Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skybox has visible texture seams
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Skybox has visible texture seams

Thing is, it'd have to a giant mesh so when moving, the sky doesn't appear to move. The FarClipPlane of the player only goes so far before occluding anything past it. If this is a full conversion already, he can simply change the setting to a larger number, but if this is a custom story, he would have to turn it into a full conversion for the player to see the enormous model.

I would rather open the images in photoshop and fix up the edges by hand and use it like he has now. Much easier and sensible in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM by Statyk.)
04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I managed to somewhat fix it :] Should be okay!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Thing is, it'd have to a giant mesh so when moving, the sky doesn't appear to move. The FarClipPlane of the player only goes so far before occluding anything past it.
Why doesn't the default skybox have the same problem? In the end it's just a mesh, too... is there maybe some special code that excludes it from the clipping plane?
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Probably in the source code.

04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

(04-24-2013, 12:31 AM)Acies Wrote: I managed to somewhat fix it :] Should be okay!

Thanks for the replies guys - Acies managed to get it looking a lot better using the texel amount of "7" on the "edge fixup" in Cubemapgen. It seems to have pretty much fixed the problem. Turning up the gamma makes it visible in one area, but I think I'll be able to fix it hopefully using this function further Smile
04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(04-24-2013, 11:43 AM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 12:31 AM)Acies Wrote: I managed to somewhat fix it :] Should be okay!

Thanks for the replies guys - Acies managed to get it looking a lot better using the texel amount of "7" on the "edge fixup" in Cubemapgen. It seems to have pretty much fixed the problem. Turning up the gamma makes it visible in one area, but I think I'll be able to fix it hopefully using this function further Smile

... or a conveniently placed tree Tongue

04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(04-24-2013, 04:44 PM)Adrianis Wrote:

Sadly, that won't work Big Grin

On another note - It might be something "odd" about how light-rays are rendered in Terragen because I noticed that one of my skyboxes had this issue where strong lightrays shined from one image to the next. Increasing various quality settings (in Terragen) might "solve" it - but that is just guesswork.

Hopefully increasing the edge fixup (further) in cubemapgen will prove fruitful.

How/Why did you decide on creating your own skybox? As mentioned earlier in the thread, I like it when people take the time to "take the extra step".

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

(04-24-2013, 07:04 PM)Acies Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 04:44 PM)Adrianis Wrote:

Sadly, that won't work Big Grin

On another note - It might be something "odd" about how light-rays are rendered in Terragen because I noticed that one of my skyboxes had this issue where strong lightrays shined from one image to the next. Increasing various quality settings (in Terragen) might "solve" it - but that is just guesswork.

Hopefully increasing the edge fixup (further) in cubemapgen will prove fruitful.

How/Why did you decide on creating your own skybox? As mentioned earlier in the thread, I like it when people take the time to "take the extra step".

I wanted a moody sky, and couldn't really find any skyboxes that were free and close to what I wanted, and seeing what you can do with terrain and things in terragen, it seemed perfect for what I wanted Smile
04-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Find