Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem when importing some models
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10
Problem when importing some models

Hi, I've recently been learning how to create 3D models using 3DS max. I know how to create the models and texture (although very basic at the moment). However I've noticed with some models that when I import them, if there is more than one object to the model that the objects may move around. I'm thinking it's something to do with all of the parts being centered when I import the model but I'm not really sure. If I'm creating a .ent file it doesn't matter because I can move the parts around to where they're supposed to be in the model editor, but some models I'd rather keep as static objects instead of fixing them then turning them into entities. Basically, I guess I'm doing something stupid and it'd be great if someone could correct me.

Attached two screenshots to show my problem, I made these two models in the same way, the first one imports correctly, the second doesn't (the border that's supposed to be at the bottom of the model has been moved to the centre of the model.

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot_02.jpg (Size: 193.04 KB / Downloads: 104)
.jpg   Screenshot_01.jpg (Size: 189.09 KB / Downloads: 103)
04-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Problem when importing some models

I know in maya you have to move the pivots to 0,0,0 or else this happens. I'm not sure if it works for 3ds
04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

All you objects should be in the right location when you export them and not in the center if thats what you mean. Moving objects around afterwards in the model editor I only have bad experiences with so I really dont recommend it.
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10

(04-17-2013, 10:13 PM)martinnord Wrote: All you objects should be in the right location when you export them and not in the center if thats what you mean. Moving objects around afterwards in the model editor I only have bad experiences with so I really dont recommend it.
They're in the right position when I export and end up in the wrong place when I import.

(04-17-2013, 10:12 PM)Smoke Wrote: I know in maya you have to move the pivots to 0,0,0 or else this happens. I'm not sure if it works for 3ds
Ah, it could be that! Smile I'll have a look. Thanks.

(04-17-2013, 10:12 PM)Smoke Wrote: I know in maya you have to move the pivots to 0,0,0 or else this happens. I'm not sure if it works for 3ds

Yes that worked, thank you so much. Really simple thing to change but I had no idea that was the cause. Have some rep Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013, 10:20 PM by ExpectedIdentifier.)
04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Find