Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help problems with exporting a monster from maya
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
problems with exporting a monster from maya

Hello I have made a monster and when I try to export it I am getting these 2 similar warnings. model viewer and everything also crashes when I attemp to load the exported file.
[Image: ohMeITU.jpg]

Heres some more specific info:

The monster has been modeled, rigged, skinned and animated(currently only one animation made since I want to figure out the export workflow first) in Blender and then imported into maya as an FBX with the animation intact and everything appearing fine.
I have followed the tips from acies found here and im am pretty sure they have been followed correctly.
( with exception of the step of baking the animation, I assume I was supposed to use the bake simulation option but I am still unsure.)

it should also be noted that the export issue is certainly related to the animations or rig as the model exports just fine on its own.

If theres any other information you need to help me then please ask
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 01:07 PM by WALP.)
08-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: problems with exporting a monster from maya

You do realize that Blender Armatures doesn't work on Amnesia right?

EDIT: Mis-read it. You rig it in Maya.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 01:21 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(08-01-2013, 01:18 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: You do realize that Blender Armatures doesn't work on Amnesia right?

EDIT: Mis-read it. You rig it in Maya.

No it was not rigged in maya, it was rigged in blender and then exported to Maya thereby turning the armature into a Maya skeleton
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

UPDATE:

I have tried exporting without including animation and I still get the warnings from maya and crashes from hpl2.
This makes it very likely that the problem has to do with the rig and the skinning rather then the animation it self, though it is still not certain as the warnings might not be the actual problem at all

EDIT: here's the crash log I get if I try to open it in the model editor if thats any use
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM by WALP.)
08-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

UPDATE:

[Image: KNqWKVG.jpg]

Since this was not a case of normal animation export from maya, but a re-export from blender, I decided to try and do a quick test with something simple, just to see if I was able to export rigs or animations at all.
this little block and its bendy animation did to my surprice crash the model viewer and even gave me the same warnings. For once I was actually pretty happy about that because if it had not, it would be heavily hinting that something was wrong with them being from blender and that I might have to completely re-skin/re-rig my model in maya, but now that the same is happening even with this simple test it leads me to believe that I wont have to go that far, and that I will most likely be able to solve the problem with a setting of sorts within maya.
08-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Im fumbling in the blind here, any help/advice/tip would be great
08-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Are you using the FBX plugin/exporter? If so, that's probably the problem, for some reason, FBX plugin won't work. You should export with OpenCOLLADA or ColladaMaya, but you're gonna have to dig a bit to find out what Maya versions are supported. Also, if you open the dae files of the monsters that came with the original game, or some of the animated characters from some custom stories, in a plain text editor (DAE are just text in XML format), near the top there should be an auto-generated description section with details on export settings, so that could help as well.

ColladaMaya can be found here: http://colladamaya.sourceforge.net/
(more specifically, here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/colladam...3.05C.exe/)

But, that one is a little outdated, and generally, if you find newer versions, like the one here, it will be distributed as the source files that you would need to compile yourself (I know, crazy, but that distribution philosophy originated in the linux developer community, and they are all about "do-it-yourself"). It is possible that the binaries, compiled by a third party can be found on the web somewhere. Also, if someone here on the forum has it, that person could attach or send you the plugin.

I'll see if I can find out more.

LOL, that didn't take me long!
Here you go - download here (.msi installer or .zip): https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCOLL...LADA-Tools
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013, 08:01 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(08-02-2013, 07:43 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: Are you using the FBX plugin/exporter? If so, that's probably the problem, for some reason, FBX plugin won't work. You should export with OpenCOLLADA or ColladaMaya, but you're gonna have to dig a bit to find out what Maya versions are supported. Also, if you open the dae files of the monsters that came with the original game, or some of the animated characters from some custom stories, in a plain text editor (DAE are just text in XML format), near the top there should be an auto-generated description section with details on export settings, so that could help as well.

ColladaMaya can be found here: http://colladamaya.sourceforge.net/
(more specifically, here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/colladam...3.05C.exe/)

But, that one is a little outdated, and generally, if you find newer versions, like the one here, it will be distributed as the source files that you would need to compile yourself (I know, crazy, but that distribution philosophy originated in the linux developer community, and they are all about "do-it-yourself"). It is possible that the binaries, compiled by a third party can be found on the web somewhere. Also, if someone here on the forum has it, that person could attach or send you the plugin.

I'll see if I can find out more.

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it

I have been using openCOLLADA to export, and right now I was actually looking inside the original monster's collada files as well as another modders monster file in notepad++.

I did not know that openCOLLADA and ColladaMaya were 2 different things and considering both of the reference files im looking at right now were using that it does seem like its the way to go, at least its worth the try :)

(08-02-2013, 07:43 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: I'll see if I can find out more.

LOL, that didn't take me long!
Here you go - download here (.msi installer or .zip): https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCOLL...LADA-Tools

oh but thats the one I am already using, I even recognize the download page

in other news I am very insecure about the collada maya version, as according to the installation instruction in the link page it only supports up to maya 2010, and my version is 2011.

Also I should probably have said so in an update earlier but I have discovered that the warnings I am getting are related to animation, as I do not get the warnings when exporting without animations(though still having a rig). regardless the rig is still enough to crash the model viewer/editor which is not surpricing as I doubt it is even supported to import without animations.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM by WALP.)
08-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

This post will self-destruct in an unknown point in time.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM by WALP.)
08-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I like how this thread has passed to a more-or-less help thread to a diary of a modeller (a mug).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Find