Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Normals perspective problem
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
Normals perspective problem

In Blender, the model looks fine (Diffuse + Normal). I like it as it is, but when I put into the game... I get this problem with the normals, because if I look at it in the ModelView, I'm assuming the problem is the Normals because if I toggle the Normals off, the problem goes away.

Spoiler below!
[Image: n9oh.jpg]
If I face it just right, their is no problem. If I take a few steps to the left, it's really obvious, including the seam.
07-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Normals perspective problem

Bump, is their something I can do to fix this? The texture seam only appears if you look at it at an angle, I'm guessing their is something wrong with the "normal" map. But I'm not sure what to do.
07-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Mark the seams in the model.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
07-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

^
I did, the seam goes up vertical to the top of it. In the center of the red circle on the left is where the seam is, but it isn't visible if I look straight at it (The seam. The red circles mark the same spot on each model, just one is looking straight on while the other is at a slight angle.)

But if I take a couple of steps to the left and view the seam, it becomes horribly obvious.

This doesn't show up in Blender, only when I export it into Amnesia.

Edit: Is their something wrong with the .mat file? I see different variations in the "Main DepthTest" but I don't know the differences, is their a document telling each variation and what they are used for?

Spoiler below!
<Material>
    <Main DepthTest="True" PhysicsMaterial="Default" Type="SolidDiffuse" />
    <TextureUnits>
        <Diffuse AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="Cave Stalagmite 1_diff.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
        <NMap AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="Cave Stalagmite 1.png" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
    </TextureUnits>
    <SpecificVariables>
        <Var Name="HeightMapScale" Value="0.05000000074505806" />
        <Var Name="HeightMapBias" Value="0" />
        <Var Name="FrenselBias" Value="0.20000000298023224" />
        <Var Name="FrenselPow" Value="8" />
        <Var Name="AlphaDissolveFilter" Value="false" />
    </SpecificVariables>
</Material>

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2013, 12:48 AM by Rapture.)
07-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Maybe don't use the DepthTest.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
07-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

^
Played around with the settings, nothing worth mentioning happened...

Looking closer at my normal map, I'm pretty sure it's the problem. Although it's never really been a issue before though...

Spoiler below!
[Image: 960g.jpg]
On the left and right sides (Encircled in red), the colors are different, pink & purple. I'm guessing that is making the strange shadows on my model. Because the way the game takes the image and calculates whatever it needs to be. And since the model wraps around, they aren't matching together.

Encircled in green has closer colors on each side, and I don't see much noticeable effect if I look at the model on the top. So the top isn't a concern, just the middle and lower part.

/////////////////
(1) So, I would like to know if their is a way for me to correct this from Blender's Normal Baking (Version-2.61.1). (I'd really rather not fix it by hand if it takes longer than 30+ minutes for a simple model like this)
07-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

You need to flip your green channel.

Open the normal map up in photoshop, go to channels, select the green channel and hit CTRL + I, this will invert the green channel, now save the image out again.

Also the different colours or both sides are supposed to be like that, a normal map doesn't quite work like a normal texture, each colour represents a direction, they match up perfectly fine.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM by Traggey.)
07-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

In case Traggey's possible solution doesn't work, check your UV's. Sometimes, if you bake the normal map, it will do with different UV's.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

@Traggey - I tried flipping the Green channel like you asked, didn't do anything for the weird shadows along the seam.

I tried to flip Red Channel, and the Blue Channel (Which screws it up, but tried it anyways) and the 4 possible combinations. Nothing.

@The Chaser - I'm not sure what you mean ("it will do with different UV's"). But here is a screenshot of the Baking, incase you can point out what is wrong.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 6jz0.jpg]
07-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Can you upload the model files in an OBJ format along with the textures?

It it's not the green channel, then Blender must be doing something wierd.
07-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Find