Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Anyone know how to fix lagginess?
Mounce Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Anyone know how to fix lagginess?

[UPDATE] - Seems the update I found in FAQS fixed 2 of my problems, so last is this.

Why is the game so laggy?! I can run games like Half-Life 2 max and I know this game runs great physics and calculations but so does Half-Life 2 but it seems to be laggy or choppy no matter what I do, it lags no matter what the settings are put to pretty much and to me the visuals arent that impressive so that it has to lag that badly. It's weird. It maybe runs below 25FPS

My computers specs are as follows incase this helps

Pentium 4 3.0GHz w/ Hyperthreading
1.5GB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro

and Yes, right before I started to play the game just yesterday I had Updated my Graphics Drivers, so they are not outdated. I even reinstalled the game fully and it didn't help.
08-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Anyone know how to fix lagginess?

Do you have any background tasks?
Penumbra has bit more after-effects than halflife does, so you can't expect the same performance.
Also, penumbras physics are alot more complex than half lifes.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
08-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Find
Mounce Offline

WindexGlow Wrote:Do you have any background tasks?
Penumbra has bit more after-effects than halflife does, so you can't expect the same performance.
Also, penumbras physics are alot more complex than half lifes.

Even half-life 2? like in Penumbra Overture you can easily see or assume that it doesnt have as great physics as you can't even flip the objects and they all seem to have a specified 'weighted-bottom' so they rarely flip and wont roll or react realistically to the law of gravity and momentum or etc

throw a box and it will stay stay perfectly on the same side and nor whirl around etc, is what I mean, same with a rock. (I know in 2nd, Black Plague, its then a different story and you CAN flip things, but not overture)

So how can its physics be more stressful?

I can understand course if its superior to half-life 1 but half-life 2? With the gravity gun and etc, doesnt seem likely :\ unless I can be proven wrong.

and no, I made sure all background processes were all off
08-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

It might be that Half-Life and other games are more optimized? I mean they are made more carefully, to reduce lag?

Just look at Gothic3, now that's nightmare!

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
08-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Find
Mounce Offline

I guess that could make more sense. I'm not really sure of the team or the developing process that went through with Penumbra Overture, just that it was infact just a little 'Interactive-For-Showing-Purposes-Only' type thing, then turned into a game, got a demo, and its own episode :\.....
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Find
Paulaner Offline

Threads: 0

Big companies have more people, more money and more time to streamline and optimize. Frictional has much less coding human resources (one dev, two devs?) and my opinion the guys are real miracle workers!
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Find