Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A:AMFP [Soundtrack Preorder]
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0
RE: A:AMFP [Soundtrack Preorder]

The Mandus track is beyond beautiful.
09-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Sounds perfect. Will definitely pick it up at some point. I've been just as excited for the soundtrack as the game itself.
09-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-04-2013, 09:30 PM)Bridge Wrote: I don't mean to be a debbie downer here since everyone seems to be loving it so much but I just feel that it is poor all around. Even if there are some interesting ideas the tracks are so monotone that any effect that might be attained is lost. I find the textures to be uninteresting, no interesting rhythmic ideas, harmony you can see coming from a mile away, you name it. Although I do appreciate the use of glass harmonica which is a rare occurrence in scores, especially video games scores, the orchestration in general I find to be boring. Also, I'm not sure if Jessica intended for the pedal to be used in such a violent way in Mandus but it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows what good pedaling sounds like. Even if it was intentional, it is of such poor effect I have to call her judgement into question.

Pretty extreme to call her work boring/uninteresting/ridiculous/monotone/questionable/poor, innit? Just because it doesn't fit your taste doesn't make it terrible.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 10:07 PM by Alardem.)
09-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Find
XDamienDaKillaX Offline

(09-04-2013, 09:30 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 08:29 PM)Paddy Wrote: @Bridge: what do you think it was about the soundtrack that didn't appeal to you?

I don't mean to be a debbie downer here since everyone seems to be loving it so much but I just feel that it is poor all around. Even if there are some interesting ideas the tracks are so monotone that any effect that might be attained is lost. I find the textures to be uninteresting, no interesting rhythmic ideas, harmony you can see coming from a mile away, you name it. Although I do appreciate the use of glass harmonica which is a rare occurrence in scores, especially video games scores, the orchestration in general I find to be boring. Also, I'm not sure if Jessica intended for the pedal to be used in such a violent way in Mandus but it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows what good pedaling sounds like. Even if it was intentional, it is of such poor effect I have to call her judgement into question.
You have to realize this is a soundtrack for a horror game. It is meant to fit into the atmosphere, and I can agree that some tracks do sound boring listening to it simply staring at a monitor, but I bet that in-game the tracks will have a much different effect on you.
09-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-04-2013, 10:05 PM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 09:30 PM)Bridge Wrote: I don't mean to be a debbie downer here since everyone seems to be loving it so much but I just feel that it is poor all around. Even if there are some interesting ideas the tracks are so monotone that any effect that might be attained is lost. I find the textures to be uninteresting, no interesting rhythmic ideas, harmony you can see coming from a mile away, you name it. Although I do appreciate the use of glass harmonica which is a rare occurrence in scores, especially video games scores, the orchestration in general I find to be boring. Also, I'm not sure if Jessica intended for the pedal to be used in such a violent way in Mandus but it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows what good pedaling sounds like. Even if it was intentional, it is of such poor effect I have to call her judgement into question.

Pretty extreme to call her work boring/uninteresting/ridiculous/monotone/questionable/poor, innit? Just because it doesn't fit your taste doesn't make it terrible.

Would you have preferred it if I had strewn about IMOs and I thinks to feign tact? Of course everything I said is just my opinion and you are free to disregard it, but I am allowed to express my opinion in a more elaborate way than "I like it" or "I don't like it". I told you what I dislike about it, now either come up with a rebuttal or take a moment to quietly reflect.

(09-04-2013, 10:47 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 09:30 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 08:29 PM)Paddy Wrote: @Bridge: what do you think it was about the soundtrack that didn't appeal to you?

I don't mean to be a debbie downer here since everyone seems to be loving it so much but I just feel that it is poor all around. Even if there are some interesting ideas the tracks are so monotone that any effect that might be attained is lost. I find the textures to be uninteresting, no interesting rhythmic ideas, harmony you can see coming from a mile away, you name it. Although I do appreciate the use of glass harmonica which is a rare occurrence in scores, especially video games scores, the orchestration in general I find to be boring. Also, I'm not sure if Jessica intended for the pedal to be used in such a violent way in Mandus but it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows what good pedaling sounds like. Even if it was intentional, it is of such poor effect I have to call her judgement into question.
You have to realize this is a soundtrack for a horror game. It is meant to fit into the atmosphere, and I can agree that some tracks do sound boring listening to it simply staring at a monitor, but I bet that in-game the tracks will have a much different effect on you.

That has nothing to do with it. While I don't think the score to Amnesia is great, that has a lot of very interesting things going on in it.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM by Bridge.)
09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Find
XDamienDaKillaX Offline

Unfortunately, I analyzed the track names and I may have come up with a major spoiler.
Spoiler below!
The Track "Mandus" Does sound quite sad. Maybe Oswald dies? This makes sense, as it seems the soundtrack is organized in order of appearance. You may be thinking, how does Oswald die if there is still more to the soundtrack? The next track is entitled "Only to Save You", maybe Oswald died for a reason? The next track, "The New Century" may not be in chronological order as it doesn't quite fit with my theory. However, here is the big thing. The next track is called "I Breathe Again". The next is called A Machine for Pigs. Is has been clear that Oswald is not a good person. Therefore, a pig. Maybe he is brought back in the Machine? Maybe that "The World is a machine, a machine for pigs fit only for the slaughtering of pigs" voice is a flashback.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 11:19 PM by XDamienDaKillaX.)
09-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-04-2013, 10:50 PM)Bridge Wrote: Would you have preferred it if I had strewn about IMOs and I thinks to feign tact? Of course everything I said is just my opinion and you are free to disregard it, but I am allowed to express my opinion in a more elaborate way than "I like it" or "I don't like it". I told you what I dislike about it, now either come up with a rebuttal or take a moment to quietly reflect.

Considering you've got more experience with music than me, I respect your opinion. And I'm free to say that I absolutely disagree with you. There's a lot of interesting things occurring within the samples we've heard thus far. The ambient horror tracks evoke a mood of industrial decay and discomfort, the calmer songs retain a sense of underlying melancholy much like a certain few tracks from Penumbra, and the 'Machine' theme crescendos to accentuate whatever revelation it will accompany.

It's a style that does not emulate but instead complements the soundtracks of other Frictional games, and I'm eager to see it with proper context. The music has taken on a more epic mood to match its Victorian theme.

As for the Machine track:

Spoiler below!
The voice in the latter half of that song is slightly muffled and echoes, evoking a man trapped in a metal box. Presumably it is the "Machine" itself. I imagine the scene to resemble the human slaughterhouses from Quake 4, accompanied by all those screams that the developers asked for back in Halloween.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 06:02 AM by Alardem.)
09-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Find
Derxor Offline

Threads: 1

Will we get a physical copy or just dlc?
Edit: I should really consider doing a bit of research before posting stuff like this

My youtube channel where I do some guitar covers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84Ttln...muSOA0bFHA
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM by Derxor.)
09-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Website Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

I get the feeling I got spoilt just by reading the titles names one by one.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM by felixmole.)
09-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Hi Derxor, I asked Jessica on Twitter and she said that she hopes to have a physical release if there's enough demand.

(09-05-2013, 02:42 PM)felixmole Wrote: I get the feeling I got spoilt just by reading the titles names one by one.

Oh, good thing that I only read the first few titles on the tracklist.

09-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Find