Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuration Files Help Disabling 'Save And Exit'
7thProductions Offline

Threads: 17
Disabling 'Save And Exit'

For the full conversion I am currently working on, I planned on disabling manual saves and using checkpoints instead. I've changed the default_main_settings.cfg and even resorted to adjusting the main_settings.cfg in the save folder under My Documents to disable saving and neither seems to work; you still have the option to save even after it should have been disabled.

I'm not sure what to do about this. :/
04-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Disabling 'Save And Exit'

mmmh, can't you teleport the guy to the checkpoint when he enters the map?

04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Find
7thProductions Offline

(04-30-2013, 01:46 AM)Amn Wrote: mmmh, can't you teleport the guy to the checkpoint when he enters the map?

No, I don't want the player to be able to pause the game and save whenever they want. Instead, having them use checkpoints, example: interacting with an object in order to save their game.

I have no problem with the game loading from its last save or with having the Player in the same place they were when the game saved.

The problem I'm having is making sure that the Player can't pause the game whenever they want and save, but for some reason I can't disable it. Is that more clear?
04-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

Teleporting the player when they start would be the way to go. Just put a teleport player script in your OnEnter part of your script so they get sent there each time the game starts, and you could use variables to determine which checkpoint to use. Sorta like:

void OnStart()
{
SetLocalVarInt("CheckpointVariable", 0);
}
void OnEnter()
{
if(GetLocalVarInt("CheckpointVariable") == 0)
{
teleportPlayer("Checkpoint_1");
}
}
if(GetLocalVarInt("CheckpointVariable") == 1)
{
teleportPlayer("Checkpoint_2");
}
}
}

Then just set the local variable to the appropriate number each time they use one of your checkpoint things. Roundabout, yes, but it should accomplish what you're going for. Might need to make some adjustments to that script since I've never done anything like that before, but the general idea should work.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 03:38 AM by DeAngelo.)
04-30-2013, 03:37 AM
Find
7thProductions Offline

(04-30-2013, 12:27 AM)7thProductions Wrote: For the full conversion I am currently working on, I planned on disabling manual saves and using checkpoints instead. I've changed the default_main_settings.cfg and even resorted to adjusting the main_settings.cfg in the save folder under My Documents to disable saving and neither seems to work; you still have the option to save even after it should have been disabled.

I'm not sure what to do about this. :/

To perhaps to make this point more clear, I'm trying to disable saving so that the Player can't pause the game and save whenever they want. And have to find checkpoints in order to save, like this one here:

Attached Files
.png   save.png (Size: 251.32 KB / Downloads: 104)
04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

One thing I've learned in the time I've spent with the amnesia editor, is that you'll often run into situations where you're trying to do something the amnesia engine just can't do. In these instances you have 2 choices: give up what you're trying to do and move on, or attempt to improvise. What you're trying to do may not be possible (don't quote me on that) but the solution I offered would work. The player would still be able to save and exit, but once they load their save it'll still start them at the last checkpoint they used.

On a personal note, preventing the player from saving whenever they want is a bad idea, especially if your story is a long one. Things come up in people's lives and expecting someone to either postpone their plans to find a save point or replay a bunch of the game later is asking a lot. If you do go this route, make sure the save points are frequent enough to not be annoying Smile

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

If I'm not mistaken, Tenebris Lake does this.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Find