Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Other great Survival Horror games?
Aliennoffe Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Other great Survival Horror games?

(07-15-2009, 02:58 PM)Scraper Wrote: Great...
Thank you, Remedy! For NOT releasing Alan Wake for PC... -.-
It's official information.

They said that they want to focus on Xbox 360 release.
I can't really tell what site could have that news in english though...

If someone finds it, please, post it here.

I've heard that there it will be a PC version in a gamers magazine, but that will be later.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
07-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Find
C-zom Offline

Threads: 3

Hey guys! I read through most of the thread. Decided to second some suggestions or add some of my own:

Penumbra Series of course
Dark Corners of the Earth (First half. Tongue)
Clive Barker's Undying
Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl
System Shock 2
Silent Hill 3

Blood is also good but very old. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Horror gaming is my second favorite genre afterall

08-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Find
ravenx444 Offline

Threads: 1

One game i'm surprised no one mentioned on this board.

Nosferatu: The wrath of Malakai.

First time I played this game, I literally screamed like a little girl. It's REALLY hard to beat this game in terms of actually scaring the S**T out of you (and i've played nearly every game on this list, only other one that compares is penumbra, and I'd honestly say nosferatu is scarier). First, your playing against a clock to save your family. 2nd, the levels are generated EVERY time you start a new game, so no run through is the same everytime. 3rd, ITS SCARY AS HELL, i've never beaten it, and each run through only lasts two hours, so there ya go.

Another game I'd throw onto the list which is totally a left field indie game is a small game called...

Derelict (it's also completely free)

It's a tiny little game (under 22mbs), but its an FPS that requires DX8 as i recall. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a cross between X-com and System shock. You play as 5 different characters as part of a squad. (assault soldier, engineer, medic, comm officer, demolitions). Each one of the classes has a different specialty (assault has infinite ammo, engineer can hack doors and computer terminals, medic heals the squad and doesnt take poison damage, comm officer has a movement tracker ala aliens, demolitions blows stuff up and can stop enemy teleporters). You play as all 5 of these players the entire game, trying to find out what happened on your ship while your team was on the surface of a planet. The story is very system shockesque, and the title is very low budget, but for free, and for a decent sense of atmosphere and some genuine scares, it cant really be beat. Next version is going to have 5 player co-op and better graphics.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2009, 04:52 AM by acare.)
12-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Find
mtkafka Offline

Threads: 0

(12-26-2009, 04:52 AM)ravenx444 Wrote: One game i'm surprised no one mentioned on this board.

Nosferatu: The wrath of Malakai.

yes that was a great horror game. its amazing it never got more reknown. the new amnesia video has alot of the same feel of Nosferatu. There does seem to be a cult following to the game.. but I have not heard of the developers making anything else. closest game to followiing the save the famly gameplay in nosferatu was Dead Rising on 360, which isn't completely horror surivival, but it does give some tense moments because you are trying to beat the clock and save ppl! i really like emergent gameplay than scripted.

I'm hoping fricitional stays around longer than irrational does (great developers of Thief/SS2)... playing Overture felt alot like some of Thief, and ALOT of Black Plague is so reminiscent of SS2 (and some parts even EXCEEDS the great SS2!)
02-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Find
Jakob Rosenblatt Offline

Threads: 9

Hello! I am new to the forum and a great fan of Frictional Games. I know a game that is definitely a "survival horror" game: dark, gloomy, spooky...

[Image: 608887-x_comterror_1__large.jpg]

My first pc-game. I loved it for its atmosphere. Most of the time you were planning expeditions into the deepest parts of the ocean. You could barely see anything down there and had to use flares to illuminate the seabed. Your men were constantly attacked from creatures out of the darkness - the so called "deep ones" (strong Lovecraft influence). Because of their vulnerability, your men were either killed or lost their sanity... it was terrifying.
You could even do research. For example autopsies of the creatures you killed down in the sea. The X-COM series was one-of-a-kind!

Turn off the lights and listen to the music:

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVUXCp8_jo
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLVS-RSeGk
[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6a7v7QgSs
03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Find
Krymtel Offline

Threads: 9

What about this little quick game called Hide ?

Reminds me of Amnesia and Penumbra a lot since you can't fight back against monsters.

Eidolon Total Conversion (WIP)
11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

[Image: 7329b4cf_threadNecromancy.jpg]
Yay for resurrecting this thread...again

The only thing I have to say about this thread, is it's appalling how many video games were named that are not either 1. Remotely scary or 2. Have nothing to do with survival horror, honestly do any of you people know what survival horror even IS
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011, 10:02 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
11-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
11-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(11-21-2011, 11:37 PM)BlueFury Wrote: The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series
Now that is a good series

11-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

This is literally reviving and bumping an old thread, but c'mon, it's a good thread. I'll let it live.

11-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Website Find