Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Played Amnesia at last, met expectations!
Batman55 Offline

Threads: 2
Played Amnesia at last, met expectations!

I took a long time in getting a PC good enough to play Amnesia in full HD resolution, maxed out, and so on. It was worth the wait. Indeed, here is the rare game that exceeded expectations.

I thought I would point out I don't really get scared by games or movies anymore, either due to being jaded from having been exposed to so many, or just aging a bit. With that in mind, Amnesia was still able to surprise with a good scare often. I never thought I should scream or stop playing, but rather I was pleasantly surprised that I could still be scared at all. Of course, the horror atmosphere was spectacular.

The gothic-inspired themes, being locked inside a medieval castle, this has never looked better. While the game repeats textures frequently, what you see works perfectly well within the context, and looks great in an HD resolution.

The light-sanity technique, combined with the ominous sounds and music, virtually none of it cheesy... it was all calibrated with such obvious care and effort. The music and sound folks should hired again for your next title.

The gameplay was simple but not bland, the physics engine (did they use Havok physics?) always kept things interesting, it was fun to bash everything around in a crowded room or throw crap down the well. Forget shooting everything in sight, this game doesn't need it. Atmosphere is enough and it's rarely been done so well.

This may be a formula that's hard to improve. Of course, the game is not perfect. The few actual people in the game looked stiff. The story was a little thin, but this is an area where I'm unsure what to think... does a well-crafted horror game really need an elaborate story? I would have liked some more diversity with the monsters and perhaps a limited way to attack or stop them--not to satisfy the FPS crowd, but just to mix things up a bit. A better ending is an obvious suggestion. I know some find the game too short, but I have no complaints here--the game is polished and the experience is concentrated, avoiding unnecessary repetition.

With the kind of game Frictional has made--atmosphere first, gameplay and interface reduced for immersion--I imagine the story is the most challenging aspect. That's why it's hard to critique this area or to make suggestions.

For me at least, it's hard to recommend a new direction for Frictional to take in their next title (for purposes of ease, I'll exclude Machine for Pigs from this discussion, as it's being developed by another group). I'm aware it will use an improved engine, which always helps; there's no reason better graphics or lighting effects would detract from anything. And unless they want to add elements from other genres or try something completely different, I would say "bigger and better" is the only suggestion I have.

For the rest of you, what flaws did you find with the game?
05-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Played Amnesia at last, met expectations!

It's actually kinda easy to exploit the AI flaws in A:TDD once you knew them.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Find
Bonehead Offline

Threads: 12

Also remember.. I think there are 4 possible endings.. Which one did you get?
05-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Find
Batman55 Offline

Threads: 2

(05-17-2013, 08:04 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: It's actually kinda easy to exploit the AI flaws in A:TDD once you knew them.

There's that, of course. But I don't think the difficulty of the AI is an issue for those who don't rush through the game the first time playing, which IMO would totally defeat the point of Amnesia: TDD.

The point is the Frictional developers did their homework (their blog shows a thorough understanding of game and horror mechanics), they learned from the flaws in their older games, and they finally stumbled upon an almost perfect formula.

Is more of the same, with better technology behind it, the best way forward? Should they try something different? Alas, that's the question.

(05-17-2013, 08:20 AM)Bonehead Wrote: Also remember.. I think there are 4 possible endings.. Which one did you get?

I reloaded in the last segment and got three of them, each one lasting an average of 5 seconds. Not too impressive but understandable with this style of game.

Is there a secret fourth that I missed?
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM by Batman55.)
05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Yeah, if you stay for too long in the prison cell that the mob of grunts drag you in, you actually succumb to the shadow.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM by Tiger.)
05-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

It's actually pretty much the same as the bad ending, just earlier.
05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(05-17-2013, 08:24 AM)Batman55 Wrote:
(05-17-2013, 08:04 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: It's actually kinda easy to exploit the AI flaws in A:TDD once you knew them.

There's that, of course. But I don't think the difficulty of the AI is an issue for those who don't rush through the game the first time playing, which IMO would totally defeat the point of Amnesia: TDD.

The point is the Frictional developers did their homework (their blog shows a thorough understanding of game and horror mechanics), they learned from the flaws in their older games, and they finally stumbled upon an almost perfect formula.

Is more of the same, with better technology behind it, the best way forward? Should they try something different? Alas, that's the question.

(05-17-2013, 08:20 AM)Bonehead Wrote: Also remember.. I think there are 4 possible endings.. Which one did you get?

I reloaded in the last segment and got three of them, each one lasting an average of 5 seconds. Not too impressive but understandable with this style of game.

Is there a secret fourth that I missed?

05-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Spoiler below!

Does the "real" ending with Agrippa only last 5 seconds? I reckon it lasts at least 15...

Trying is the first step to success.
05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Find