some text on, where everything is explained, but the meaning of it might not be so good. This ending gives us questions, and makes us think, thats how endings should be like, but ofcourse, it shouldnt bring to many questions, it will be harder to answer, because we will after all want answers in the end...
Hopefully, the expansion game thats coming out will bring us that Smile

Nicely wrapped up. :-) Yup, I hope Requiem answers those few questions left. Or will at least give some hints on what really happened (in a wider scale)...

07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Find
PeeWee Offline

Threads: 0

I just posted this in the spoilers forum, but here it is again:

Just beat BP a few minutes ago.

It's pretty clear that Philip wants the Turngaiit and everything destroyed.

The only question I have (and there isn't a clear answer to it, but I like it better this way anyway) is whether or not he is actually doing what the Turngaiit wanted him to do or not.

Think about it. The Turngaiit explained that it understands human nature. Perhaps it asked Philip to keep people away knowing full well that Philip would get more people to come to the facility, thereby giving the Turngaiit more individuals that could join it. Perhaps this is its way of once again rising to power on the Earth. It stated that before it was plentiful, and lived with the humans, but that as time marched on and technology advanced it was driven away. Is it possible that it harbors hate (or something akin to that) for mankind? Maybe it wishes to gather enough power to its side to expand outside of the facility, but it needs more people to do so. In this way, Philip may be helping it out without actually knowing it.

But then again I might be reading too much into it. Perhaps it is cut and dry, but it's fun to think about.
09-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Find