Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Music Discussion thread
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
RE: Music Discussion thread

Hey. Since I have a music related question. And this is my thread after all.

If I wanted to use a classic music in a game I'm developing. Such as for example: Something Beethoven composed. Does anyone know how to buy the license to use such music? Because I'm aware I would have to buy it from those who played and recorded the music. I just don't know how. Where and the price.

Can someone help?
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM by Danny Boy.)
08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-05-2013, 03:23 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Hey. Since I have a music related question. And this is my thread after all.

If I wanted to use a classic music in a game I'm developing. Such as for example: Something Beethoven composed. Does anyone know how to buy the license to use such music? Because I'm aware I would have to buy it from those who played and recorded the music. I just don't know how. Where and the price.

Can someone help?

Yeah, go to http://imslp.org/. All of their recordings are public domain, so for example if you want Beethoven just go to Browse Recordings > Composers, find Beethoven and then select a work. If there is a recording of it you're free to use it. Many of them are also quite high quality, but of course not all of them will be.

EDIT: But if you're dead set on using some particular recording that's copyrighted you have to contact the musicians themselves or their agents and work something out.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM by Bridge.)
08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(08-05-2013, 04:53 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 03:23 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Hey. Since I have a music related question. And this is my thread after all.

Can someone help?

Yeah, go to http://imslp.org/. All of their recordings are public domain, so for example if you want Beethoven just go to Browse Recordings > Composers, find Beethoven and then select a work. If there is a recording of it you're free to use it. Many of them are also quite high quality, but of course not all of them will be.

EDIT: But if you're dead set on using some particular recording that's copyrighted you have to contact the musicians themselves or their agents and work something out.

Ah. Thank you! I knew you probably would be the one to reply!

I already found what I was looking for. And to be honest it has a surprisingly hight quality for a royalty free music.
08-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Website Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

(08-05-2013, 12:29 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 12:02 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(08-02-2013, 06:54 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(08-02-2013, 12:49 AM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: https://soundcloud.com/giggleblizzard/18-19-90-wip

work in progress but oh well, I finally decided to try making a chiptune, or atleast something in that chiptune/8bit style, so I decided to do what they loved doing in the 90's but never do today - make Electronical Blues

That's not bad. A little monotonous but definitely a good start. What did you use to make this?

Thanks, just FL Studio with the 3osc and then an external Magical8Bit plugin.

Here's a new one I've made, this one I've actually finished, my first finished one.

https://soundcloud.com/giggleblizzard/ce...adventures

This one has much more variation, and a completely different feel to it. I must have been thinking about Pokemon when I wrote it, cause a lot of parts are very similar to the music in Pokemon.

That's cool. I think the themes could have been much stronger and the modulations a little more tactfully handled but I like a lot of the ideas.

Indeed, I'm still fairly new to the chiptune thing, and making a song interesting and varied while staying true to it's theme and "feeling" is something I have not yet mastered, and it is in my opinion the most important aspect of a song.

Also as a pianist who doesn't really make electronical music that much it's terribly hard to be creative using the mouse to put notes on a piano roll.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013, 01:00 AM by GiggleBlizzard.)
08-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-19-2013, 12:58 AM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: Also as a pianist who doesn't really make electronical music that much it's terribly hard to be creative using the mouse to put notes on a piano roll.

I don't really think so. In some cases it makes implementing more complicated ideas tedious but you could always just notate the music ahead of time and then transfer it over.
08-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

my 11 year old cousin digs grindcore chrono

Posting Freak
08-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(08-21-2013, 04:30 PM)Kman Wrote: my 11 year old cousin digs grindcore chrono
His soul must be darker than challenger deep

[Image: p229xcq]
08-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

08-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

(08-19-2013, 12:51 PM)Bridge Wrote: I don't really think so. In some cases it makes implementing more complicated ideas tedious but you could always just notate the music ahead of time and then transfer it over.

Are you implying that I should sit down by a piano, write sheet music and then transfer it over to my chiptunes? I'm not making classical music here.

I want to get a midi keyboard most of all, only sucks I'm 17 and the only income I have is 80 euros a month from mom - and I use those to buy weed or alcohol because it's fucking expensive here in Sweden.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2013, 06:55 PM by GiggleBlizzard.)
08-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-21-2013, 06:54 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 12:51 PM)Bridge Wrote: I don't really think so. In some cases it makes implementing more complicated ideas tedious but you could always just notate the music ahead of time and then transfer it over.

Are you implying that I should sit down by a piano, write sheet music and then transfer it over to my chiptunes? I'm not making classical music here.

I want to get a midi keyboard most of all, only sucks I'm 17 and the only income I have is 80 euros a month from mom - and I use those to buy weed or alcohol because it's fucking expensive here in Sweden.

It doesn't matter how you record your ideas (you can even make a recording of yourself singing them), but standard notation is the most efficient way. It's well worth the effort to learn.

Anyway, my point was if you find it difficult to be creative by clicking around on the piano roll it's because it is. You should have a clear idea (preferably an exact idea) of what you want the music to sound like before you start typing in the notes, otherwise the interface can start to dictate to you what the idea is instead of the other way around.
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Find