Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
What do modders and creators think, from their unique perspective and experience?
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27
RE: Seniors only please.

Ugh this is horrible... I didn't say that junior members and regular members etc are uneducated I said that I wanted the community I know personally! To share their opinions, The people I've seen create mods and discussed things with before.
Is it really that hard to understand this?

But hey it's the internet, what can you do...

Please close this thread.

- Inactive account -
09-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I also literally just finished the game.
I'm amazed.
Totally agree with the story-telling more than playing.
Spoiler below!

But I must stop you there.
I have an opinion here: The first part of the game was the best!
That was when we had the pigs introduced... That was really scary. Walking in a city of the dead, with no people. The feeling... That was good...

Walking around underground following a linear storyline. That's just not the same... The enemies could've been used other ways, except for in the beginning.

Loved the beginning. The ending faded a bit...

Trying is the first step to success.
09-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Find
blueberry Away

Threads: 11

I agree with JAP you couldn't throw items at all! You could mostly just press M2 and the item would just drop instead of being thrown, either way for a game experience like this and Esther... I would give it.

9/10

[Image: 80912c88643a023617c8c4165f3dad77.png] Gimme a sex~

- Some twat 2014
09-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

I enjoyed AMFP overall, but it felt cut-down and had a really weak final act.

Spoiler below!

Story 8/10

The story started out pretty nice, but it left me with more questions than answers and many plot points were left unexplained. How did the machine work? How did it relate to vitae and The Orb? What actually happens in the ending? What happened in Mexico? How did the pig monsters come to be?

The writing is good from an artistic POV but fails at explaining plot points IMO.

Gameplay 5/10

Not only is the lack of inventory, tinderboxes, oil, sanity and interactive environment a step down from TDD, but the levels felt more linear with less exploration and weaker puzzles. And it's too short, especially for a game that was delayed for more than a year.

Atmosphere & Scares 7.5/10

The atmosphere and scares in the first half of the game were brilliant in the first half but significantly fade in the second half of the game. Also, the monsters could have been much more imaginative and otherwordly.

Sound 9/10

The game's strongest point IMO. The only reason it doesn't get a 10/10 is because the pig monsters' footsteps aren't as menacing as in TDD and there is no terror meter.

Verdict 7/10

I enjoyed it overall, but the second half feels just like The Rickenbacker in System Shock 2. Level design stops making sense, the gameplay and story looses it's edge, and it becomes less scary. And the ending left me disappointed with many questions were unanswered.

If it had a better ending it would be a 8.5-9/10

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 04:34 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
09-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23
RE: What do modders and creators think, from their unique perspective and experience?

I liked most of the game and some of its new features and I did not mind the fact that we had no sanity, no inventory, and no limited lantern power. My only problem with it was it lacked interactivity with objects, and there was a bit too many notes and memos to read.

I loved it when I first saw some things I never would have expected in the first game, like the manpig nest in the sewer, actual people around the town when the pigapocalypse strikes, and finally some guns... that you can't use. Sad

Who needs guns anyway, I can kill piggies by electrocuting them in water. Lots of memorable moments by the way.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1
RE: What do modders and creators think, from their unique perspective and experience?

I have described my disappointment as a player elsewhere already. But since this thread is obviously more asking for a design perspective, I'll add one more thing to that here. I haven't made an Amnesia mod/a custom story, neither am I posting here often anymore (stopped when I felt that jumpscare-pony-maps flooded the custom-story-section). But I have made some rather big maps for another game.

Coming from that, one big negative thing for me was how the game would block off the paths behind me once I reached a new area - sometimes in the cheapest possible way by just placing a wall where just had been a door.
09-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

(09-13-2013, 08:52 PM)crashbfan Wrote: I can criticize the game if I fuckin want, I don't have to have hundreds of posts on a forum to do so, either.

Well there's like a hundred other threads for that. And you clearly didn't understand what I meant...

- Inactive account -
09-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

I like the game thus far , but graphic-wise it has taken imho a step back.
atmosphere of game is good but paralax occlusion mapping (pom) is not very noticable in this game(looks kinda flat) compared to Amnesia DD :
[Image: 2w3nmfm.jpg]

?
09-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-13-2013, 04:16 PM)Zandrojakov Wrote: Ugh this is horrible... I didn't say that junior members and regular members etc are uneducated I said that I wanted the community I know personally! To share their opinions, The people I've seen create mods and discussed things with before.
Is it really that hard to understand this?

Even so I would not say their opinion is any more valuable, or invaluable than anyone else's just because they've made mods before, or discussed certain aspects. Not even mine is.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-14-2013, 05:37 AM
Find