Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Copyright
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
Copyright

At first I don't know where to put this, so I figured why not put it here. You can move it to some section you Mods.

So I'm having a custom story developed, and most of the assets are mine. I put a copyright thing that states you can't use any of the assets involved. But what happens if a guy just uses it? What do I do?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Copyright

Very little. In theory it's illegal for anyone to use your assets but in practice it's difficult to prove that they are in fact yours. You can register a copyright (which costs money) and then it will be more difficult for people to steal your stuff but if the person that uses your assets is situated in another country you are basically fucked. You can sue internationally but you will end up spending so much money it's not worth it.
08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

You are completely powerless if a guy wants to use your assets. You can only scream and insult them. Unless you want to spend money, cash money for an actual copyright, which is not worth it at all considering you make no cash money cash for custom stories.

*cash money*

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013, 02:26 AM by Juby.)
08-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(08-05-2013, 02:38 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: At first I don't know where to put this, so I figured why not put it here. You can move it to some section you Mods.

So I'm having a custom story developed, and most of the assets are mine. I put a copyright thing that states you can't use any of the assets involved. But what happens if a guy just uses it? What do I do?
Most mods that are proven to have copyrighted material (models from other games, for example) are banned from the forum. Other than that, I like to think that most of the people on the forum are kind enough to respect your (and other people's) intellectual property

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
08-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

^
Same as what was stated above, you can't do anything and nothing will happen, unless you plan to take it to court. Which only applies to countries (And in most cases, only applies in addition to, specific people/companies or special interest groups) that give a shit.

Example: Chinese company is caught stealing I.P. from a American company (small or big), neither government will take you serious and will laugh at you.

On another note, just for you personally, think about the cycle of Karma.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013, 02:59 AM by Rapture.)
08-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Oh well. So right now I'm going to give them out by free once it's released (with exception of a few models that's not made by me).

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Find